Steve McClaren

Dave

From the 3rd best team in Spain, to the 19th in England. Aye.

That's not exactly how football works mind, but fair enough.

Couldn't be bothered to respond. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's a helluva drop.  You have to think he could do better.  Everton type team no lower.  Benitez hasn't taken over a team not in Europe as far as I can remember.  Valencia job available in the summer.  Man U and Chelsea jobs will cause a merry go round which might open doors for him

We can offer managers a lot really, we just choose not to. No chance Benitez is thinking "lol not managing 19th in the prem lol"

There's a chance he would come in the summer if given total control over everything, also if we stay up of course. I think the chances of him risking his reputation with 9 games to go and a big chance of getting relegated is practically nil

Prepare yourself for bad news. Once they've thought about it, they'll realise no c*** will come to us who is any better than McClaren and so stick with him and publicly back him and say everything is fine. They done it with Carver last year if you remember.

Not even Carver had the club in such a bad position IIRC, despite that abysmal run. But yeah, precedent is not encouraging.

I think the difference this time, apart from the big TV money at stake, is the fact that they chose and waited for McClaren. Then he had a summer of spending (probably little say in those signings), then after disappointing results, he got to spend more (and signifiganlty) choose some of his own players in January, but we are now worse off and heading down.

Looking back at history, Pardew's first full season we finished 5th - then they gave him the contract extension up to 8 years as they feared England might come knocking. That may have contributed to him not being sacked.

McClaren only got a 3yr contract, didn't he? As someone else said, he's failed miserably at all targets he was set this season, and been given better resources/funds than predecessors.

That is why I believe (perhaps naively) that Ashley may take action this time.

Really hope you're right. I however, don't hold out much hope of Ashley getting this right. Even if he does sack him, he'll employ some other crap lower league manager (who has been sacked) as he has a habit of it...

From the 3rd best team in Spain, to the 19th in England. Aye.

500k per win and a £5m bonus for keeping us up, I'm sure he'd be tempted.

This for barely three months work, of course he would come. There's fat chance of Billy Smart stumping up that kind of cash though even if it is the only sensible solution to our predicament.

Guest firetotheworks

There's a massive difference between us and Sunderland like. They could take the piss all the like, I'm not going to cater my opinions to them lot.

At the end of the day there's a lot we can offer Benitez as a club if we wanted to.

That's why there's no difference.

There's a massive difference between us and Sunderland like. They could take the piss all the like, I'm not going to cater my opinions to them lot.

At the end of the day there's a lot we can offer Benitez as a club if we wanted to.

That's what I mean though, maybe wires are getting crossed. I fully believe it's as simple as the club flicking a switch and deciding we want to stop being shit though, it's a pretty unique situation as a football club.

EDIT: FWIW I'm not saying Benitez will come here :lol:

It's this kind of attitude why we accepted McClaren. "Well who else we going to get, noone will come" well aye because we actively don't want them, that's why we're fucking shit.

That's not true at all, there's a world of difference between accepting McClaren and believing someone like Benitez would want to come here. Literally.

Guest firetotheworks

That's what I mean though, maybe wires are getting crossed. I fully believe it's as simple as the club flicking a switch and deciding we want to stop being shit though, it's a pretty unique situation as a football club.

EDIT: FWIW I'm not saying Benitez will come here :lol:

Definitely. There's nothing to suggest that that flick will be switched, because they don't think there's a switch to switch and if there is, they've already switched it. From my point of view it's not really acceptance with McClaren, we all knew he'd be shit, it's probably more that I just don't really care anymore, let them get on with it and then we'll pick up the pieces when it's finally over.

No news from any journalists out there today?

The silence is down to the club doing absolutely fuck all to remedy it. Journo's are just speculating at the moment, but we know exactly how they operate.

Ashley has spunked 80 million for nothing, will loose out on the TV Money and when we go down, if the fans totally abandon going, he's going to see it as a ongoing concern.  Get shot of a large chunk of revenue and he'll be looking to sell asap.

What's the upshot of Benitez joining now?  If he keeps us up he won't get a ton of credit. If we are relegated his reputation takes a massive blow. Failing at 2 jobs in 12 months. 

We are in a desperate situation and only somewhat desperate managers will take us on. I genuinely think Moyes and Rodgers would be ambitious appointments in this particular situation.  Th next job for both of them is massive. You would think an appointment in the summer with a midtable club or a pre-January appointment at one of those clubs if they are underachieving.  But in the relegation zone with 10 games to go.  I think we can get one of them but we have to realise we are in absolutely dire straights.