Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest neesy111

George Boateng saying on SSN now that he was working here from January up until McClaren was sacked. Did the club ever say anything?

I think he was working unofficially.

You set us on this path, Steve. Thanks very much.

Well, in fairness.  The rot started with Pardew.  Carver then managed to somehow make it worse :lol: 

McClaren just continued the s*** work of his predecessors.

I think you are being very kind to Mcclaren tbh. He/the club spent a s*** load of money on the squad during his time here, and we ended up somehow worse :lol:

Of course we didn't buy in key areas that we needed, but the players we have are capable of better than relegation fodder ffs :lol:

Guest chopey

I think he was given the majority of the players by Carr but as soon as he said he would work under those conditions then that immediately made him the wrong bloke for the job

You set us on this path, Steve. Thanks very much.

Well, in fairness.  The rot started with Pardew.  Carver then managed to somehow make it worse :lol: 

McClaren just continued the s*** work of his predecessors.

I think you are being very kind to Mcclaren tbh. He/the club spent a s*** load of money on the squad during his time here, and we ended up somehow worse :lol:

Of course we didn't buy in key areas that we needed, but the players we have are capable of better than relegation fodder ffs :lol:

I'm not sticking up for him, in any way.  He is a terrible manager and it was an awful appointment. 

But Pardew had a very talented squad in a relegation scrap a few years back.  Carver took a team that were doing alright'ish, as in, they were on one of Pardew's streaks, into a relegation scrap. 

I think the rot started long ago and I don't think it is Schteve that set us on this path.  It started way back. 

Ultimately, we've been shit for pretty much the whole time Ashley has owned us.  It's just one bad decision after another and acting on them when it's too late.

I agree. My wording wasn't the best.

I was thinking purely in the context of this season.

I'm pissed at him because my overriding thought when he was appointed was 'Pretty shit, but at least we won't be in a relegation scrap again'.

I gave him far too much credit, clearly.

Can't disagree with any of that.  I was so happy that we had got rid of Carver and Pardew.  That I had low expectations of him, but would have been happy with half decent football and a mid-table finish. 

That was too much to ask, of course  :weep:

I'm pissed at him because my overriding thought when he was appointed was 'Pretty shit, but at least we won't be in a relegation scrap again'.

why i'll always (now) despise mcclaren is that when it was very clear he had no answers to the situation he hung on and on and on, had he had the integrity to walk earlier then it would have forced the hand of a fucking incompetent like charnley and we might have got rafa earlier

as it was he sat week in week out with his stupid fucking grinning face telling us things were magnificent

everything comes down to ashley and charnley but he's got a lot to answer for

Inspite of all the wider issues at the club, unbelievable that he couldn't even get this side to finish in 17th. Really outdid himself in terms of how shit he was. Became clear early on that he was utterly clueless and was having zero effect on the players. Couldn't improve the attack and the defense was a shambles. I'd go as far to say he's the worst manager we've had. Souness was fucking diabolical to be fair but I hated him for his arrogance.

I'll always remember McClaren smiling in interviews after another disastrous defeat.....fucking smiling man. Just shows how completely out of touch he was.

I remember reading somewhere when he was appointed that McClaren was an OK manager to keep things ticking overr but that he was not able to improve teams.

Therefore had we finished the previous season comfortably mid-table, he would probably have coped but there was no way he would be able to improve a a struggling team and especially one that that has just escaped relegation.

I love to know what kind of research goes into searching for a new manager because they just don't get what kind of manager NUFC needs.

I remember reading somewhere when he was appointed that McClaren was an OK manager to keep things ticking overr but that he was not able to improve teams.

Therefore had we finished the previous season comfortably mid-table, he would probably have coped but there was no way he would be able to improve a a struggling team and especially one that that has just escaped relegation.

I love to know what kind of research goes into searching for a new manager because they just don't get what kind of manager NUFC needs.

Research :lol: :lol:

I'm p*ssed at him because my overriding thought when he was appointed was 'Pretty s***, but at least we won't be in a relegation scrap again'.

why i'll always (now) despise mcclaren is that when it was very clear he had no answers to the situation he hung on and on and on, <b>had he had the integrity to walk earlier</b> then it would have forced the hand of a f***ing incompetent like charnley and we might have got rafa earlier

as it was he sat week in week out with his stupid f***ing grinning face telling us things were magnificent

:lol: That expression always makes me smile. As if anyone, in any walk of life, would quit a job (well paid or not) because they weren't making a good job of it. I am yet to see anyone with "integrity" in any walk of life it seems.

That being said, McClaren is, and always will be, a mediocre manager. He came in, attempted to stir things up (whether the signings were his or not - I suspect not in most cases), and failed miserably. I still put most of the blame for our current predicament down to Ashley, Charnley, Carr and co before McClaren however.

has he not himself walked from at least one job because it wasn't working out?  i agree it's the exception but we've had one manager in our past who did it, because all of the shite we've had since then have clung onto the job to dredge every last penny out of it doesn't mean i should consider that acceptable

I'm p*ssed at him because my overriding thought when he was appointed was 'Pretty s***, but at least we won't be in a relegation scrap again'.

why i'll always (now) despise mcclaren is that when it was very clear he had no answers to the situation he hung on and on and on, <b>had he had the integrity to walk earlier</b> then it would have forced the hand of a f***ing incompetent like charnley and we might have got rafa earlier

as it was he sat week in week out with his stupid f***ing grinning face telling us things were magnificent

:lol: That expression always makes me smile. As if anyone, in any walk of life, would quit a job (well paid or not) because they weren't making a good job of it. I am yet to see anyone with "integrity" in any walk of life it seems.

That being said, McClaren is, and always will be, a mediocre manager. He came in, attempted to stir things up (whether the signings were his or not - I suspect not in most cases), and failed miserably. I still put most of the blame for our current predicament down to Ashley, Charnley, Carr and co before McClaren however.

Gullit walked and didn't seek any sort of pay-off. Unlike that c*** Dalglish who got the push and then took us to court for his pay-off having destroyed the team utterly and left the share price at well under half of what it had been when he slunk into town.

He should have been paying us, the c***.

Gullit walked and didn't seek any sort of pay-off. Unlike that cunt Dalglish who got the and then took us to court for his pay-off having destroyed the team utterly and left the share price at well under half of what it was when he slunk into town.

He should have been paying us, the cunt.

Dalglish took us to court?  Never knew that.

Gullit walked and didn't seek any sort of pay-off. Unlike that c*** Dalglish who got the and then took us to court for his pay-off having destroyed the team utterly and left the share price at well under half of what it was when he slunk into town.

I think we coughed up before it got that far but 'lawyers had been instructed' and a hearing arranged. FS' rationale was as above - he figured that Dalglish owed us money for his gross imcompetence but a contract is a contract, and we settled. He did the same after his hilarious stint as Celtic boss.

[emoji38] That expression always makes me smile. As if anyone, in any walk of life, would quit a job (well paid or not) because they weren't making a good job of it. I am yet to see anyone with "integrity" in any walk of life it seems.

Gullit walked and didn't seek any sort of pay-off. Unlike that c*** Dalglish who got the and then took us to court for his pay-off having destroyed the team utterly and left the share price at well under half of what it was when he slunk into town.

I think we coughed up before it got that far but 'lawyers had been instructed' and a hearing arranged. FS' rationale was as above - he owed us money for his gross imcompetence but a contract is a contract, and we settled. He did the same after his hilarious stint as Celtic boss.

Sake man.

[emoji38] That expression always makes me smile. As if anyone, in any walk of life, would quit a job (well paid or not) because they weren't making a good job of it. I am yet to see anyone with "integrity" in any walk of life it seems.

I think we coughed up before it got that far but 'lawyers had been instructed' and a hearing arranged. FS' rationale was as above - he owed us money for his gross imcompetence but a contract is a contract, and we settled. He did the same after his hilarious stint as Celtic boss.

Sake man.

Very 'him' sort of behaviour. He did it again after stinking the place out in his 2nd stint at  Liverpool, then returned to the club a a NED. A nasty piece of work by many accounts as borne out by his performance re: Suarez. I also hear that there are significant differences between his reported post-Hillsborough behaviour, and the reality.

Oh, and the blatant cowardice needs a mention as well. I could have managed the LFC side he inherited in 1985 to the double, and its subsequent successes but the very instant (4-4 v. EFC in the cup in 1991) it became obvious that his side was ageing and needed a complete overhal, he didn't see him for dust - citing unspecified 'health problems' (which had cleared up by October, he pitched up at Ewood Park.

Throughout his (managerial) career, he's been very well rewarded (and very litigious) for very little return.