Steve McClaren

Dave

Why does Bobby Rosbson get credit for turning us down when he wasn't even in a managerial role elsewhere, but McClaren gets hammered for committing to his current club when connected to us?

When did this happen, for a start? When did he get credit for it, supposing pretending it did?

I guess because Bobby Robson was one of the best managers in the world where as Steve McClaren is shit and doesn't deserve the job.

interesting the word "deserve" being thrown around a lot in here...who does deserve a shot at the job out of interest?

I guess because Bobby Robson was one of the best managers in the world where as Steve McClaren is s*** and doesn't deserve the job.

interesting the word "deserve" being thrown around a lot in here...who does deserve a shot at the job out of interest?

Me, I'm fucking quality.

Or someone who has some recent success in top flight football.

Why does Bobby Rosbson get credit for turning us down when he wasn't even in a managerial role elsewhere, but McClaren gets hammered for committing to his current club when connected to us?

When did this happen, for a start? When did he get credit for it, supposing pretending it did?

"Robson honoured his contract with Barcelona"

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7126171.Sir_John_praise_for_Bobby/

but McClaren "turned us down"

So he was in a managerial role elsewhere.

Robson turned us down before he took the job because he wasnt offered enough cash.

He didn't turn 'us' down. I'm sick of repeating this on here now. He turned down an utterly derisory salary.

I don't hold any ill will whatsoever towards McClaren for 'turning us down'. 100% of the embarrassment and shame of that lies with the club.

Aye. Thing is when he first turned us down, the club was levels above McClaren. Should never have been in the running back then so to turn us down then, fair play to him imo. This time, we're about his level.

So he was in a managerial role elsewhere.

No.  He'd been shifted upstairs.

He'd been shifted upstairs by January 1997 when Keegan quit?

Stand corrected, was the end of that season.

Still have no issue with McClaren honouring a contract though.  Not that I believe NUFC had any intention of paying compensation if he'd show a willingness to walk out.

My issue was with you erroneously bringing Bobby into it. I agree re. McClaren.

Not sure why?

2 managers that stayed with their current clubs when approached by NUFC, no-one gave a shit about the previous snub when  Robson did eventually come.

I've no problem if someone is happy Robson came despite a snub cos he's great and Peaved McClaren came despite a snub because he's shit.

But the snubs aren't the issue, it's the quality of managerr and they're stirring shit going on about "turning us down"

Not sure why?

2 managers that stayed with their current clubs when approached by NUFC, no-one gave a s*** about the previous snub when  Robson did eventually come.

I've no problem if someone is happy Robson came despite a snub cos he's great and Peaved McClaren came despite a snub because he's s***.

But the snubs aren't the issue, it's the quality of managerr and they're stirring s*** going on about "turning us down"

Bobby snubbed us while at Barcelona, one of the top clubs in world football.  McClaren snubbed us while at Championship club Derby, maybe it's unfair as he did have an association with the club before managing them.

He came across really well on the radio tonight.

Agreed.

I'm conflicted.

Hate the management of the club, hate the owner, don't believe a word of Ashley's interview the other week.

But he came across well, and I feel like he'll actually try and win some games. Our previous manager/coach didn't bother.

Not sure why?

2 managers that stayed with their current clubs when approached by NUFC, no-one gave a s*** about the previous snub when  Robson did eventually come.

I've no problem if someone is happy Robson came despite a snub cos he's great and Peaved McClaren came despite a snub because he's s***.

But the snubs aren't the issue, it's the quality of managerr and they're stirring s*** going on about "turning us down"

Bobby snubbed us while at Barcelona, one of the top clubs in world football.  McClaren snubbed us while at Championship club Derby, maybe it's unfair as he did have an association with the club before managing them.

Aye, but McClaren was probably on a better basic wage at Derby than he is at NUFC

One thing I want to see is exciting players – a bit of pace, a bit of speed and individualism. This crowd has always had a No 9-style player and it’d be great to get one of them in.

My team should always have attitude, always have fight, always play football and always play with a certain style and flair because I think that’s what Newcastle demands. They should always play attacking football. But ultimately, you know, it’s about the result.

Sounds good. :thup:

'I have always managed teams that have played attacking, positive football.'

'All my teams are organised and are on the front foot, looking to win the game.'

'I don’t want to be finishing seventh or eight every year, and he knows that. He knows what I am like.'

'Mike knows me, he knows I have fallen out with chairmen before – that’s because I want to win things.'

We'll see.