Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Gino14

Bobby Robson often left it even later, sometimes till 85 minutes and he'd sub on three players.  I definitely don't think he was great with subs.  He was solid tactically, but nothing spectacular.  The things he was best at were picking the best players from the squad for their positions (an underrated skill when you consider the likes of Pardew) and man management.  Bobby had some difficult players to manage in his time, but he always got them on the pitch and the results benefitted from that.  Compare that to Souness, who alienated every talented player we had and Bobby Robson was a miracle worker by comparison.

Made some cracking changes too mind, the Cordone/LuaLua/Glass triple sub v Man Utd that got the draw, Robert & LuaLua at Highbury in the 3-1, Bellamy & Robert at Anfield beginning of the 2002-3 season where we were 0-2 and they turned it round and we almost got the win late on...

Guest Gino14

He wasn't Pardew that's for sure.  He subbed on attacking players when we were struggling, not just three extra left backs.

Was that the bullet header in the late afternoon snow game? Probably one of my best club related memories of actually being at St. James' that particular game. Surreal atmosphere. :love:

Edit: just found it on Youtube (search for "Newcastle v Chelsea F.A. Cup 4th. Round" then 1:45 in). That Robert cross :smitten:

Wow, that brought back memories. Robert on his day was magical, and Kluivert had such sublime skill. Just a shame he had to be with us when we had Souness. Shearer was the character that McLaren has been telling us we need, the bloke had the heart of a lion on the pitch, (as opposed to his role in punditry).

In those days you were fairly confident in the back line too. Bramble could be a nightmare sometimes but others times very self-assured. Carr was actually useful then also, though more of a threat going forward. And in Given we had one of the safest hands in the league, a match saver as much as we had match winners at the other end.

Out of all them mentioned Robert was the guy who just made you jump out of your seat. The blokes talent, in fact technique more than anything, was just mental. Never seen anyone at our club before or since who could strike a ball like him.

And who've we got now? Obertan? :lol:

Guest chopey

Out of all them mentioned Robert was the guy who just made you jump out of your seat. The blokes talent, in fact technique more than anything, was just mental. Never seen anyone at our club before or since who could strike a ball like him.

And who've we got now? Obertan? :lol:

Pardew used to me jump out of my seat, but that was during his post match interviews when I used to shake my fist at the telly like Dennis the Menace's dad !!!

I recall his substitutions being quite predictable in a lot of games particularly towards the end of his time with us. Was often bang on the 75th minute, 3 substitutions.

I choose to interpret it thus: either the wingers had done their job, were tired, and had to be subbed, or they hadn't, and had to be hauled off. And the team were always much better in the second half.

Guest firetotheworks

Bobby was a very good in-game manager. Made a lot of substitutions that changed games.

I think we were playing Watford at home and he brought on LuaLua, Stepehn Glass and Wayne Quinn (maybe). Our equalising goal ended up being crossed in by Quinn, LuaLua miskicked it and then Stephen Glass scored. Don't think I've ever seen that before or since

Nah, that was home to Man U. Cordone crossed it, Lua Lua sliced it and Glass finished. Your right though, 2 or 3 of them had just been subbed on.

:thup:

Turns t out it was a triple substiution too http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1093021.stm

Absolutely fucking creased. :lol:

From that link:

Key incidents

19: Ameobi misses from a yard out for Newcastle

Bobby was a very good in-game manager. Made a lot of substitutions that changed games.

I think we were playing Watford at home and he brought on LuaLua, Stepehn Glass and Wayne Quinn (maybe). Our equalising goal ended up being crossed in by Quinn, LuaLua miskicked it and then Stephen Glass scored. Don't think I've ever seen that before or since

Nah, that was home to Man U. Cordone crossed it, Lua Lua sliced it and Glass finished. Your right though, 2 or 3 of them had just been subbed on.

Turns t out it was a triple substiution too http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1093021.stm

Absolutely f***ing creased. :lol:

From that link:

Key incidents

Shola man  :lol:

So infuriating!

Can't believe Pardew actually signed him for Palace. Disgusting  :lol:

SSN saying this morning too that they want to keep him & Hangeland for another season. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man ... Palace are going to get what they deserve hiring that moron. Just a matter of time now. It will be sweet.

Absolutely fucking creased. :lol:

From that link:

Key incidents

an accurate description of his career . :lol:

Shearer as assistant would be awesome, never happening mind, he has too much self respect to work under these w*****s a second time.

Surprised with the northern echo report about the qualities and experience mclaren wants there isn't more talk of shearer being on the team. He is a big advocate of mclaren and would fit the dressing room respect. Maybe the Austin tweets carry more weight.

Petrified we are getting Keane in tbh. Simpson might be coming in but he surely isn't the assistant mclaren  is talking about.

Shearer as assistant would be awesome, never happening mind, he has too much self respect to work under these w*****s a second time.

Surprised with the northern echo report about the qualities and experience mclaren wants there isn't more talk of shearer being on the team. He is a big advocate of mclaren and would fit the dressing room respect.

I think Shearer has to stay away. The minute anything goes wrong, we'd have SackMcClarenPromoteShearer.com.

Do you think McClaren is a better manager than Pardew, Cranky?

They've both had their ups and downs in their career. If it wasn't for McClaren's Derby experience, I wouldn't say there's a lot to choose, but McClaren had them playing really good football. People should see beyond the collapse in the final half of the season, to look at what he achieved there. McClaren has also won trophies and has a broader range of experience, of course.

But what I think will make the big difference is that McClaren will have better players to choose from.

Hopefully, Dive.  ;)