Steve McClaren

Dave

I'd say it was knowing when to make the right subs, change tactics in order to exploit a particular weakness in an opponent, know when to attack / defend, press / drop off etc etc. Basically Jose Mourinho is the best at it.

I don't think Mourinho is great at it but he is very decisive. If it's going wrong in 30 mins. he'll make a change.

Yea, so often managers dither on changes or do them at sort of pre-alloted times in the game, i can understand not wanting to make a substitution to hurt a players confidence before half time though, and I guess managers want to make their system work and not adapt to the other teams game. However I do remember Mourinho's Madrid subbing on Modric as soon as Man U went down to 10 men to spread the ball and make most of extra possession and almost immediately Modric scored. I hate it when managers take ages to make calls like that

Bobby was a very good in-game manager. Made a lot of substitutions that changed games.

I think we were playing Watford at home and he brought on LuaLua, Stepehn Glass and Wayne Quinn (maybe). Our equalising goal ended up being crossed in by Quinn, LuaLua miskicked it and then Stephen Glass scored. Don't think I've ever seen that before or since

Bobby was a very good in-game manager. Made a lot of substitutions that changed games.

I think we were playing Watford at home and he brought on LuaLua, Stepehn Glass and Wayne Quinn (maybe). Our equalising goal ended up being crossed in by Quinn, LuaLua miskicked it and then Stephen Glass scored. Don't think I've ever seen that before or since

Nah, that was home to Man U. Cordone crossed it, Lua Lua sliced it and Glass finished. You're right though, 2 or 3 of them had just been subbed on.

I don't think Mourinho is great at it but he is very decisive. If it's going wrong in 30 mins. he'll make a change.

Didn't he use all three subs against us around half time, getting the inevitable injury after that in the FA Cup one year.  Still, chalk one up on the lessons learned board.

Didn't he use all three subs against us around half time, getting the inevitable injury after that in the FA Cup one year.  Still, chalk one up on the lessons learned board.

Kluivert

Nah, that was home to Man U. Cordone crossed it, Lua Lua sliced it and Glass finished. Your right though, 2 or 3 of them had just been subbed on.

:thup:

Turns t out it was a triple substiution too http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/1093021.stm

At the risk of sounding even thicker than I normally do, what makes a good game manager?

Making tactical changes/subs during the game or at half time, basically.

Ah right. The opposite of Alan Pardew then who faxes his substitutions in of a Thursday lunchtime. Then next Thursday he photocopies lasts weeks fax.

:lol:

And anyway, aren't the best managers decisive/proactive? He's not everyone's cup of tea but his record speaks for itself. Top class.

No problem with McClaren honouring his Derby contract.

I do however have a problem with us targetting him in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, he's not a terrible manager but he's pretty mediocre. Maybe something will click for him and he'll do well, but there's a terrible lack of ambition surrounding this appointment.

Frankly, any manager joining us in the state we're currently in would be showing a terrible lack or ambition. Difference is they can go elsewhere where as the club have to settle for what they can get.

Yep, 1-0 under Souness in early '05. Shearer knackered Wayne Bridge.

Kluivert

Was that the bullet header in the late afternoon snow game? Probably one of my best club related memories of actually being at St. James' that particular game. Surreal atmosphere. :love:

Edit: just found it on Youtube (search for "Newcastle v Chelsea F.A. Cup 4th. Round" then 1:45 in). That Robert cross :smitten:

At the risk of sounding even thicker than I normally do, what makes a good game manager?

Being able to tinker with tactics/positions/formations in-game to nullify changes that the opposition manager may have or just totally shutting the game down to your teams benefit, see: José Mourinho

I recall his substitutions being quite predictable in a lot of games particularly towards the end of his time with us. Was often bang on the 75th minute, 3 substitutions.

Guest chopey

I recall his substitutions being quite predictable in a lot of games particularly towards the end of his time with us. Was often bang on the 75th minute, 3 substitutions.

That was just a double bluff, everyone was expecting him to make the subs, so he did,................ genius.

That was just a double bluff, everyone was expecting him to make the subs, so he did,................ genius.

:lol: Had me fooled.