Steve McClaren

Dave

Giving everyone a clean slate is an honourable and fair thing to do, it's just unfortunate that we'll seemingly be using at least the first five meaningful matches of the season to find out what we already know about the likes of Williamson, Taylor, Gouffran, Obertan and others that simply aren't good enough.

I don't expect any miracles straight away, I don't think it's fair to read too much into preseason either though I don't expect us to come racing out of hte starting blocks. I think it's fair enough to expect a slow start and not hold it against McClaren, there's a lot of shit training to get the squad over. On the other hand I think it is pretty dodgy that we haven't reinforced fully in our weakest area, and not in time to have even the one CB up and running by start of season, and the time given in pre-season to Gouffran and Obertan is worrying too. Why should we be giving minutes to players that aren't good enough? I know McClaren wants to give everyone a blank slate but genuinely fear the club somehow still rates them. Which is mad.

Giving everyone a clean slate is an honourable and fair thing to do, it's just unfortunate that we'll seemingly be using at least the first five meaningful matches of the season to find out what we already know about the likes of Williamson, Taylor, Gouffran, Obertan and others that simply aren't good enough.

Aye don't forget either that McLaren went public and supposedly knew what was being said about certain players before they rocked up for training.

Clearly whoever he's been speaking to is a fucking idiot. In fact it was probably Pardew or Carver.

Do we genuinely believe he rates these players though? Could just be a desire to rotate and protect the starters, various fitness issues, as well as the normal new manager situation of trying out what you've got. It makes for a fairly farcical set of games for the fans like, can't disagree with that.

Do we genuinely believe he rates these players though? Could just be a desire to rotate and protect the starters, various fitness issues, as well as the normal new manager situation of trying out what you've got. It makes for a fairly farcical set of games for the fans like, can't disagree with that.

It's not even that it makes for farcical games for fans pre season, if he's playing people he doesn't intend to play during the actual season then he's got a screw loose.

It's not even that it makes for farcical games for fans pre season, if he's playing people he doesn't intend to play during the actual season then he's got a screw loose.

Yup I'd have liked to see him focus on getting the first team up to speed and gelled as much as possible.

Yup I'd have liked to see him focus on getting the first team up to speed and gelled as much as possible.

It's madness tbh. He's going to be playing them iyam therefore he knows they can't be shifted and won't be replaced.

If Mike Williamson is still playing for this football club this season then McClaren's failed imo. I know it's harsh on the bloke but being organised means fuck all if you're still relying on this fucker to do it. Same applies to Obertan for that matter.

He should have cut them off from the rest of the squad as soon as he came in. Made them train with the kids and told them to find new clubs.

This should have been day one of the new regime.

I don't have a clue. Worryingly the only pattern I have seen is that Williamson has started almost every game.

I sense there has been a real effort behind the scenes to make something of Williamson which is worrying.

I don't have a clue. Worryingly the only pattern I have seen is that Williamson has started almost every game.

I sense there has been a real effort behind the scenes to make something of Williamson which is worrying.

I'd guess it's more to do with the fact that Colo, Taylor and Williamson are all going to be very hard to get rid of so McClaren knows he'll be forced to use them this season. Ashley isn't going to sanction deals for new defenders and allow the three retards to just rot in the reserves for 100k+ a week. So we're probably gonna have to get something out of them, for this year at least.

If any of them get new deals then McClaren needs sectioning. They won't though, we'll let their contracts expire and hopefully spend a few quid on defenders next summer.

I don't blame McClaren for trying all of the players, in reality he would be mad not to.  Hopefully he's played Obertan so he can evaluate him before binning him, Williamson because he has to and to be fair he hasn't had much choice with that one.  I hope he's looked at Colback and seen a limited played who doesn't offer anything that others at the club don't offer.  If he persists with certain players against Southampton and beyond then he deserves all of the stick that he will get. 

The least I expect of him will be that he plays our best players in positions which they feel comfortable playing in and he tries to win games playing a decent brand of football.

I agree, but I'd take five or six games of irritation if it meant that those lot were marginalised and sold because our new manager has half a brain. We've had 4+ years of them being shite under Pardew/Carver and had to suffer soundbites about what great players they are.

Pre season games won't tell McClaren anything. It's when the season gets underway and winning or losing matters that the likes of Williamson will go to pieces. Anyone can look competent in a friendly.

@bbcnewcastle

BBC Newcastle welcomes @nufc manager Steve McClaren to #totalsport on Tuesday between 6 and 7 pm. More details later.

Forum will be on suicide watch after he tell us about the great depth and quality of the squad.

Does Mbemba speak english btw? That may be a reason why he doesn't start for a while.

Don't think so. Saw a video with him holding up the shirt and he spoke in a foreign language (idk which, lol)