Steve McClaren

Dave

I was there last night. I travelled a couple of hundred miles before and after the game, maybe not as far as the wednesday fans, but i came alone. I thought i would be more mad than i am.

What i saw was a team in transition. I thought the best players on the pitch were Anita, Williamson and Lascelles. I know these are players usually associated with being blamed/hated, but you could clearly see these were the players following their instructions.

Anita dropping back between the centerbacks, with them two clearly instructed to give wee Vurn the ball and not just launch it forward. He had the ball for most the match, everything went through him.

The problem lied in that Willo and Lascelles were the only real ones showing for it, getting into space pulling out wide, clearly doing as asked. Gary Neville and co could probably slate Anita for not creating anything of note, but its not his job. i thought he was excellent. The front 5 were static and predictable. Zero movement. You could see him looking for the pass but no-one wanted it. Maybe Obertan looked the only one willing to offer a run, just not often enough.

I agree it doesnt look pretty at the moment, but the huge difference between our style of play now compared to the last 3 years is a positive in my eyes.

Next step is to get the front 5 moving, its just going to take time. Which will ultimately tell us if McClaren is up to the job or not. But its far far too early to make that call.

Poor result against poor opposition, but small signs change. Get the feeling it will get much worse before it gets better, but theres a feeling of hope somewhere deep within, which hasnt been present for quite some time.

I would be genuinely shocked if Sissoko & Wijnaldum could play in CM 2 together.

I think they could if we actually pressed as a team, but coaching that into the players would take time and even if the coaches had the nous to pull it off it's something you teach the players during pre season and not after an abysmal start bordering on crisis.

Don't really think we've got the players to press high at all. Too weak at the back and susceptible to longer balls. I think they could play together, if they showed any defensive appetite for the game. Sissoko defends selectively and Wijnaldum is adapting.

We don't press at all though.

The only player pressing and tackling back last night was frigging Obertan!!

We have pressed at times this season and got absolutely shredded because our centre is so weak and slow - I don't think it's bad coaching either because I know Cathro worked with them on it in preseason. Tracking men is a problem, aye, but that's a commitment issue from players that don't seem to fancy getting stuck in for a whole game. Our defence hampers us a lot, the only 'success' we seem to have with it is deeper unit defending, but that restricts us going forward.

I would be genuinely shocked if Sissoko & Wijnaldum could play in CM 2 together.

I think they could if we actually pressed as a team, but coaching that into the players would take time and even if the coaches had the nous to pull it off it's something you teach the players during pre season and not after an abysmal start bordering on crisis.

Don't really think we've got the players to press high at all. Too weak at the back and susceptible to longer balls. I think they could play together, if they showed any defensive appetite for the game. Sissoko defends selectively and Wijnaldum is adapting.

We don't press at all though.

The only player pressing and tackling back last night was frigging Obertan!!

We have pressed at times this season and got absolutely shredded because our centre is so weak and slow - I don't think it's bad coaching either because I know Cathro worked with them on it in preseason. Tracking men is a problem, aye, but that's a commitment issue from players that don't seem to fancy getting stuck in for a whole game. Our defence hampers us a lot, the only 'success' we seem to have with it is deeper unit defending, but that restricts us going forward.

Colback can't press properly. Doesn't help.

What on Earth has gone wrong? I was never behind the McClaren appointment but with the new coaching staff, the likes of Cathro seemingly really fresh and positive, as well as the new signings - actually spending some money - I was somewhat optimistic. Not of achieving anything great this season but at least in terms of seeing improvement and new ideas. But as mentioned, it's like we've gone back to Carver's reign of terror.

What on Earth has gone wrong? I was never behind the McClaren appointment but with the new coaching staff, the likes of Cathro seemingly really fresh and positive, as well as the new signings - actually spending some money - I was somewhat optimistic. Not of achieving anything great this season but at least in terms of seeing improvement and new ideas. But as mentioned, it's like we've gone back to Carver's reign of terror.

Seems to me that McClaren didn't realize what he was taking on, and as such has dived into the chicane to fast, and it's all gone wrong.

Klopp agent briefing Sky today that he's ready to cut his sabbatical short and would like a PL job is offered.

Considering the mind-boggling backing that Rodgers somehow has on our board and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I reckon it's up to you guys now.

Bring the man to this country.

Klopp agent briefing Sky today that he's ready to cut his sabbatical short and would like a PL job is offered.

Considering the mind-boggling backing that Rodgers somehow has on our board and doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I reckon it's up to you guys now.

Bring the man to this country.

Don't even tease... It's unfair and amounts to cyber bullying

He'd, rightly, not work with this pack of clowns.

That's true. In Liverpool's case, it, unbelievably, appears to be the case of "The pack of clowns" don't rate him if stories in Independent are to be believed.

Amazing that within hours of the agent leaking this to Sky, Bayern are now more confident of extending Pep's contract. (According to Rummenigge)

Vieira (who I didn't want like but obviously would have took over McClaren for the craic) and Garde just show that they're openly taking the p*ss tbh. They had no interest in signing either yet they obviously knew they were names which would excite the fans. It's the same with putting bids in at the final hour which are obviously going to get turned down.

They're about as smart as Young Kenny was in Phoenix Nights when he wrote the pub quiz answers on his arm, despite not knowing the questions.

[emoji38] [emoji38]

I can imagine the conversation come May time:

"You forgot to read our team out!"

"Were you Stevie Mc, Lee and Mike?"

"Yeah"

"You came twentieth."

"Out of how many?"

"Twenty."

[emoji38] That episode, man.  Brilliant. 

"The answer was The Shroud of Turin"

"What did we have?" 

"Lisa Stansfield"

We'll shit 'em. [emoji38]

Not too sure he won't have cacked his pants long before January myself.

if McClaren doesn't walk after next three defeats I expect Mike to pull the trigger. No way will he gamble with the pot of gold at the end of this seasons rainbow.

May well splurge in January but I will be surprised if its Schteve spending the money.

I was there last night. I travelled a couple of hundred miles before and after the game, maybe not as far as the wednesday fans, but i came alone. I thought i would be more mad than i am.

What i saw was a team in transition. I thought the best players on the pitch were Anita, Williamson and Lascelles. I know these are players usually associated with being blamed/hated, but you could clearly see these were the players following their instructions.

Anita dropping back between the centerbacks, with them two clearly instructed to give wee Vurn the ball and not just launch it forward. He had the ball for most the match, everything went through him.

The problem lied in that Willo and Lascelles were the only real ones showing for it, getting into space pulling out wide, clearly doing as asked. Gary Neville and co could probably slate Anita for not creating anything of note, but its not his job. i thought he was excellent. The front 5 were static and predictable. Zero movement. You could see him looking for the pass but no-one wanted it. Maybe Obertan looked the only one willing to offer a run, just not often enough.

I agree it doesnt look pretty at the moment, but the huge difference between our style of play now compared to the last 3 years is a positive in my eyes.

Next step is to get the front 5 moving, its just going to take time. Which will ultimately tell us if McClaren is up to the job or not. But its far far too early to make that call.

Poor result against poor opposition, but small signs change. Get the feeling it will get much worse before it gets better, but theres a feeling of hope somewhere deep within, which hasnt been present for quite some time.

Interesting. We do look like we are having a really difficult time of it transitioning from Pardew's hoofball to trying to play our way out, I don't think it's helping any that the new players seem shell shocked by the pace of British football. But when Anthony Martial can come into a turgid Man U side and immediately hit the floor running, it does piss you off to see Thauvin struggling so badly.

It could be seen a mile off Thauvin was going to be shit, he's done nothing for 2 seasons. Was a total bellend at Lille, we should have loaned him with the option of buying. Good chance we will be stuck with him and Cabella next season now.

I thought Thauvin looked worse last night than anything Cabella showed us. Too early to judge like, but thought Wijnaldum looked equally as poor. Toney showed at least looks like he knows how to play up front, in terms of movement off the ball.

It could be seen a mile off Thauvin was going to be s***, he's done nothing for 2 seasons. Was a total bellend at Lille, we should have loaned him with the option of buying. Good chance we will be stuck with him and Cabella next season now.

They sure will love those trips to Hull and Bolton!