Steve McClaren

Dave

I'm based in Derby so chat to a fair few of their fans and all these supposed problems have come since Martin was injured. He basically linked the whole team and is an excellent allround striker at that level. I think McLaren would benefit from coaching better players than the likes of Jamie Ward but as has been said, would be something of a meh appointment.

He's also still damaged goods in some respects after the England failure.

Ashley loves the bargain bin for knackers/weirdos/morons.

When you put it like that, it's almost as if he's trying to replicate his sports kit sales with his manager appointment policy. Former big brand names devalued then picked up cheap and rebadged.

Guest Incandenza

He's only considered damaged goods by supporters. In the game he is highly rated.

He's only considered damaged goods by supporters. In the game he is highly rated.

He's managing in the Championship man. Warnock, Di Canio, Poyet.. Pardew, Sherwood, have found jobs when he's been available. Definitely damaged goods.

When you put it like that, it's almost as if he's trying to replicate his sports kit sales with his manager appointment policy. Former big brand names devalued then picked up cheap and rebadged.

Everything is like that, player recruitment as well.

I'm based in Derby so chat to a fair few of their fans and all these supposed problems have come since Martin was injured. He basically linked the whole team and is an excellent allround striker at that level. I think McLaren would benefit from coaching better players than the likes of Jamie Ward but as has been said, would be something of a meh appointment.

Sounds familiar.

Guest Incandenza

He's managing in the Championship man. Warnock, Di Canio, Poyet.. Pardew, Sherwood, have found jobs when he's been available. Definitely damaged goods.

Clubs have been reluctant to hire him because of potential backlash from supporters, not because two losses to Croatia wipes out the rest of his CV.

Guest YonderStar

Would he work within he structure though, and why would he want to? he must have sat and watched Pardew over the last few years try and blame everyone and anything else except Ashley when things went wrong when it's clear that it's Ashley's refusal to significantly invest in the squad which has held us back, and nothing is gonna change, Why would he want to manage a club where the cups and finishing in the top six are not a priority? I would be happy with Shteeeve as our new head coach, but I'm trying to see it from his persepective.

Pardew was given a lot of time and a lot of good international players. I think the received wisdom that no good manager would want the job is not true. A lot of managers would have envied Pardew's privileged position.

What you mean working for peanuts?, defending Ashley to the hilt,? having no say on transfers? and also what you are forgetting is once we had injuries to our "purples" the squad was so wafer thin that we had no decent replacements, and at times it was the same when players were sold and not replaced. So therefore the majority of managers would definitely not envy Pardew's position because as soon as we got a few injuries or suspensions he was basically hung out to dry, while Ashley soaked up the rays in Barbados.

I cannot foresee any manager worth his salt agreeing to work under Ashley and Charnley, I will believe it only when I see Shteeve holding a toon top in the SDA, (and speaking in a half dutch half geordie accent)

You mean like when Cabaye was sold and we had no replacement so Pardew played Gosling?  Except we had Ben Arfa and Marveaux sitting on the bench..  Don't make excuses for that clown, Ashley is an evil c*** but Pardew f***ed himself again and again with his absolute incompetence and the reason he licked up to Ashley and made so many excuses for him was simply because he was desperate to keep a job that was way above his level.

I'm not making excuses for Pardew mate, yeah he made mistakes some of his team selections were baffling at times, but all Ashley has ever delivered is a decent first XI, once injuries and suspensions have kicked in throughout the season Pardew was left trying to plug the gaps with players who were not up to standard.

Pardew done himself no favours however by stating at the start of every season that he was "happy with the squad" instead of demanding more investment, but that's history now and I would like to think that the only reason McClaren would take the job is if he had guarantees that the money would be there to significantly strengthen the squad,...but I doubt it, and cannot see anything changing.

Yes mate, so highly rated his last two jobs have been Forest and Derby.

Someone better tell Jose to watch out next season.

Who'd have thought it, eh?

Who'd have thought it, eh?

the more you think about it man; run light on inventory so there's not too much capital tied up in stock etc. :lol:

Clubs have been reluctant to hire him because of potential backlash from supporters.

:lol:

Meanwhile the likes of Gary Megson have been appointed to Premier League jobs to colossal fanfare. McClaren hasn't been given a PL job because he's not that good. It's that simple.

are people trying to say that mclaren is not as good as warnock, megson, poyet, di canio, pardew and sherwood (!) because they were given PL jobs? :lol:

they were all fucking fired for being shit too (not sherwood yet), with the exception of pardew who would have been fired at any other club

i don't really like mclaren but he's won cups and titles and has worked his way through the game, the other lot have achieved absolutely nothing in their careers with the arguable exception of warnock who has never been anything but a relegation/promotion merry-go-round type

because the people in charge of clubs make awful decisions when appointing managers doesn't make mclaren a poor manager/coach

I'm sorry, Mojo, but read a few posts properly and you won't come to such an absurd conclusion.

The argument that McClaren is managing in the Championship because Premier League fans would 'backlash' against him being appointed is ridiculous given the absolute shower of shite who've managed in the PL since he left Boro in '06.

I'm sorry, Mojo, but read a few posts properly and you won't come to such an absurd conclusion.

The argument that McClaren is managing in the Championship because Premier League fans would 'backlash' against him being appointed is ridiculous given the absolute shower of shite who've managed in the PL since he left Boro in '06.

your own examples suggest being good isn't a prerequisite for getting a PL, yet your conclusion is that he's not been given one because he's not that good :lol:

i read the other posts, i was commenting on yours because it doesn't make a lot of sense, either ability is a factor or it isn't

I'm not even sure what you're getting at now. The conclusion that he isn't that good (I think he's 5/10 medicore) is based on what I've seen from his teams over the past 12 years or so, and what I was repeatedly told by level-headed Boro fans when I lived there.

The fact he's not managed in the PL since the England job has nothing to do with potential supporter disgruntlement and everything to do with the fact that if you were a somewhat ambitious chairman wanting good football and good results, you may not disregard him totally, but you'd look elsewhere first.

To reiterate, and I hope this is the last time I have to do it, it's an absolutely nonsensical assertion that the reason he's managing Derby County in the Championship is because PL fans wouldn't accept him.

I dont think he is connected well like the likes of Pardew and all to get PL teams. Also the press give him torrid time after England. He is better than half of the mangers in the PL and we all know them well. He is a better manager this club could get after Sir Bobby. His relationship with Carr is key as well and it will seal the deal for many with a normal head.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at now. The conclusion that he isn't that good (I think he's 5/10 medicore) is based on what I've seen from his teams over the past 12 years or so, and what I was repeatedly told by level-headed Boro fans when I lived there.

The fact he's not managed in the PL since the England job has nothing to do with potential supporter disgruntlement and everything to do with the fact that if you were a somewhat ambitious chairman wanting good football and good results, you may not disregard him totally, but you'd look elsewhere first.

To reiterate, and I hope this is the last time I have to do it, it's an absolutely nonsensical assertion that the reason he's managing Derby County in the Championship is because PL fans wouldn't accept him.

the lad started out suggesting there are reasons other than ability he's not been offered PL jobs, you then cited gary megson as an example of why this isn't correct and that he's not getting jobs because he's not very good :lol:

Sounds familiar.

Not the excuses of McClaren himself in fairness, he does a relatively good job of not acting like Football's Charlie Sheen in his interviews. One good attribute for McClaren is that players have legitimately improved while playing for him, and he's a good coach.