Steve McClaren

Dave

Remember flicking between their matches and the Bill but I hadn't seen a collapse like both Basel and Steaua offered since we dirtied ourselves in Lisbon.

Fair enough because it worked but McClaren's strategy was always just to hoy a load of strikers on. They always had Maccarone, Yakubu, Hasselbaink and Viduka tripping over each other at the end before Maccarone inevitably scored.

He isn't. Souness' league cup win with Blackburn eclipses anything McClaren's achieved, also.

So beating Oldham, Boro, City (then in second tier), Arsenal, Sheff Wed and a Spurs side containing Ben Thatcher and Chris Perry better than taking Boro (via victories over Stuttgart, Roma and Basel) to the UEFA Cup final?

Yes, winning is better than finishing 2nd. That's before you even take into account which teams listed there were taking the respective tournaments more seriously.

Kuffour, Mexes, Chivu, De Rossi, Perrotta, Dacourt all started for Roma against them. But hey ho.

Sorry, are you saying losing 4-0 to Sevilla in the Uefa Cup is a better achievement than wining the (admittedly shit) League Cup with Blackburn?

I'm fucking bored with this shit, anyway. Anyone legitimately wanting Steve 'Derby are doing well in the Championship and he did well at Boro' McClaren over the suggested/approached realistic European options is a mong. End.

Wasn't the argument though.  I think the 2 League Cup wins are comparable as achievements, although I don't know the 2 respective squads off by heart admittedly.

He isn't. Souness' league cup win with Blackburn eclipses anything McClaren's achieved, also.

So beating Oldham, Boro, City (then in second tier), Arsenal, Sheff Wed and a Spurs side containing Ben Thatcher and Chris Perry better than taking Boro (via victories over Stuttgart, Roma and Basel) to the UEFA Cup final?

Yes, winning is better than finishing 2nd. That's before you even take into account which teams listed there were taking the respective tournaments more seriously.

Kuffour, Mexes, Chivu, De Rossi, Perrotta, Dacourt all started for Roma against them. But hey ho.

Sorry, are you saying losing 4-0 to Sevilla in the Uefa Cup is a better achievement than wining the (admittedly s***) League Cup with Blackburn?

I'm f***ing bored with this s***, anyway. Anyone legitimately wanting Steve 'Derby are doing well in the Championship and he did well at Boro' McClaren over the suggested/approached realistic European options is a mong. End.

Wasn't the argument though.  I think the 2 League Cup wins are comparable as achievements, although I don't know the 2 respective squads off by heart admittedly.

Sorry, are you saying losing 4-0 to Sevilla in the Uefa Cup is a better achievement than wining the (admittedly s***) League Cup with Blackburn?

I'm f***ing bored with this s***, anyway. Anyone legitimately wanting Steve 'Derby are doing well in the Championship and he did well at Boro' McClaren over the suggested/approached realistic European options is a mong. End.

I'm not suggesting McClaren should be top of our list, but dismissing him getting Boro to two cup finals (one of which he won) is petty, as would be not acknowledging his achievement in becoming the only manager other than Van Gaal to win the Dutch league with a team outside their traditional big three in 30 years (and in a season when Suarez scored 35 league goals for Ajax).

But never mind, cos you're bored. Newsflash: so are we...

I'm not suggesting McClaren should be top of our list, but dismissing him getting Boro to two cup finals (one of which he won) is petty

It's about as relevant, or less so, than what Souness achieved before coming here. Poor managers win stuff. McClaren's an average 5/10 manager and nothing in his CV suggests otherwise.

I'm not suggesting McClaren should be top of our list, but dismissing him getting Boro to two cup finals (one of which he won) is petty

It's about as relevant, or less so, than what Souness achieved before coming here. Poor managers win stuff. McClaren's an average 5/10 manager and nothing in his CV suggests otherwise.

:thup:

It's going to be a similar feeling to a couple of seasons back when we had the perfect opportunity to bin off Pardle and the likes of Rudi Garcia were out of work that summer.  Missed the boat then and by appointing Mclaren we'll be missing it again.  Another few seasons of going nowhere, watching average football (at best) with average results.  Can't fucking wait.

But if it were a choice of carver or mcclaren I know who I'd rather have.

this is basically what it comes down to :lol:

as has been said ashley has probably played this perfectly again, put carver in the seat for a few months to show us how bad things can really be under him again then pitch up with a middle of the road appointment like mclaren so we all think we've won the lottery

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Seriously I do question the sanity of some on this board. They want us to win some Cups while being successful in the league but when they're presented with someone who has been to multiple finals ,has won a cup and a league title they easily dismiss his entire career as being a fluky run. We may as well brand all teams reaching finals as fluky and concentrate on staying in the league like the higher hierarchy  :lol:

Steve McClaren is the equivalent of a lifeboat with a hole in it.

Aye, I'd rather him than drowning under Charver but fucking hell, he's hardly the long term answer.

A sure fire route to mid table and manky 'football'. No ta.

One of the foreign applicants might stink but at least they'd offer some hope of change for the initial period. Schteve is more of the same without the PR ability to bullshit the southern press, a la Pardew.

Again, there's a good reason he's plodding along in the championship.

If, and it's a big if, he comes in (I think we'll stick with fucknugget now) it'll only be because he's willing to work with the wankers on the coaching staff. He'd only bring one assistant with him.

Garde, very sensibly, would have wanted to clear the cunts out and that would've cost too much money for the current owner.

I've not seen Derby recently, but last season they were playing some decent football and were a bit unlucky not to go up.

He's not a very sexy appointment, but we could do worse.

And we could do a fuckload better.

Yeah, but it's not.

This.

Seriously I do question the sanity of some on this board. They want us to win some Cups while being successful in the league but when they're presented with someone who has been to multiple finals ,has won a cup and a league title they easily dismiss his entire career as being a fluky run. We may as well brand all teams reaching finals as fluky and concentrate on staying in the league like the higher hierarchy  :lol:

Souness done all of that.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Yeah, but it's not.

This.

Souness done all of that.

With average sized clubs? Are Rangers and Liverpool who were title challengers in Dalglish's time comparable to Boro and Twente?

That League Cup winning Boro side was better than the side blackburn had when they won the league cup. And i'm sorry - that UEFA Cup run was the luckiest thing I have ever seen. They where awful in the league that season by the way and were in a relegation fight for much of the season.

The Twente league win was a big achievement I agree. But he swiftly failed at Wolfsburg. And he failed with England. Team conspired to lose 4-3 to Croatia after being 3-2 up if memory serves. i thought he was hopeless for England and a bit of a charlatan. He did a good job in Holland no doubt. Good job in the Championship but so is McCarthy. It's a horrible league. Not sure what I can take from it other than he has some ability (so does Mick who isn't good enough for the PL).

Overall, i'd be disappointed if we hired him. I don't think he would get a job at any of the sides above us imo. We get him I see nothing but average football, average results. If he follows protocol - jumping out the cups too. If he bucked that trend I would be impressed but I am certain it is cruel protocol of the club at the moment. He seems a easier to like man compared to Pardew and Carver but who isn't?

Steve McClaren has done very well for the majority of his career. He wouldn't exactly set the world alight but he'd be a solid choice and a hell of a lot better than the misery I've endured over the last 5 year.

Would people be happy with someone like Hodgson by the way? I know he wouldn't come i'm just interested in how people rate him.

:lol: I was at a mini talk in with Micky Quinn last night and he absolutely slated Hodgson. Literally called him "fucking shite".