Steve McClaren

Dave

Would people be happy with someone like Hodgson by the way? I know he wouldn't come i'm just interested in how people rate him.

:lol: I was at a mini talk in with Micky Quinn last night and he absolutely slated Hodgson. Literally called him "fucking shite".

That needs to be tempered with the fact that Micky Quinn is the dictionary definition of "know-nothing, semi-literate gobshite", mind.

Guest antz1uk

Would people be happy with someone like Hodgson by the way? I know he wouldn't come i'm just interested in how people rate him.

:lol: I was at a mini talk in with Micky Quinn last night and he absolutely slated Hodgson. Literally called him "f***ing s****".

That needs to be tempered with the fact that Micky Quinn is the dictionary definition of "know-nothing, semi-literate gobshite", mind.

Mich Quinn is a first grade prick

That League Cup winning Boro side was better than the side blackburn had when they won the league cup. And i'm sorry - that UEFA Cup run was the luckiest thing I have ever seen. They where awful in the league that season by the way and were in a relegation fight for much of the season.

The Twente league win was a big achievement I agree. But he swiftly failed at Wolfsburg. And he failed with England. Team conspired to lose 4-3 to Croatia after being 3-2 up if memory serves. i thought he was hopeless for England and a bit of a charlatan. He did a good job in Holland no doubt. Good job in the Championship but so is McCarthy. It's a horrible league. Not sure what I can take from it other than he has some ability (so does Mick who isn't good enough for the PL).

Overall, i'd be disappointed if we hired him. I don't think he would get a job at any of the sides above us imo. We get him I see nothing but average football, average results. If he follows protocol - jumping out the cups too. If he bucked that trend I would be impressed but I am certain it is cruel protocol of the club at the moment. He seems a easier to like man compared to Pardew and Carver but who isn't?

It's utter horseshit that the Blackburn side was poorer than Boro's. Boro had two centre-backs well into their 30s (Southgate was about 35), Doriva - one of the slowest midfielders I've seen in the top flight - and Joseph-Desire Job up front. Yes, they had Juninho, but he was a shadow of the player he was in his first spell. Blackburn were no great shakes, but if you think Juninho and the massively under-performing Gaizka Mendieta were significantly better than Okocha and Djorkaeff, or that Boro had anyone on a par with Damien Duff at that time (if you look back, he was absolutely flying then), then you're a bigger idiot than I assumed.

And if league form/position is a barometer, virtually the same Blackburn squad finished sixth the season after winning the League Cup.

Steve McClaren has done very well for the majority of his career. He wouldn't exactly set the world alight but he'd be a solid choice and a hell of a lot better than the misery I've endured over the last 5 year.

What gives you that level of optimism?

My view has always been that if we're not even going to complete in cups/challenge for Europe then the very least we should do is play attractive football.

McClaren has never had a side do that.

Boateng, Mendieta & Zenden where no fools man. Southgate, Ehiogu, Mills & Schwarzer strong to very good PL players.

Yes Souness had Blackburn finish 6th! And he was an awful manager lifted IIRC by 2/3 great players. I don't think Steve is an awful manager or anything. But his achievements in the game aren't much better than a clogger like Souness.

Where did Boro finish in the league when they went to the UEFA Cup final? Team with Hasselbaink, Viduka, Mendieta, Rochemback, Boateng etc.

Steve McClaren has done very well for the majority of his career. He wouldn't exactly set the world alight but he'd be a solid choice and a hell of a lot better than the misery I've endured over the last 5 year.

What gives you that level of optimism?

My view has always been that if we're not even going to complete in cups/challenge for Europe then the very least we should do is play attractive football.

McClaren has never had a side do that.

Neither do I man. I can only really talk about his England & Boro sides. Both awful to watch.

I think McClaren is a decent manager, and his record shows it.

History also teaches us, surely, to totally forget about how managers do when they get the England job - that is a job which over decades and decades has ruined managers.

These days, for example, Sven is a joke, but when he took the England job, his record was excellent. See also Capello, one of the highest achieving managers there was, but not good in the England job.

Graham Taylor, too. Managed to get a dreadful Villa side out of the second division in one go, and within two years had us finishing second in the league. Goes to England, gets slaughtered, looks awful.

Even Bobby Robson had similar. Got to the semi finals, yes, but people tend to overlook that before that, he got absolutely slaughtered by the press almost continually, because the results were so poor. It was right till the first round of the 1990 WC that the press wanted him sacked.

Basically, the England job is at worst a proven graveyard for managers and at best a stain on their CV, and that applies to McClaren.

I'd have taken him prior to Sherwood. In fact, I'd swap him now, given the chance.

That League Cup winning Boro side was better than the side blackburn had when they won the league cup. And i'm sorry - that UEFA Cup run was the luckiest thing I have ever seen. They where awful in the league that season by the way and were in a relegation fight for much of the season.

The Twente league win was a big achievement I agree. But he swiftly failed at Wolfsburg. And he failed with England. Team conspired to lose 4-3 to Croatia after being 3-2 up if memory serves. i thought he was hopeless for England and a bit of a charlatan. He did a good job in Holland no doubt. Good job in the Championship but so is McCarthy. It's a horrible league. Not sure what I can take from it other than he has some ability (so does Mick who isn't good enough for the PL).

Overall, i'd be disappointed if we hired him. I don't think he would get a job at any of the sides above us imo. We get him I see nothing but average football, average results. If he follows protocol - jumping out the cups too. If he bucked that trend I would be impressed but I am certain it is cruel protocol of the club at the moment. He seems a easier to like man compared to Pardew and Carver but who isn't?

It's utter horseshit that the Blackburn side was poorer than Boro's. Boro had two centre-backs well into their 30s (Southgate was about 35), Doriva - one of the slowest midfielders I've seen in the top flight - and Joseph-Desire Job up front. Yes, they had Juninho, but he was a shadow of the player he was in his first spell. Blackburn were no great shakes, but if you think Juninho and the massively under-performing Gaizka Mendieta were significantly better than Okocha and Djorkaeff, or that Boro had anyone on a par with Damien Duff at that time (if you look back, he was absolutely flying then), then you're a bigger idiot than I assumed.

And if league form/position is a barometer, virtually the same Blackburn squad finished sixth the season after winning the League Cup.

Except Okocha and Djorkaeff played for Bolton.

Hodgson is bang average man. You guys do realise we are already a midtable team? Hiring midtable managers isn't going to help us any.

5 or 6 out of 10 managers the pair of em.

A season of Carver would not result in us being a midtable team.

Guest chicken little

the thing about mcclaren winning the league with twente - i'll say up front it is still a big deal - is that it is diminished somewhat by the application of a bit of context: the dutch "big three" that season were absolutely rotten.

psv had a weak squad and a poor manager (the same fred rutten who is days away from getting the flick from feyenoord). feyenoord were on the brink of a financial implosion that set them back five years, and was only remedied by a freakishly good generation from their youth (de vrij, martins indi, kongolo, nelomboetius, trinidade de vilhena etc.). ajax had a fantastic team on paper (stekelenburg, van der wiel, vertonghen, alderweireld, anita, siem de jong, eriksen, suarez, kennedy bakircioglu etc.) unfortunately, martin jol was in charge, and had them playing a wholly blasphemous 442 that got them 2nd place, and him the sack.

still a good job like, but it was a weak field that year.

Derby boss Steve McClaren is expected to land the manager’s job full-time in the summer.

McClaren will not have any discussions over his future until the season is over as he is focussed on the job of trying to win the Rams promotion to the Premier League, but he is a top target as Newcastle look for a fresh start.

Carver is likely to be kept on the staff after impressing with the way he has managed the club since Pardew departed for Crystal Palace.

From Sunday Mirror

Guest YonderStar

Derby boss Steve McClaren is expected to land the manager’s job full-time in the summer.

McClaren will not have any discussions over his future until the season is over as he is focussed on the job of trying to win the Rams promotion to the Premier League, but he is a top target as Newcastle look for a fresh start.

Carver is likely to be kept on the staff after impressing with the way he has managed the club since Pardew departed for Crystal Palace.

From Sunday Mirror

That bit about Carver  :D

Guest YonderStar

Carver has successfully steered us to mid table mediocrity, why would that hot be seen as success to fat boy?

Yep, His first job was ensuring we went out of the cup at Leicester, and then 8pts from a possible 30 in the league.....well done John  O0