Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest YonderStar

It's still a better job than most in this country and not that difficult these days either.  We still attract decent players and the crowd expect nowt.

It's the lack of ambition which will put decent managers off though, If you don't have ambition seriously what is the point?. what kind of existence is that.?

Like I said I have no problem with McClaren getting the job, but personally think he would be mad to want to work for this regime.

What could be interesting is that McLaren is supposed to be a friend of Carr whereas the relationship between Carr and Pardew was a problem.  I wonder if that would mean that McLaren's opinions on the team and its requirements would be heeded in contrast to Pardew who they just seemed to ignore.

Makes sense the more you think about, he's a very stable and steady manager, exactly what they're looking for. From his perspective he's likely to get a handful of top quality players and will be pretty much unsackable.

Can see this happening.

Would he work within he structure though, and why would he want to? he must have sat and watched Pardew over the last few years try and blame everyone and anything else except Ashley when things went wrong when it's clear that it's Ashley's refusal to significantly invest in the squad which has held us back, and nothing is gonna change, Why would he want to manage a club where the cups and finishing in the top six are not a priority? I would be happy with Shteeeve as our new head coach, but I'm trying to see it from his persepective.

Pardew was given a lot of time and a lot of good international players. I think the received wisdom that no good manager would want the job is not true. A lot of managers would have envied Pardew's privileged position.

What you mean working for peanuts?, defending Ashley to the hilt,? having no say on transfers? and also what you are forgetting is once we had injuries to our "purples" the squad was so wafer thin that we had no decent replacements, and at times it was the same when players were sold and not replaced. So therefore the majority of managers would definitely not envy Pardew's position because as soon as we got a few injuries or suspensions he was basically hung out to dry, while Ashley soaked up the rays in Barbados.

I cannot foresee any manager worth his salt agreeing to work under Ashley and Charnley, I will believe it only when I see Shteeve holding a toon top in the SDA, (and speaking in a half dutch half geordie accent)

You mean like when Cabaye was sold and we had no replacement so Pardew played Gosling?  Except we had Ben Arfa and Marveaux sitting on the bench..  Don't make excuses for that clown, Ashley is an evil cunt but Pardew fucked himself again and again with his absolute incompetence and the reason he licked up to Ashley and made so many excuses for him was simply because he was desperate to keep a job that was way above his level.

Guest antz1uk

His record in the Cups with Boro:

FA Cup - 2 Semi's

UEFA Cup - Last 16, Runners Up

League Cup - Winners

Not bad at all in 5 seasons.

he'd best scratched that off his CV if he's interested then

His record in the Cups with Boro:

FA Cup - 2 Semi's

UEFA Cup - Last 16, Runners Up

League Cup - Winners

Not bad at all in 5 seasons.

That's unfortunately completely irrelevant to us.

Given our recent history with managers,I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with McClaren.

At least "former England manager" has a nice ring to it.

The same can be said about Howard Wilkinson

No, it can't.

Guest Roger Kint

where has he worked with Carr?

Who said he has? Wallace said they were friends as widely reported in January

I've been working in Derby recently and a few of their fans that I've talked to seem convinced he's on his way here next season, regardless of what happens RE promotion. He's liked it would appear, but I got the impression his departure wouldn't be met with mass disappointment. I can't say I've seen Derby play, but some of their fans say the football is pleasing, but they could be much better in the final 3rd, lots of possession football. I got the impression they wanted a more direct style actually. I rate him as a coach and think he would be an OK or reasonable appointment, but to really progress in terms of football and player development we  should be aiming higher like.

I'm not surprised that the Derby fans won't exactly be devastated to see him go. His team plays decent football but without goals it all becomes a bit pointless. If he comes here he might do a steady job. I can't see him being much of an inspiration but better than Pardew or Carver I suppose.

I've been working in Derby recently and a few of their fans that I've talked to seem convinced he's on his way here next season, regardless of what happens RE promotion. He's liked it would appear, but I got the impression his departure wouldn't be met with mass disappointment. I can't say I've seen Derby play, but some of their fans say the football is pleasing, but they could be much better in the final 3rd, lots of possession football. I got the impression they wanted a more direct style actually. I rate him as a coach and think he would be an OK or reasonable appointment, but to really progress in terms of football and player development we  should be aiming higher like.

I'm not surprised that the Derby fans won't exactly be devastated to see him go. His team plays decent football but without goals it all becomes a bit pointless. If he comes here he might do a steady job. I can't see him being much of an inspiration but better than Pardew or Carver I suppose.

as i said a few posts ago i think this is probably why we might pay compo for him....steady, not spectacular, no demands, unlikely to fail and get us relegated, reasonably cheap

ticks all the boxes

as i said a few posts ago i think this is probably why we might pay compo for him....steady, not spectacular, no demands, unlikely to fail and get us relegated, reasonably cheap

ticks all the boxes

Yep it looks nailed on tbh. Plus he's English and for all the talk of Tuchel or Garde, Ashley's never shown any indication that he is prepared to hire a foreign coach. Kevin Keegan's about as exotic as he's managed so far.

His personality is easier to digest but it's still absurd that we're not going for the best we can.

considering the owner this is not absurd in itself, what's absurd is we could have got garde without paying the 2m as long as we (presumably) brought in his backroom staff :lol: