Steve McClaren

Dave

Nothing said in his NufcTV interview that re-assures me going in to next week.

What's he said?

I'm generally surprised at how negative he has been at times the last week or so, seems to be building up,to an excuse for out inevitable defeat against Southampton.

Said he felt we had more control than in previous games.

He didn't really say much about the new signings other than he was glad to get them on the pitch.

We need players with flair out wide, capable of putting some quality balls in to the box. Right now the opposition only need their fullback on each side to defend against our wide players. Pace is not enough, it's too easy to read if you don't have much more than that. If we did have flair combined with pace in our wide positions then these players would draw so much attention and at the same time give so much more open space for our central players, our attacking midfielder and CF to name two. Technical ability out wide is sooo important. It's a big reason why we look fluid like frozen cum, because more often than not we either run in to blind alleys out wide and lose possession cause it's so easy to defend against a player with just pace, or the wide players end up getting stuck and have to turn back and play a meaningless short ball which slows the attack down without stretching the opposition out of shape.

I agree that we do but tbf we haven't seen Perez, Aarons, Wijnaldum and De Jong together for long to know whether they will be effective yet.

Yeah this is kind of what i'm hoping for. I must say that i'm very worried that McClaren will play Sissoko no matter what though. We do need a quality wide man, still. As you have mentioned before.

I agree that we do but tbf we haven't seen Perez, Aarons, Wijnaldum and De Jong together for long to know whether they will be effective yet.

The fact we have a manager who hasn't thought to throw them together at once in any of our friendlies is quite worrying imo.

It took us fucking ages to sign 3 players, and i doubt that we'll sign three more that we desperately need (minimum)

CB, LB and a wide man. In fact, my gut feeling is that we'll only sign one more...

It took us fucking ages to sign 3 players, and i doubt that we'll sign three more that we desperately need (minimum)

CB, LB and a wide man. In fact, my gut feeling is that we'll only sign one more...

Aye got a feeling we will get Austin to placate but probably sell Cisse or Sissoko to compensate.

De Jong looked sharp when he came on and linked very well with Mitrovic for his chance that hit the post.

Wijnaldum looked much better when he played deeper today

Spot on.

It took us f***ing ages to sign 3 players, and i doubt that we'll sign three more that we desperately need (minimum)

I could deal with a quality CB and winger, it's bare minimum shit but at least it fills most of the championship standard dross in the first XI.

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes

Not masses to say about #Nufc today; slightly concerning McClaren doesn't expect any senior additions to squad before next weekend.

#wait

Guest Bert Shaft

The warchest i gone... More than likely, the reality might sink in to the sheep when Schteeve keeps playing Willo, Colback, Gouffran and Osram bonce every week.

He's really impressing me.

He and his coaching team have put together an effective distribution system form our goal kicks and got us playing possession out of defence.  I've never seen Williamson play so confidently with the ball at his feet.

There's loads of other little things that would be tedious to list, one single example is how he had the CBs pushing into midfield to press the attackers who tried to drop into the pocket between our midfield and defence. 

Really does need to work on the attacking play now though.  That wide stuff was dreadful, turgid stuff on both wings in the first half.  Sissoko was standing on the ball, dawdling around and Obertan was using his pace to great effect but utterly failing at the ball playing stuff.  There was one moment in the first half that was without doubt the worst attempted delivery I have ever seen.  No need for further tests, the man ain't fit to wear the shirt.

I think it's easy to forget that it'll be a building process and the refined attacking stuff will most likely come last. I know Derby are a division lower but, by the majority of accounts, he played some really excellent stuff with them. I'm confident we'll be looking much better after a few games into the season, on that front.

Some of the tactical stuff was really interesting to see, someone said in the other thread that there was no organisation today, but I totally disagree, you could definitely see a structure and patterns forming. Perhaps we even tried one too many different things. Gladbach are an excellent side, defensively, they were very well drilled.