Steve McClaren

Dave

But KK is known for attacking football. My opinion of SMC is that he's defensive. He's not in Sam's league of awfulness but Big Sam would say the same s***.

But from what I can gather, SMc hasn't played defensive football since he went to Holland.

Fair enough but I haven't seen it yet. I'm drawing no conclusions except we haven't loooked like scoring thus far.

We scored against Southampton, had 10 men against 2 sides and looked a real threat on the break against Man Utd.

Not having a pop at you personally but some of the posts on the last couple of pages have been astonishing.

So are you saying to me playing Anita and Colback together playing 10 yard sideways and backward balls are good tactics, playing Sissoko on the wing is a good tactic, totally isolating your centre forward is a good tactic and if you think this team looks threatening then your watching a different game from me. Yes we were down to 10 men we were being totally overrun before that at Swansea and before the sending off yesterday every time Mitrovic got the ball there was nobody anywhere near him. At Man Utd we had one really threatening break away at the end and one quality cross from a defender which Mitrovic produced a very good header from totally indicating the type of service required - again you must be watching different game to me. Yesterday the one time Sissoko got to the edge of the area before the sending off, he produced a shot from a silly angle to have a shot from and with two players waiting in the box. Playing these two in the centre of midfield will no only produce negative football but is also totally to the detriment of the team an it's so blindl obvious even a blind man can see it but obviously not you.

Put your tampon back in man.

I've been very pleased with our performances so far. Sissoko is our most threatening wide player.

I'm never going to agree with your opinion, well because it's ludicrous and you are largely on your own.

Come back to me in 5 games time.

Total shit and total clueless

Cannot believe what I am reading, some people really do like to live up to the deluded Geordie stereotype.

Four games in and unless we've scored 50 goals and have 12 points, everything is terrible.

goes both ways tbh, there's only one poster who has come out with something totally outrageous that i can see so where the rest of your post comes from is a mystery, other people think it's fair to point out that he's made mistakes in his selections and tactics so far, which he fucking has

overall i'm personally not unhappy but instead of getting more quality at the back and forming a solid defensive unit we've 'opted' to get the whole team to protect the defence that's still as shaky as fuck when exposed imo and that's coming at the expense of our own attacking intent

you'd have to be overly harsh not to accept that we're going through a process mind and that mclaren is clearly trying to instill some professionalism all over the place and we'll be the better for it in the long run, he's being cautious and i can accept that but he can't do it forever he's actually going to have to get some points on the board, which i'm sure he will

I think most Newcastle fans, certainly on here, would like to see Colback dropped for De Jong or Perez and have a reshuffle.

But it's four games in and we have played much better than last season. The points and goals will come IMO.

Cannot believe what I am reading, some people really do like to live up to the deluded Geordie stereotype.

Four games in and unless we've scored 50 goals and have 12 points, everything is terrible.

goes both ways tbh, there's only one poster who has come out with something totally outrageous that i can see so where the rest of your post comes from is a mystery, other people think it's fair to point out that he's made mistakes in his selections and tactics so far, which he f***ing has

overall i'm personally not unhappy but instead of getting more quality at the back and forming a solid defensive unit we've 'opted' to get the whole team to protect the defence that's still as shaky as f*** when exposed imo and that's coming at the expense of our own attacking intent

you'd have to be overly harsh not to accept that we're going through a process mind and that mclaren is clearly trying to instill some professionalism all over the place and we'll be the better for it in the long run, he's being cautious and i can accept that but he can't do it forever he's actually going to have to get some points on the board, which i'm sure he will

I was referring to both Elcid and TCD who have made comments on the fact that SMC is shit because we're not playing attacking football (amongst other things).

Of course he is going to make mistakes early on, he's been manager for four games for crying out loud - he's got new players he's trying to fit in around the existing team.

If we had lost every game and been battered in each one, I'd understand peoples comments - but so far we've looked more organised (especially defensively) then we have for years.

The Anita-Colback thing's way overplayed, IMO. If we'd have been playing a primarily possession-based game over the last few matches then they'd have been a proper hindrance but I think they're a serviceable combo for when we're mainly looking to play on the break. They provide a platform for the front 4, protect the defence, cover the gaps left by full backs (which we do generally push high, tbf) and are decent enough to keep the ball when we need to relieve pressure. They're not particularly creative, aye, but we just need them to release the ball quickly when we have set ups like we did yesterday.

I do think Wijnaldum-Anita-Sissoko has some potential but it's not combative or disciplined enough to play against a team like Arsenal. Unfortunately, I think it's Anita that is the weak link in that scenario because he's just not got the physical ability for it and it'd mean Sissoko-Wijnaldum have to drop more and cover more to make up, creating an even bigger gap between the midfield and striker. We do need another midifelder to come in in the next window, hopefully swapping Tiote out.

We started aggressively yesterday, btw, but they quickly got into it. No shame in saying they were just in full flow for those 10 minutes. We were practically 4-3-3 then anyway as Wijnaldum was having to drop really deep as Coquelin was happy to push up. It was only a shame that we were too eager to get rid to Mitrovic in those early minutes, Simpson was seemingly trying to get them to calm down.

McClaren is yet to find his best 11 yet IMO, he's still fairly new here and probably has a bit to learn about a lot of his squad. That coupled with a pretty tough opening set of fixtures has probably made it difficult to get any real idea of progress. I can't say I was too impressed with how we competed for possession before the sending off yesterday, but Arsenal tend to do that to a lot of teams.

If in a months time we still don't look like scoring goals I might start asking questions, let's see how we do against the likes of Bournemouth or Villa.

goes both ways tbh, there's only one poster who has come out with something totally outrageous that i can see so where the rest of your post comes from is a mystery, other people think it's fair to point out that he's made mistakes in his selections and tactics so far, which he f***ing has

overall i'm personally not unhappy but instead of getting more quality at the back and forming a solid defensive unit we've 'opted' to get the whole team to protect the defence that's still as shaky as f*** when exposed imo and that's coming at the expense of our own attacking intent

I was referring to both Elcid and TCD who have made comments on the fact that SMC is s*** because we're not playing attacking football (amongst other things).

Of course he is going to make mistakes early on, he's been manager for four games for crying out loud - he's got new players he's trying to fit in around the existing team.

If we had lost every game and been battered in each one, I'd understand peoples comments - but so far we've looked more organised (especially defensively) then we have for years.

I just think he is a shit manager end of and just have a look at the number of times he has been sacked fully illustrates that. He is here though (how many actually wanted him though lets be honest) but to continue to play Colback and Anita to the detriment of the team is just totally baffling - doesn't matter if it's only four games or not a it was a lot more last season when they played together - the two don't work together as they neither have the physique or the passing ability to dominate the centre of midfield and are overrun very easily and in just about every game also.

I could get away with Anita (though even then he would not be by first choice as he is just brushed aside too easily) but to play both is honestly just shocking management and I don't care how you dress it up it is. Perez has done a million times more than these two and contributes a lot more also but is dropped and as a result we isolate our main striker. Sissoko is not a winger as he can't cross the ball and if he is to play should be in the centre of the pitch.

Looks like everyone would not play Colback and Anita and yet I am being seen at 'outrageous' for criticising the man who is selecting them to play lol - totally unreal - the formation is wrong, the tactics are wrong and playing on the break howay man do you really want to watch the passing of the ball 10 - 15 yards for 90 minutes between the midfield and defence to then have the odd break away. I put money on now that McClaren will continuously play Anita and Colback doesn't matter what - I wonder what would be said if a certain Mr Pardew carried out the same selection if he was still here.

Never said he's shit. Simply been cautious and defensive as I suspected.

That might also be down to the player's conditioning from the previous regime, I would be surprised if the mentality can be changed overnight. It took Keegan 8 games of dross before he got them to click following Allardyce's time as manager.

Never said he's s***. Simply been cautious and defensive as I suspected.

That might also be down to the player's conditioning from the previous regime, I would be surprised if the mentality can be changed overnight. It took Keegan 8 games of dross before he got them to click following Allardyce's time as manager.

Keegan took over mid season however. 8 games was roughly... 8 weeks, no?

Never said he's s***. Simply been cautious and defensive as I suspected.

Keegan took over mid season however. 8 games was roughly... 8 weeks, no?

just came to post the same aye, mclaren has had the entire preseason like :lol:

We've got options in the middle like. Not sure if Wijnaldum could play on yhe eing but him on the right and Thauvin on the left with Moussa and Vernon in the middle coild be a shout. Perez and Mitrovic up top.

We've got options in the middle like. Not sure if Wijnaldum could play on yhe eing but him on the right and Thauvin on the left with Moussa and Vernon in the middle coild be a shout. Perez and Mitrovic up top.

Nope Moussa needs a level of freedom and is undisciplined. Can only play central in a midfield 3 imo.

Nope Moussa needs a level of freedom and is undisciplined. Can only play central in a midfield 3 imo.

I do agree that he is undisciplined but with the correct coaching there's nowt to say that cannot be learned.

Midfield 3 of Wijnaldum, Sissoko and Anita is what we need to go for, with Perez and Thauvin on the wings.

Would not say no to that although still not convinced at all by Anita.