Steve McClaren

Dave

You would hope it is not true but you never know with this lot and there were muttering about a 5 year extension kicking in at some point when he arrived.

They never ever learn.  They eventually admitted that Pardew had run his course here and it was an uneasy relationship at the end but they would not have sacked him because of the compensation so why would you tie yourself into another long-term deal.  It just invites complacency because if the manager knows he won't be sacked where is the incentive for him to improve rather than just sit on his laurels.  And also things get boring for players and fans alike - you need freshness and innovation every so often otherwise it all gets rather stale.

And supposedly, if Ashley is true to his word - unlikely admittedly, and sells up on winning a trophy, why would you hand such a deal to the manager when a new owner might want their own man.

I know managers continually bleat on about needing time to implement their ideas but really a 3 year contract is enough although I don't see why they can't all be on rolling one year contracts.  If they are doing a good job, they have nothing to worry about but if they are not at least clubs are not tied to them because they cannot afford to sack them and the manager still gets a decent amount for failure.

Imagine if that's true. :lol:

Why wouldn't it be true? It's not like he's about to win the FA Cup within that 3 year period, and there's probably a clause in there that cancels it out anyway if we are relegated. It's like saying we'll give you a £20m bonus if you get us into the Champions league.

It will 100% be Cathro.

I'm not sure why, he just sits there next to McClaren like a constipated hamster at the moment. Maybe he's being deliberately guarded so he can spring all his real motivational and tactical skills once McClaren's out of the way.