Steve McClaren

Dave

He's f***ing terrible, got pretty much everything wrong from the moment he walked in the door.

Just said the same in the relegation thread.  He has been an utter disaster.  Worst thing is everyone other than the board called it.

Loads of people on here thought he would be brilliant.

Assuming he was to go after this weekend, which he should regardless of the result, can anyone name a serious and competent replacement that they think would be willing to come in for 11 games and risk a relegation on his CV?

I think having nobody would be an improvement, as it stands the players are discouraged by him IMO.  Actively not performing for the USELESS BASTARD.

He's f***ing terrible, got pretty much everything wrong from the moment he walked in the door.

Just said the same in the relegation thread.  He has been an utter disaster.  Worst thing is everyone other than the board called it.

Really? Must have missed that.  Load of people I go to the match with were seriously unimpressed at him getting the gig.

Really? Must have missed that.  Load of people I go to the match with were seriously unimpressed at him getting the gig.

Brilliant? Remember people thought he'd be OK but brilliant, wow.

Still can barely believe what happened last night. Not so much that we lost, but the way we did and we set up.

All of McClaren's spiel is about doing the right things, setting things up properly so that over a large enough sample of games we'd do alright.

Which is exactly what you have to do in the situation we are in.

However in effect it's the complete opposite and McClaren's making noises. We're setting out weirdly and managing changes horrifically. Proof of that is that even the one good result against West Brom was jeopardised by the game management.

Bad times.

Has Saivet been after McClaren's wife or something?

Mondial Sport come up trumps again.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/mondial-sport-management-amp-consulting-sarl/beraterfirma/berater/2106

Actually a bit scary and worrying how Mondial Sport manage so many players, former players and players we players we have been linked with.

They're Carr's contact & easy to deal with basically. It's bent as fuck.

True.

Assuming he was to go after this weekend, which he should regardless of the result, can anyone name a serious and competent replacement that they think would be willing to come in for 11 games and risk a relegation on his CV?

Moyes?

I don't know about that. He certainly wasn't my choice but I was prepared to give him a chance - which he's had now and he's welcome to fuck off. I know you were a committed critic and fair do's you were right.

Brilliant is a bit strong, I thought he'd be a significant upgrade on the shite we'd had for the past 4 years based on what he achieved with Twente / Derby. Turns out he's been shite, fair enough. Maybe everyone who 'apparently' called it from the strong can go and throw a party, congratulations.

I thought he'd be average but we would play better football and players wouldn't regress like they did under Pardew. Couldn't have imagined him being this bad.

The spending has turned out to be a massive red herring as well... all our signings were punts in the style of old. The 'proven' PL players all have massive weaknesses of their own.

We've had so many bad results away from home I can understand him shitting bricks and playing for the 0-0. Although on those same lines he then has no right to moan about being unlucky to lose 1-0.

Regardless, I've become more convinced that in order for us to stay up he has to go. Time to get someone else in to have a go at getting these players to buy in. I still think the players / club are poisonous, but McClaren has failed.

It's not a chicken and egg situation.  We've had so many bad results away from home because he shits a brick and plays not to get beat and has done since he arrived.  If the useless prick had any balls we'd play our game home and away but he hasn't.

Well exactly.  The excuse that we had to line up defensively because been twatted 5-1 by Chelsea in our last away match would be valid if we were twatted because we'd been gung-ho going forward. But Newcastle has never been gung-ho under McClaren, we've just been gung.

I thought he'd be average but we would play better football and players wouldn't regress like they did under Pardew. Couldn't have imagined him being this bad.

The spending has turned out to be a massive red herring as well... all our signings were punts in the style of old. The 'proven' PL players all have massive weaknesses of their own.

The proven premier league players aren't great or awful. The problem is we didn't address two of our most glaring weaknesses at the back and up front. If you can't defend and can't score it stands to reason you will have problems. McClaren has to shoulder the blame for that as well. His transfer activity has been as confused as his football direction.

I wanted Bilic in the summer and would take Moyes or Rodgers now. I think Moyes would do a good job long-term, although something tells me, maybe based on Keegan's style, that Rodgers and NUFC would be a good fit. Would take either of them in a snap at the moment, although Rodgers has said he'll look for work in the summer so may need a bucket of cash to persuade him. A lot less money than we'll lose by going down though so it's worth the approach in my opinion.

Mind you, it'll never happen with Charnley there. If we remove McClaren then it'll be Nigel Pearson or someone similar. Despite squad imbalance and some criminal recruitment, the current squad is still good enough for 30-35 points by now and the reason I think the mackems are favourites to stay up (out of those on 24 points) is that Allardyce will bully performances out of their players. A Pearson or Moyes may get that response short term although Pearson long-term doesn't particularly fill me with excitement.

I was one of those who wasn't so downbeat upon hearing about his appointment. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but his time is up now. Get rid before it's too late.

His insistence after every game that we have been 'unlucky' is fucking insulting.

We need a manager who will scare the sh@t out of the players if they fail to give 110% in every remaining game. The players will all be planning on moving on if we get relegated and they need to be told in no uncertain terms that they will not be sold if we are relegated and that they will be made to honour their contracts and will be expected to get the club promoted from the championship. 

We need a manager who will scare the sh@t out of the players if they fail to give 110% in every remaining game. The players will all be planning on moving on if we get relegated and they need to be told in no uncertain terms that they will not be sold if we are relegated and that they will be made to honour their contracts and will be expected to get the club promoted from the championship. 

I agree in general terms, some of that will be tricky though. If they have release clauses for example, or if we actually want them off the wage bill in the event of relegation. Or if they're already leaving anyway.

Our whole club is modelled on selling players, if anything the players already know that they are going to leave if we go down. It makes no difference to them what league we are in, if someone bids enough we will accept.