them 1-1 Us - 10/11/07 - Official match thread (Post-match reaction from p15)

midds

Pathetic amount of kneejerkers present in this thread. I'm not happy with a lot of Sam's decisions (indeed I'm frankly baffled by a few of them) but I'm not calling for his head 12 games in. If we'd lost all 12 and were rooted at the bottom of the table á la Spurs under Jol then maybe I'd be more on the side of getting rid of him. See what shape we're in in a few games time. Bolton didn't get in the top 8 4 years in a row through luck.

it doesn't take time to pick a team that doesn't completly suck, espesically with the players we have in the squad.

Guest optimistic nit

enrique and martins should have started. milners goal was a total fluke, we needed zog in the final 3rd and our top scorer.

corrected your post.

aye, but they didn't, zog and martins should have been given at least 25 minutes, at the very least (by zog i mean zog at left mid.) i think zog was at fault for the goal. although what do you expect when you play a lm at lb (albeit a defensivly sound lm).

Pathetic amount of kneejerkers present in this thread. I'm not happy with a lot of Sam's decisions (indeed I'm frankly baffled by a few of them) but I'm not calling for his head 12 games in. If we'd lost all 12 and were rooted at the bottom of the table á la Spurs under Jol then maybe I'd be more on the side of getting rid. See what shape we're in in a few games time. Bolton didn't get in the top 8 4 years in a row through luck.

Guest optimistic nit

i thought faye had a really good game, zog was ok as was enrique. owen looked quite good.

Have to say, enrique seemed quite anonymous from what i saw.

oops, i meant rozy.

WE ARE SOOOO S****!! Lucky goal for us by Milner. Sunderland was the best side by far, and I count us lucky  getting away from there with one point. Whats up with Emre and Barton? Along with Smith, the didn't produce anything! Milner wasn't to great either. Should have put Oba on earlier in the second half, as Owen never looked as a threat. In defence, we are struggling to look comfortable, and personal mistakes are again destroying us. The lack of desition from Faye was enough for Jones to get to him, wich resulted in the corner that lead to the Mackem-goal.

When we play 4-4-2, we have to use classic wingers, not Barton as RM. Enrique as left back, Zog on the LW and Milner on RW would have been the thing to do tonight. Kind of miss Solano as an option in midfield as well.

We so badly need some flair in the middle. An AM like Diego or Riquelme (not comparing them in any way) would be immense! Hope MA lets BSA get his hands deep down his pockets in January, and that we get some real quality up front, not the average players we have bought this summer. Neither one of them has stood out as "super signings", and someone really need to tell BSA that you don't have to buy possible "hidden monsters" each time.  :tickedoff:

enrique and martins should have started. milners goal was a total fluke, we needed zog in the final 3rd and our top scorer.

corrected your post.

aye, but they didn't, zog and martins should have been given at least 25 minutes, at the very least (by zog i mean zog at left mid.) i think zog was at fault for the goal. although what do you expect when you play a lm at lb (albeit a defensivly sound lm).

i think him and rozenhal were both caught ball watching, and i have no idea what harper was doing. Its sad to see a newly promoted team of grafters have the guile to play a quick corner and catch us off guard.

Seems like we have a lot of players who aren't mobile enough to cope with premiership pace.

A good result considering the team selection and performance, but we need to Zog in an attacking role. And Viduka and Owen are both good players, but without Oba on we lack penetration and don't scare teams.

Barton had a nightmare, Smith did a good job breaking things up, I think that is all he is capable of now.

Pathetic amount of kneejerkers present in this thread. I'm not happy with a lot of Sam's decisions (indeed I'm frankly baffled by a few of them) but I'm not calling for his head 12 games in. If we'd lost all 12 and were rooted at the bottom of the table á la Spurs under Jol then maybe I'd be more on the side of getting rid. See what shape we're in in a few games time. Bolton didn't get in the top 8 4 years in a row through luck.

Don't see too many calling for his head, tbh.

Guest sittingontheball

A bit lucky on the whole, but only because we played poorly for long spells against a poor side.  We could even have won it in the end with a bit more attacking.

We gift wrapped their goal with a series of errors, but they were kind enough to give us one back.  You can almost hear Greavsie say "You know what Saint, you can pay nine million for one, but he's still a Scottish goalkeeper".

The overall feeling is one of relief.

There's nothing kneejerk about Sam's continued poor tactics and team selection.

He needs to fgure out an XI and stick with it.

Sam's tactics are an absoloute joke. Zog at left back with Enrique on the bench.  :rolleyes:

Emre FFS get further up the pitch, he should have been on the end of those couple of balls played across the goal, as should Milner, why not take a gamble? It's only a 15 yard run. On the other hand Rozehnal played well as did Smith imo. I know we seemed to get lucky but we could have easily won that if we'd wanted. I just can't understand his reasoning for putting Zog at left back. Really can't. :no:

Don't see too many calling for his head, tbh.

I saw several. And not only in this thread. The majority of people on here are more patient though.

i thought faye had a really good game, zog was ok as was enrique. owen looked quite good.

He seemed to spend quite a bit of time on his arse tbh.

:lol: yes he did

Nyt, he didn't even come on man, what you on about?!

Allardyce is far too negative, he only has himself to blame for feeding the kneejerkers.  How long does it take for the kneejerking to become valid?

Guest optimistic nit

corrected your post.

i think him and rozenhal were both caught ball watching, and i have no idea what harper was doing. Its sad to see a newly promoted team of grafters have the guile to play a quick corner and catch us off guard.

the back post header has to be dealt with by the left back imo. aye, i think rozy may have been able to do more, but zog was caught ball watching. given may have saved it, he may not have. its not really the time to say this, but after seeing the second pompey goal i think given would have definately saved that, a debate that was present at the time. you cant really blame harper for the goal.

Guest optimistic nit

He seemed to spend quite a bit of time on his arse tbh.

:lol: yes he did

Nyt, he didn't even come on man, what you on about?!

i meant rozy, i've said that above tbh.

There's nothing kneejerk about Sam's continued poor tactics and team selection.

He needs to fgure out an XI and stick with it.

I didn't say there was anything kneejerk about his managerial decisions - I said in that post that they confuse me as much as anyone. We look terribly disjointed at times. The people wanting rid this early on are the kneejerkers in my opinion. I only hope Sam can figure out what's going wrong because it's pretty obvious to the majority of us. He's not stupid even if he looks it sometimes.