Newcastle United 0 vs Liverpool 3 - 24/11/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

James

I've heard that Geremi simply just didn't have a clue where the hell he was meant to be or what he was supposed to be doing. Or was he just s*** anyway?

Can someone sum up for me? What actually was the intented formation/system? I don't care whether it worked or not, cos it clearly didn't.

We started off with a 3-5-2, but Liverpool surprised us by pusing Kewell on to make a 4-3-3. We failed to respond to then change, which is why Geremi was left isolated and unsure of what job he was actually doing.

Guest Novocastrian

If Sam doesn't start to get some good results soon it will all be academic, he will be sacked.

Ultimately, all managers are judged on results and ours are now starting to reflect the piss poor performances we have been churning out all season. In the longer term poor performances always turn into poor results.

A tonking off Arsenal and a poor run up to Christmas and/or a poor Christmas programme will see the end of him. And why not? He needs to convince Ashley and the board he is the right man to spend the clubs money. He is on the verge of losing the team and the fans if he hasn't already and it's going to take a Herculean effort to turn it round now.

If I could only see one small glimpse of a brighter future I would be happy but the performances have been dire. It will soon be time to cut the links with the previous regime. Goodbye Sam, another highly rated manager's reputation in shreds because he can't get his team to pass the ball to each other. Of course we could give him time, give him £10-£20 to spend in January on functional, journeymen players, finish 13th-17th and then sack him at the end of the season.

Bottom line is, he is not the answer to our problems.

Milner finally emerged just before the hour and when he replaced N’Zogbia the Frenchman was booed off the field.

It sounded like the boos were for Sam for taking him off, not for Charlie.

Same as the Owen off for Oba coming on situation, non of the boo'sw were aimed at a  player but aimed at Sam's decision making.

I hope Zoggy knows thats the case or he could really suffer from that..

I've heard that Geremi simply just didn't have a clue where the hell he was meant to be or what he was supposed to be doing. Or was he just s*** anyway?

Can someone sum up for me? What actually was the intented formation/system? I don't care whether it worked or not, cos it clearly didn't.

3-5-2.  Geremi and N'Zogbia wing-backs. Geremi would get the ball and have absolutely no options, inside or down the line. He was also s**** apart from that, though.

Geremi's been a major disappointment - was expecting him to put in some good performances and lead by example as the captain.

If Sam doesn't start to get some good results soon it will all be academic, he will be sacked.

Ultimately, all managers are judged on results and ours are now starting to reflect the piss poor performances we have been churning out all season. In the longer term poor performances always turn into poor results.

A tonking off Arsenal and a poor run up to Christmas and/or a poor Christmas programme will see the end of him. And why not? He needs to convince Ashley and the board he is the right man to spend the clubs money. He is on the verge of losing the team and the fans if he hasn't already and it's going to take a Herculean effort to turn it round now.

If I could only see one small glimpse of a brighter future I would be happy but the performances have been dire. It will soon be time to cut the links with the previous regime. Goodbye Sam, another highly rated manager's reputation in shreds because he can't get his team to pass the ball to each other. Of course we could give him time, give him £10-£20 to spend in January on functional, journeymen players, finish 13th-17th and then sack him at the end of the season.

Bottom line is, he is not the answer to our problems.

Who the hell is?

Other than that the rest is the be all end all.

Anyone in the crowd enlightened Ashley to the Hitzfeld campaign?

My opinion is that as we are known as a sacking club and Big fat useless Sam knows that.  He is making himself appear to be incompetant so that he gets sacked, paid off his contract and gets to take the now vacant England job.

His team choice today was suspect but, his substitutions were laughable.  Emre for Barton after a few minutes of the second half?  Zog for Milner (Left winger on the left for a right winger to play out of position!) and then to cap it off take off a left back to replace him with an old, fat useless right back who is far from fit to face one of the quickest right wingers in the Premiership (Babble).

Let him go and get someone like Moriniho in who does know what he is doing.

My opinion is that as we are known as a sacking club and Big fat useless Sam knows that.  He is making himself appear to be incompetant so that he gets sacked, paid off his contract and gets to take the now vacant England job.

His team choice today was suspect but, his substitutions were laughable.  Emre for Barton after a few minutes of the second half?  Zog for Milner (Left winger on the left for a right winger to play out of position!) and then to cap it off take off a left back to replace him with an old, fat useless right back who is far from fit to face one of the quickest right wingers in the Premiership (Babble).

Let him go and get someone like Moriniho in who does know what he is doing.

That's quite a conspiracy theory.

Why the fuck did sam take off Emre for Barton when we were 2-0 down? And then take off Zoggy a LW for Milner a RW? And to top it off Enrique a LB for Carr a fucking RB. It just doesnt make sense

Barton for Emre wouldn't have been so bad as part of a double substitution. Emre had played midweek and wasn't really doing much, tbh.

I have seen many NUFC v Liverpool games since 1968, and although we have been beaten several times by them before, this is undoubtedly the WORST display by a Newcastle side v L/Pool in all that time esp as it was at SJP.

Even the 4-0 loss at Anfield in the FA Cup in 1984 wasn't as big a disgrace as this performance...

We could have lost by at least 6.

Obviously, 2 major factors have affected this - they are now a whole league better than us and we have gone so far back as a club in the past 4 years that people are now expecting us to lose at home to them.

Whilst I anticipated a defeat, the manner of this performance was appalling - lack of spirit and cohesion from the players, bad tactics and selections(once again) from the manager and the general impression that nobody knows what they are doing, either on or off the field.

Liverpool out-passed and out-classed us to a degree which was a total embarrassment to all NUFC fans.

They have some better players, but the main difference was the excellent passing and movement of their side compared to ours - however much they have spent does NOT make them a 5 times better side than we are potentially, and that was what they looked today - or, rather, what we MADE them look.

Had we given a decent display and lost by, say 2-1, no-one would have complained but this was dire.

As has been said, we are in a very tough spot indeed now - unless there is someone of top quality who is prepared to join the club, we have no option but to stick with the current manager UNLESS this continues for a few weeks more ,when relegation would threaten and neither the club nor Ashley can afford THAT..

It almost looks as if the club are being put in the position of HAVING to sack the manager - why would that be, do you think..!!???

Morale among both team & fans is obviously at rock-bottom and this situation cannot continue for long but the options are very limited.

This is as tough a situation we have faced since Gullit committed professional suicide in 1999, but this time, there is no-one of the calibre of SBR waiting in the wings.

As McDermott said after we blew the title in 1996 ; 'sometimes, I think the club is cursed.."

Beye, Enrique and who in defense?

This is how we lined up mate iirc:

--------------------------------(Halfway Line)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matins-----------Viduka-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------(Edge of Box)----------------------------------------------------------- (Back of Stadium)------------------------

-------Emre - Butt - Smith----------------------------------- (Touchline)--------------------------------------------------

Charles ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Geremi

Enrique --- Rozenhal --- Beye --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(Car Park)

----------------------------Given-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allardyce should be given the rest of this season unless we can get somebody earlier to turn things around and take us forward, unless were in danger of relegation.

The fans are not to blame for this, the fans don't want these stupid tactics and team changes from one game to the next, that's down to one man, the manager.  We had a reasonable start but had no stability in the team selection or tactics and we've paid a high price for that as we've got no confidence as a team. 

Allardyce is a small town manager with a small town mentality, he’s like a fish out of water here and I can’t see any improvement.  He’s going to be like Roeder and his best chance of changing things might be if we lose so many players in January that he can’t keep making changes to the team and has to rely on a smaller pool of players.

I’ve lost the small amount of hope I had that he could adapt, he can’t adapt and we might as well write this season off in the hope that we can once again make the right managerial appointment come the summer break, I’d take Mourinho tomorrow but we know that probably isn’t possible even if he wanted to come here.  If I was Mort or Ashley I’d be talking to Bobby and asking him to approach Mourinho with a view of sounding him out.

Beye, Enrique and who in defense?

This is how we lined up mate iirc:

--------------------------------(Halfway Line)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matins-----------Viduka-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------(Edge of Box)----------------------------------------------------------- (Back of Stadium)------------------------

-------Emre - Butt - Smith----------------------------------- (Touchline)--------------------------------------------------

Charles ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Geremi

Enrique --- Rozenhal --- Beye --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(Car Park)

----------------------------Given-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It doesn't make sense given the recent poor results if Big Sam still given the chance for being manager until end of season.

Ok some of us said, give him a chance at least 1 season, or he won't fully transform the team in the sort time. But 1-4 vs Portsmouth and 0-3 vs Liverpool at home, or 0-1 vs Derby, 1-2 vs Reading and 1-1 vs Mackem away, simply not enough for the so-called good manager. In other word, Big Sam not good enough and never good enough for us, even if he is given the time.

I think we've got to give Allardyce until next summer, but it's going to be harder to say that if we start flirting with relegation at the business end of the season. On the back of recent performances (outplayed in our last 4 games) you have to say that it's a real possibility. Fulham created far more at Anfield than we today, to put things in some perspective. We still have to play Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea as well, and you can't see us getting much change there. It's a case of blind faith at the moment, you just hope that somehow things will improve.

Allardyce is making himself almost indefensible with his team selections and eccentric decisions, most of which have not been forced upon him. With only two fit full backs and two fit wingers you would have thought at least half of the team picks itself (within reason), but he seems to have other ideas and I'm yet to meet a fan who can work out what he's trying to do. Without overanalysing the situation, it seems like he's trying to be a clever bugger when what we really need right now is to go back to basics. Get players in their correct positions and get some continuity going.

I don't like to pick on individuals on the back of a poor team performance, but my concerns about Rozehnal grow with every game. When Taylor was alongside him he had his work cut out. Similarly Cacapa at Derby,  Faye against sunderland and today it was Beye's turn. Despite our poor performances I can at least see some positives in Enrique, Beye, Faye and Cacapa, but Rozehnal just hasn't convinced me at all.