Nail your colours to the mast: Sack or No Sack?

Keefaz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In my mind, where Big Sam is concerned, I must confess that (cautious) expectation has already been replaced by hope, and hope will soon be replaced by desperation if we continue to put in (non-) performances like we have against Liverpool, Portsmouth, Reading, and Derby, complete with bizarre square-peg-in-round-hole formations, frustratingly one-dimensional and negative tactics, and continual WTF substitutions. However, like others on here, and for similar reasons, I still feel that we need to stick with Sam for the season, unless we're in serious danger of relegation.

When contemplating the dreaded "R" word, I think it's also worth keeping in mind that notwithstanding the utter shite of the past month or so, we're still sitting in 11th spot on the table, and assuming we lose our next two matches to Blackburn and the Arse, it's extremely likely that we'll remain in that position, with a series of much more attractive fixtures ahead of us (Birmingham at home, Fulham away, and Derby at home, respectively). By Christmas time then, there's still a reasonable (and perhaps even a good) chance that we'll be in the top half of the table, even if we haven't exactly hit our straps by then.

So, unless relegation becomes a serious prospect (which seems unlikely), I'll nail myself to the "pro-Sam" mast for this season, although I confess that I'll be waiting very nervously to see what transpires in the January transfer window. While I like much of what Sam appears to be doing off the pitch, I think it's fair to say that so far there's also been a few absolute clangers - signing Smith imo (as many of us feared at the time); appointing Geremi as captain (which many of us didn't see as a problem at the time - myself included - but which looks like one on the basis of recent evidence - where was his leadership today, for instance?); and, of course, failing to sign any speed or enough creativity in the midfield (including a set piece taker who can at least occasionally clear the first man at corners ... not that this was even an issue today, of course - you have to win corners to have a chance of fucking them up, after all).

Despite the above clangers, if Sam can address our midfield shortcomings in January with a couple of astute signings, and then show that he's capable of learning from his mistakes in terms of team selections and tactics (to that end, I'm looking to send him an "Idiot's Guide to Passing and Possession" book as a Christmas present), then I think we should be okay. However, I concede to his critics on this board that, on the evidence thus far, there is a serious question mark over Big Sam's "learning capacities", and if he's going to survive at the Toon then he's going to have to learn fast how to learn fast, if you know what I mean. 

We shall see ... and no doubt remain seriously nervous, and three-quarters pissed, in the meantime. I'm hoping, however, that most of the home support will resist the temptation to turn Saint James's into a pantomime theatre while they watch the drama unfold. How anyone can think that an atmosphere like today's can help to bring the best out of our manager or players remains a complete mystery to me. No, imho, while as supporters our frustration and criticism are completely understandable, there are appropriate times and ways of expressing such things, and those who resort to a continual cycle of boos, hisses, and premature walkouts are nothing short of pathetic.

Fantastic post, im 100% with you.

The fans singing it were utter pricks imo. Congrats on making us a laughing stock. The Liverpool fans normally have a few witty ditties when they're doing well but we did the work for them yesterday. The performance on the pitch was shite, obviously but that's besides the point. Rarely have I been so embarrassed at SJP.

Fucking hell - I'm in tears here.

Guest Knightrider

Sven, Houllier, Ramos, Hughes, Redknapp, Moyes, O'Neill, (insert your own name here), Allardyce needs more than 13 games.

I'm shocked fans have rounded on him so quickly, fans who before he arrived chopped and changed their own opinions on who they'd like to see manage us from one week to the next, fans who if we win our next 3 games will put Allardyce back in the good book, fans who said no to Sven last time, but would love him and his sexy football now. I notice Redknapp is currently flavour of the month and a good back up option incase we can't get Mourinho...

Don't you see, it doesn't matter who is in charge, a manager needs more than 13 games.

I guarantee if it was Sven, Houllier or whoever who was having a dodgy patch the same threads would be made about them.

Oh and yesterday was one of the most embarrassing moments I've had to endure sitting next to my fellow fans.  Well fucking done on makBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOing us the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO laughing stoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOck of the PremBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOiership agaiBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOn

NUFC fans = idiots

:lol:

Mind, I was just as embarrassed about the performance, but still, 13 games....

Lets hope Ashley and Mort are not idiots, eh.

Guest Knightrider

The fans singing it were utter pricks imo. Congrats on making us a laughing stock. The Liverpool fans normally have a few witty ditties when they're doing well but we did the work for them yesterday. The performance on the pitch was shite, obviously but that's besides the point. Rarely have I been so embarrassed at SJP.

Fucking hell - I'm in tears here.

Still want Roy Keane as manager? :lol:

Sven, Houllier, Ramos, Hughes, Redknapp, Moyes, O'Neill, (insert your own name here), Allardyce needs more than 13 games.

I'm shocked fans have rounded on him so quickly, fans who before he arrived chopped and changed their own opinions on who they'd like to see manage us from one week to the next, fans who if we win our next 3 games will put Allardyce back in the good book, fans who said no to Sven last time, but would love him and his sexy football now. I notice Redknapp is currently flavour of the month and a good back up option incase we can't get Mourinho...

Don't you see, it doesn't matter who is in charge, a manager needs more than 13 games.

I guarantee if it was Sven, Houllier or whoever who was having a dodgy patch the same threads would be made about them.

Oh and yesterday was one of the most embarrassing moments I've had to endure sitting next to my fellow fans.  Well fucking done on makBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOing us the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO laughing stoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOck of the PremBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOiership agaiBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOn

NUFC fans = idiots

If i were at the game yesterday i would of walked out of the ground in disgust...of the fans.

Terrible. We look like the muppets everyone brands us as. Well done.

Guest Knightrider

He need 2 years at the least. I see this first season as a rough period. Next season we'll know more, if halfway through that we are going nowhere, then think about changing him. He needs time though and I can't stomach another merrygoround which YOU AND I KNOW will start all over again once any new manager goes through a rough patch which is fucking inevitable.

All managers go through rough patches. I remember Sir Bobby sticking with 3-5-2 for a while, us losing pathetically, I remember two 11th place finishes, I remember watching some absolute shite from him on a par and even worse than anything I've seen so far under Allardyce.

OMG!! we've lost a few matches and are only 10th.

Jesus wept man, honestly.

Oh and yesterday was one of the most embarrassing moments I've had to endure sitting next to my fellow fans.  Well f****** done on makBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOing us the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO laughing stoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOck of the PremBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOiership agaiBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOn

NUFC fans = idiots

I would have thought 13 games was enough for a manager to get some basics right.

He need 2 years at the least. I see this first season as a rough period. Next season we'll know more, if halfway through that we are going nowhere, then think about changing him. He needs time though and I can't stomach another merrygoround which YOU AND I KNOW will start all over again once any new manager goes through a rough patch which is f****** inevitable.

All managers go through rough patches. I remember Sir Bobby sticking with 3-5-2 for a while, us losing pathetically, I remember two 11th place finishes, I remember watching some absolute s**** from him on a par and even worse than anything I've seen so far under Allardyce.

He looks out of his depth at the minute but I'd give him until May to prove himself unless somebody better came along and we were in trouble.

NUFC fans = idiots

If i were at the game yesterday i would of walked out of the ground in disgust...of the fans.

Agreed. Completely embarrassing.

Oh and yesterday was one of the most embarrassing moments I've had to endure sitting next to my fellow fans.  Well f****** done on makBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOing us the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO laughing stoBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOck of the PremBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOiership agaiBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOn

NUFC fans = idiots

100%agreed good post

Guest Knightrider

NUFC fans = idiots

I would have thought 13 games was enough for a manager to get some basics right.

How about 8 years of getting them right at Bolton?

NUFC fans = idiots

NE5, i feel total and utter delight on agreeing with you, CoachHTT, where the hell have you been? we've been fighting this alone for 12 pages!

NUFC fans = idiots

Different club, different era, starting from a different base etc etc.

Been alluded to in othe rposts elsewhere, but there are plenty of managers who were phenominally successful in one club then failed elsewhere.

Could even be said to a degree that Keegan failed everywhere other than here.

He's not at Bolton anymore and needs to recognise that fact. He's got his big club chance and (imo anyway) he's now trying to prove he can cut it with the big boys by being too clever, as if to say 'look my style at Bolton worked for Bolton but I can mix it up and be fantastically tactical at a big club'.

Unfortunately he has botched it up with this approach, he should have started with the basics, stuck to a set formation and played people in their correct positions. Tinkering comes after the basics have been got right.

Someone (Mort or Ashley) needs to sit him down and let him know that there is no target league position this season, but there must be signs of progress and improvement in style or he's off in May

We're not talking about Bolton, we've had managers in the past who had done things at previous clubs, all that matters is what he does here.

Guest Knightrider

He need 2 years at the least. I see this first season as a rough period. Next season we'll know more, if halfway through that we are going nowhere, then think about changing him. He needs time though and I can't stomach another merrygoround which YOU AND I KNOW will start all over again once any new manager goes through a rough patch which is f****** inevitable.

All managers go through rough patches. I remember Sir Bobby sticking with 3-5-2 for a while, us losing pathetically, I remember two 11th place finishes, I remember watching some absolute s**** from him on a par and even worse than anything I've seen so far under Allardyce.

He looks out of his depth at the minute but I'd give him until May to prove himself unless somebody better came along and we were in trouble.

I wont disagree. To me he looks like someone who doesn't quite know what to do but that doesn't mean he wont eventually find a winning formula. Like I've said all along, he experiments, I warned people about this when we appointed him, until he finds what he's looking for. He's obviously underestimated the lack of patience here and need to buck his ideas up fast and just get the season over and done with on an ending that is going to show everyone things will get better and we will improve. He can do that by first playing players in their correct positions, sticking to one system and then shipping out those he doesn't want in January and bringing in a few he does.

As for someone better. Not this crap again. Who? If we were to sack Allardyce, no-one worth their salt would want to come anywhere near us. We'd end up with Moyes or someone like that who guess what, would need 3 years or something.

There is no easy way about this so we just have to shut the fuck up and let the manager get on with it for better or worse. For once.

If I was Sam I'd resign and go after the England job, it's much easier. 13 games in and his own fans who when we were beating his old team 3-1 were chanting his name, turning on him publicly? Disgraceful. Souness or Roeder never got this.

Again jesus fucking wept. It takes a lot to shock me but I am shocked at the turnaround in opinion and the lack of patience showing from fans. It makes me wonder why they bother, they are like a dad who no bloke will ever be good enough for his daughter.

Guest Knightrider

NUFC fans = idiots

NE5, i feel total and utter delight on agreeing with you, CoachHTT, where the hell have you been? we've been fighting this alone for 12 pages!

Deliberetly staying away from here because of the crap that follows very defeat.

NUFC fans = idiots

When you say this are you implying that his decisions are completely born out of incompetence? I mean when you say basics i assume you mean playingthe right players in the right positions etc? I know i'm sounding like i'm clutching at straws but isn't there a distinct possiblity that as he's seen them train for the past 6 months he might actually have a method to his madness.

Dont get me wrong, im literally on the fence with Sa, i dint want him at the club in the first place however im willing to give him a season, the reason being that he can have no excuse for failure in his second season, whereas this season should have been a right off from the start, the club hasnt had so many changes in one go for many years, i defy any manager to have to change anything round so quickly so easily.

In my opinion we reallly need to be looking at ourselve as a mediocre team, i personally dont place my opinion any higher then Fulham, people need to relise that in the past 4 horrific years we've dropped down the pecking order hugely. I dont think Fulham fans feel any divine right to be outplaying liverpool and portsmouth week in week out.

Where we should be and where we actually are as a team are completely comletely different things, unfortunately alot of our fans seem to judge our team against our potential and not with the reality.

You have to remember that Sam was appointed when we were skint, and a club who can't promise a transfer kitty will probably not attract a highly successful manager. The situation has changed with a billionaire in charge and next summer, if Ashley is willing to open the purse strings, you can bet our pulling power will be much greater. Go to the top managers and tell them they'll have plenty of money to implement their ideas and they'll listen. Money talks.

I'll be surprised if Sam's still here next season but he should be given until next summer.

Guest Knightrider

Mick, it isn't 13 games anyway because in 8 of them he's obviously been doing something right because we've picked up points in 8 of those games.

So in 5 games he's not got things right. Big deal. Lets take a closer look though shall we. How many of those games was he forced into trying out new things because of injury? How many of those 5 games were we expected to lose anyway, regardless? How many of those games were we unlucky in? What other factors played their part? Aye, when you dig deeper things aren't so black and white.

Here, don't get me wrong, we've been shite for the best part of the season and no I'm not happy with Big Sam either, but I'll be damned if I join the simpletons in wanting him out or get myself carried away over 13 games one way or the other because my intelligence tells me he and any fucker else needs to be judged over a season, maybe even two regardless.

The fact his record at Bolton was so good, helps. He is no Souness or Roeder. He's no Sir Bobby either but we may never know unless we get off our fucking high horses and show a bit of patience and understanding and get behind the man instead of mocking him in public on our own home turn with the world watching on.

Guest Knightrider

You have to remember that Sam was appointed when we were skint, and a club who can't promise a transfer kitty will probably not attract a highly successful manager. The situation has changed with a billionaire in charge and next summer, if Ashley is willing to open the purse strings, you can bet our pulling power will be much greater. Go to the top managers and tell them they'll have plenty of money to implement their ideas and they'll listen. Money talks.

I'll be surprised if Sam's still here next season but he should be given until next summer.

Like who?

Which top manager would come here? They are all tied up or those that aren't or may move, will have their pick of clubs, clubs who will be able to offer them more than just money.

Don't be fooled by Ashley's wealth or overrate Newcastle United, a piss poor club on and off the pitch with a piss poor record of achievement and holding onto managers.

Exactly right, football is full of chequebook managers, surely one of them will fancy it

To me he looks like someone who doesn't quite know what to do

If I was Sam I'd resign and go after the England job, it's much easier. 13 games in and his own fans who when we were beating his old team 3-1 were chanting his name, turning on him publicly? Disgraceful. Souness or Roeder never got this.

1. That is exactly what the people at SJP think. So they voiced it in their arena.

2. Didn't Souness go 10 games undefeated when he first joined? He was trying to be tough from the start. Sam is trying to be smart and is playing players in blatantly wrong positions. Souness didn't even do that to the whole team.

Roeder also had a good run when he first took over as care-taker.