MON - Shearer for England

Mr. Snrub

I give you this quote from Wednesday night at half-time.

"We need to foul one of them, rattle 'em, anything to get the crowd going"

Inspiring, Al.

Damn right as well.

Can't believe anyone would even consider this when someone like Capello has expressed an interest.

Capello also has negatives though?

Real Madrid sacked him even though they won the league because they didn't think his football was entertaining. He plays very defensive football. Can England fans tolerate that?

He has a reputation for falling out with players. That could be a good thing, or it could equally be a bad thing. He dropped Beckham for ages when he was in form, just because he had signed up for LA Galaxy. Then he went back on the decision.

He doesn't speak English. He can learn that, but at the moment it is a negative.

He also has a reputation for having a huge ego. Also could be a good thing, but as we are feeling with Allardyce, maybe not.

There is a possibility or suspicion that he may have been involved in the Juventus match fixing scandal when they won the Italian title but were disqualified. I don't know for sure if he was, but any suspicion would go against him with the FA wouldn't it?

Club football does not always translate to International football.

I'm not saying he would be not be a good choice, maybe he would, but it is not quite as black and white as some think it is.

The people who run Real have proved over and over again that they're fucking idiots though. That club succeeds despite the idiots they select to run it rather than because of them. They're much more interested in glamour than winning football matches.

Shearer as England manager is totally ridiculous, the only reason that Owen wants it is because he's his mate and if he's clever it might be because he thinks it'll buy him some support with some of our (NUFC's) more fickle fans.

The only reason I'd be happy with it is that it would mean that he'd not be able to be our manager before he'd proved himself as being capable of doing the job. If he managed that with England (or someone else) then fine, but if he failed with England then perhaps people would realise that hiring a totally unproven manager is a bad idea without it damaging us in the process.

Not that I'm wishing bad on the national team, but if someone's going to take a total punt on Shearer as manager, I'd rather it be them than us. If he's any good then we can always get him afterwards, when he's been sacked due to the media have turning on him after his inevitable failure to win the world cup by beating Brazil 25-0 in the final and being crowned eternal champions of the Universe as everyone else is far too terrified of our brilliance to dare to play us anymore.

The only reason I'd be happy with it is that it would mean that he'd not be able to be our manager before he'd proved himself as being capable of doing the job. If he managed that with England (or someone else) then fine,

That's pretty much why I'm open to the idea! :)

I don't know if he'd be any good, but I just don't know if Capello would be any good either. I don't think Sven was all that good as England manager in the long run. In the light of McClown he looks better, that's all.

Shearer could be if he had the right people around him. As someone else said, Mark Hughes did well at Wales and then moved on to club management. There are probably lots of examples where an ex player has not done well, as there are those who have. Truth is we just don't know until we try it, and like you I would rather it was for England than for us. I'm glad it is not my decision though, and I hope the FA explore ALL the options before deciding.

I don't think it'd be a bad career choice for him on a personal level, and i don't think he'd do a horrendous job. I wouldn't be gutted to see him given it - it'd certainly re-kindle my interest and it'd be great to see how he'd do.

But there are better options.

Terrible choice for country and Shearer if they went with that.

He might not do a bad job with the right people around him and given the best support but its a great risk for him, if it goes tits up where does he go from there?

Cappello or someone with an appeasing CV will only be good enough for me. To be honest I dont want to see Shearer thrown to the wolves, just yet.

You gotta understand that all the Germany's tactics are managed by Lowe. Klinsmann is just responsible for the general setup and picking the starting 11, as well as motivating the players and set up basic strategies. That's why Germany can perform well in 2006 even if Klinsmann isn't a established manager.

Who can backup Alan then? If no then it will be 100% a mess.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

dutch did it with riijkard as well, its proven to work!

Oh and bluestar, i hate u, that little bug you have running around pissed me off, i was trying to get it off my screen thinking it was real lol

Its a difficult one, i mean shearer hasnt got any experience at all, its one of the biggest jobs in the world, and would make or break his entire career, i think the passion that he has would transend into the team well, i dont think the FA will offer him the job though, its one of the biggest job in the world and if the FA get it wrong again then they are fucked. They wont gamble, this job has got Capello written all over it. I mean i'd personally like to see a managers whose philosphy is to attack, and has a good record of implementing that into his team, i genuinely believe that the quality we have in this team should and maybe would steamroller over 90% of the national teams out there. Playing restrictive football with the quality of players we have is madness in my opinion.

Guest Knightrider

I hear he's considering it and the FA have been in touch with him. Could happen. I'd say give it back to Hoddle myself but I'm leaning towards Big Al.

Fine by me, let him get his feet wet with England to see if he's good enough for the top job ;)

I like this idea.  Everyone says they want him to get some experience before he manages here, and this is the perfect opportunity.

Its a difficult one, i mean shearer hasnt got any experience at all, its one of the biggest jobs in the world, and would make or break his entire career, i think the passion that he has would transend into the team well, i dont think the FA will offer him the job though, its one of the biggest job in the world and if the FA get it wrong again then they are f*****. They wont gamble, this jobb has got Capello written all over it. I mean i'd personally like to see a managers whose philosphy is to attack, and has a good record of implementing that into his team, i genuinely believe that the quality we have in this team should and maybe would steamroller over 90% of the national teams out there. Playing restrictive football with the quality of players we have is madness in my opinion.

Heads should have rolled along with McClaren tbh.