Something I Feel We've Missed

Tooj

Since Shearer's decline, especially over his last two seasons, as well as Larry Roberts getting shipped out.

We really have missed that extra special something, by which I mean long range shooting.

Whenever you felt Shearer and Robert had the ball within 30 yards of goal, you always felt we had a chance of something happening, if they hit it, there was a fair chance it would either go in, or at least be on target. It's just something I feel that we have lacked over the past few seasons, that element of surprise and excitement when we have players with the ability to do this.

Or even if the ball doesn't actually go in, there's obviously the factor that it brings rebounds etc  blueyes.gif

apparently last season a higher proportion of our goals came from outside the box than any other side. martins has a long-range shot tho a bit hit and miss, emre and milner can both strike it but rarely get into good positions from which to do so, same with n'zogbia. none of the aforementioned players hit it hard and low tho, so it is unlikely they will force the keeper into spills or pushes out into the box, it's either a goal, pushed over the bar or miles off target with our lot.

i still miss laurent, he should be brought back

Really?  ???

May aswell bring Shearer back while we are at it.

We could do with bringing in a player of his ability, that bloke had more talent than the majority of our current grafters squad put together.

Guest Eires No. 1

Since Shearer's decline, especially over his last two seasons, as well as Larry Roberts getting shipped out.

We really have missed that extra special something, by which I mean long range shooting.

Whenever you felt Shearer and Robert had the ball within 30 yards of goal, you always felt we had a chance of something happening, if they hit it, there was a fair chance it would either go in, or at least be on target. It's just something I feel that we have lacked over the past few seasons, that element of surprise and excitement when we have players with the ability to do this.

Or even if the ball doesn't actually go in, there's obviously the factor that it brings rebounds etc  blueyes.gif

We never have a chance to get a shot in from 30 yards!!!  And if we ever do manage to get anywhere near the opposition goal, our players are always closed down by at least 1 player! Strange that, cause when we defend we back off and back off or of course the old niggly foul that we give away is another option!

Heres an idea, how about 1 of our central midfielders a, actually gettin into opposition terrority and b, getting beyond our forwards for a change! :(

we will never be able to replace someone like shearer

laurent robert was my favourite player, one of the reasons was what you said, if he had the ball in the opposition's half, he would shoot.  it excites the crowd and the game tempo rises, we miss this!

martins is the only person who will think about shooting from far away but most of them go in row z

Martins at Bolton

Milner at Sunderland

N'Zogbia at Boro

Emre against Everton

One was blatently a cross.

We lack shooting ability.

We are slow as fuck - no real pace - yes it is important

Technique - average at best

Crossing ability

Passing ability.

Lots of hard work though

Fucking marvellous. Yesterday was an embarrassment to the black and white shirt. Too many settle for mediocre players who 'graft'

What a load of shite. We need talent and athleticism coupled with technique. At the minute we are so predictable. Yesterday Gerrard pissed all over us. He knew exactly where to go and what to do with our shite system. Clueless.