Newcastle United 2 - 1 Birmingham - 08/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

JH

brilliant result ... i thought we might of had that kind of performance after the arsenal match to be honest. This is a really good win... normally we would have lost or drawn this kind of match... dont give a flying spanner about the performance, although from what i saw we deserved it.. we fought like we did against arsenal, but we had better quality overall going forward... final third needs to be looked at.. we were lacking people in the box in the right areas... if the players keep playing like this i will continue to support sam

Just reflecting on the result and I have to say this result, potentially, could be huge.

To use a cliche, it had every possibility of being "after the Lord Mayor's show" and a defeat (and maybe even a draw), could have knocked the confidence back to pre-Blackburn game levels.

Having come through it with a win (and from what I read, not too bad a performance), and with the euphoria that a last minute winner always brings, it could take a huge weight off our shoulders. Maybe some smiling faces in training on Monday.

Good to get 3 points, was awful conditions to play football in. While on the way I was thinking about Geremi & conclusion is......that when we play 433 he is getting a bad rap for the lack of creativity on the right hand side when really it is Oba who is out there on the right hand side.

Who was that arse playing 7 for Brum? What a dickhead he was all game.

Larsson is number 7 for Brummie

That makes sense not only because you are factually correct but that this fella has all whinging & whining that I seen on Wednesday night when we played Arsenal, Wegner trains all his boys to pass, move & gripe.

Good point actually

Just reflecting on the result and I have to say this result, potentially, could be huge.

To use a cliche, it had every possibility of being "after the Lord Mayor's show" and a defeat (and maybe even a draw), could have knocked the confidence back to pre-Blackburn game levels.

Having come through it with a win (and from what I read, not too bad a performance), and with the euphoria that a last minute winner always brings, it could take a huge weight off our shoulders. Maybe some smiling faces in training on Monday.

overall it was a good performance... our quality of passing and the "Final third" needs to be looked at though.

Sub 50,000 today, must be for the first time since 2001.

We were sub 50k quite a few times last season.

Yep, thinking back we were.

Not helped by the standard of opposition and they only brought about 3 men and a dog with them.

Sub 50,000 today, must be for the first time since 2001.

We were sub 50k quite a few times last season.

Yep, thinking back we were.

Not helped by the standard of opposition and they only brought about 3 men and a dog with them.

Few more positive results and I cant see it taking long to get back up to full house numbers

Aye, only about 1,400 Birmingham fans today. All the empty seats are in the part of the stadium as well, not to mjention most expensive.

The fans today made a fair bit of noise, when the Gallowgate is up for it, the ground is rocking.

Heard some idiot on the radio on the way home saying that we performed poorly and had no width. I thought we played some good football today.

Given- 6.5 Had barely anything to do all game, couple of comfortable stops.

Beye- 8 Best game yet, defensively and attacking. Won us the corner that he scored from.

Taylor- 7 Very powerful, never put a foot wrong.

Rozehnal- 6.5 At fault for the goal but otherwise very composed.

N'Zogbia- 7.5 Involved in alot of our attacking play.

Geremi- 7 Worked hard throughout, calming influence.

Butt- 4 Gave the ball away 4 times in the time he was on the pitch.

Barton- 7 By far our best passer of the ball today. Lunatic foul let him down.

Milner- 8.5 Never lost the ball once, the heart and soul of our attacking performance today. MOM

Smith- 7 Worked hard, held the ball up nicely and won his share of headers.

Martins- 7.5 Could of had a couple. Deserved his goal.

Subs:

Viduka- 7 Inspired in the first, tired in the second.

Enjoyed the game. We completely dominated a team who beat Spurs last weekend.

i have to say after reading all of the post match reaction i'm astounded that no-one's mentioned the penalty. i know that sam doesnt specify a penalty taker and he leaves it up to the players but for fucks sake can martins please never be allowed to take a penalty EVER again? haway, we all know finishing is the weakest part of his game and yet he was allowed to take a MASSIVE pen, imagine the atmosphere if he missed that, he tried his fucking best to, what on earth was that run up about!?

positives, smith putting in another solid performance, starting to look like mr reliable, beye good AGAIN, milner worked hard and looked like he was always getting the best of his man, zoggy solid and potent going forward, barton looking more dangerous, if a bit erratic, good battling performance in our 3rd game of the week

negatives, rozenhal getting worse by the game, quite a bit of fan unrest at mis-placed passes, even when we retained possesion, fair play to the players for plugging away

i was in the newcastle arms before and after the game, afterwards everyone hushed for sams sky interview, everyone jeered when he mentioned the lads being tired after the 2 games previous, nice one lads, support

People are being a bit unfair with this.  Smart foul really, with attacker getting away from him, far better take him out there than risk a foul on the edge of the area and have us let in another wonder goal.  If it was anyone else we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Really nervy stuff, but three points is three points.  I was expecting 1-1; I'd forgotten how cool late winners are :)

Oh, and I just wanted to say: if you were one of the four blokes in Row P of the Gallowgate middle tier (around about seat 100) who spent the whole time making a noise: your sentiments were admirable, but you looked a right bunch of pricks trying to stare out the parents and kids around you who were there to watch the game, and shout when they wanted.  Calling them f.cking c.nts and demanding that everybody join in with your songs isn't the way to bring back the noise, like.  It's not like anyone was booing.

haha yeah i saw them, didnt look like they were 'staring' anyone out to be honest, just getting into it, did you hear them calling people cunts?

People are being a bit unfair with this.  Smart foul really, with attacker getting away from him, far better take him out there than risk a foul on the edge of the area and have us let in another wonder goal.  If it was anyone else we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Smart foul would have been to clip his heals. Dangerous tackle IMO, couldn't have complained if he got sent off.