The Three Greatest Players Of Your Lifetime

Tooj

Pele

Maradona

Zidane

All great, all won the world cup, all stood the test of time & at club level were the main influence in their teams & they all won titles at club level.

I'd also mention Best, if he'd been English (or Scottish) he would have should his class at international level.

Maradona probably by some distance.

The Dutch trio were exceptional. For a spell people genuinely mentioned Gullit in the same breath as Maradona. Of the 3 his peak was probably jsut a shade better than van Bastens. Debatable, obviously.

Mattheus was an incredible athlete and footballer and probably the reason Germany won in 1990. That often gets overlooked.

I used to like watching Stoichkov and Hagi though. They were superb.

Never saw enough of Cruyff or Pele really to make a judgement.

Always thought Baggio was over-rated. He wasn't in Zidanes league in my view.

1. Zidane - made everything so easy

2. Ronaldo - unstoppable in his peak

3. Ronaldinho - unplayable when he first went to Barca, still doing amazingly well considering the stick he gets

Zidane and Ronaldo really do stand out for me, there's nobody else that I've seen that I'd put up there with them or whom I consider noteably better than the best of the rest.

Matter of time before Messi is up there, reckon he could potentially be the best I've ever seen.

For Newcastle:

Beardsely

Shearer

Ginola (On his day)

Worldwide:

Maradonna

Zidane

Ronaldinho - Though this 3rd place could have gone to any of about 10. Bergkamp, Ronaldo, C. Ronaldo, Henry, Stoichkov, Hagi, Rui Costa, Cantona, Gascoigne (In his very short prime), Van Basten, Baggio and many others all right up there.

Maradona probably by some distance.

The Dutch trio were exceptional. For a spell people genuinely mentioned Gullit in the same breath as Maradona. Of the 3 his peak was probably jsut a shade better than van Bastens. Debatable, obviously.

Mattheus was an incredible athlete and footballer and probably the reason Germany won in 1990. That often gets overlooked.

I used to like watching Stoichkov and Hagi though. They were superb.

Never saw enough of Cruyff or Pele really to make a judgement.

Always thought Baggio was over-rated. He wasn't in Zidanes league in my view.

I agree about Baggio.

Thought about it a bit more and ive changed things around a bit, i want to say Zidane but the fact that he didnt really do anything of note before the age of 25  is working against him, in my opinion he's not THE greatest but extremely close.

Romario is a player who been overlooked, has done it in all leagues he's played, and has been consistenlty brilliant to the present day, bit of a footballing genius. Ronaldo is another one who was a talent like no other, the definitive unplayable striker, brilliant at all the teams he's played for and has done well and adapted to every league well that he's played in, also aplayer who's done it at all levels.

I think it really goes against a player when they apply there trade in only one league throughout they're careers, thats why i'm steering clear of the likes of Batistuta, and Del Piero and many others, while they are all excellent players there achievements can be matched (roughly) to those of say Andy Cole. if that makes sense.

Bergkamp was excellent, as was Kluivert, Clarence Seedorf is an excellent playuer as well, very difficult to choose.

michael laudrup (btw he was ten times the player his little brother was)

shearer - obviously i love newcastle, but his goal scoring record speaks for itself as well

diego maradona

For Newcastle:

Beardsely

Shearer

Ginola (On his day)

Worldwide:

Maradonna

Zidane

Ronaldinho - Though this 3rd place could have gone to any of about 10. Bergkamp, Ronaldo, C. Ronaldo, Henry, Stoichkov, Hagi, Rui Costa, Cantona, Gascoigne (In his very short prime), Van Basten, Baggio and many others all right up there.

I agree with Ginola - was absolutely amazing on his day.

For me in order of nostalgia:

Shearer

Zidane

Ronaldo

I have so many memories of USA 94 - although many would argue otherwise, I loved that tournament -Romario, Baggio and Hagi were amazing in that tournament. As was Hong Myong Bo.

Diego Maradona

Zinedine Zidane

Ronaldo

I was young when Maradona was about but it seems wrong to leave him out. Zidane and Ronaldo are the only two players to have won been awarded world player of the year three times. While this award is far from conclusive, it shows that they maintained their performances over a number of years. Many great players such as Ronaldinho have lit up the game but have struggled to maintain such a high level of form, while others such as Henry have often failed to produce anything in the biggest games.