Ben Tozer signs on 4.5 year contract

Thespence

Guest shearer_united

Wiki says he will sign for 1.1m + a few clause payments, who knows who put that on there though.

The whole club is not worth that much.

Some people said 26 million was too much for a 16-year-old.

Wayne Rooney sure proved them wrong.

Though i dont know about this 1.1 million. :D

Wiki says he will sign for 1.1m + a few clause payments, who knows who put that on there though.

You obviously missed the point that Swindon Town were close to administration about a month ago & it is on its arse £££'s wise. The above from wiki was £1.1 + few clause payments, the reality is 250K  + few clause payments which is more reasonable.

Guest shearer_united

You obviously missed the point that Swindon Town were close to administration about a month ago & it is on its arse £££'s wise. The above from wiki was £1.1 + few clause payments, the reality is 250K  + few clause payments which is more reasonable.

Ahh i see.. :)

btw about the Rooney part. I just wanted to say it for some reason.

Goodnite

Ahh i see.. :)

btw about the Rooney part. I just wanted to say it for some reason.

Goodnite

No problem :)

On your Rooney point, he was 18 when Man Utd bought him.

Have a good night.

Plymouth teenager Ben Tozer's proposed move to the Premier League has been warmly received by the young defender's former teachers and raised a potentially bizarre coincidence.

Tozer is expected to seal his rags to riches switch from cash-strapped Swindon Town to wealthy Newcastle United this week in a deal which could ultimately reach £1.1million.

The 17-year-old's million pound move will put the former Plymouth Argyle youth player on a par with another Plymothian Trevor Francis.

However, the millionaire's club status is not the only common ground between the pair as in an odd quirk of fate, they both attended the same city school - Pennycross Primary.

And while former England, Nottingham Forest and Sampdoria striker Francis served his time nearly 40 years ahead of Tozer, Pennycross Primary's headmaster Kevin Storey said it is a record the school are proud to own.

"It's a fantastic achievement for Ben who we all remember very well from his time at Pennycross," said Mr Storey.

"Ben came to our school in 1998 but I'm not really surprised that he has gone on and proved to be a very good footballer.

"But I must admit to being stunned, as we all are, and of course really thrilled that he will be joining a big, big club like Newcastle.

"And I'm saying that as a dyed-in-the-wool Sunderland supporter.

"It is, nonetheless, astonishing, really, that Plymouth's other £1million player, Trevor Francis, is also a former pupil."

Mr Storey added: "Trevor went on to play for England and be bought by Brian Clough, of course, and is now on TV.

"But Trevor always keeps in touch and when we were having a reunion party about four years ago, he rang and apologised that he wouldn't be able to make it.

"Ben is very similar in nature to Trevor - both are quietly determined, but bursting with natural talent.

"I remember when Ben was in his final year at Pennycross he played in midfield - well, anywhere he liked to, really - for our Year Five team.

"He was always a cut above the others, but always very courteous and modest.

"We're delighted for him and proud of him."

Tozer's tutor for five years at Plymstock School repeated the youngster's virtues, while admitting to being no big football fan.

Mr Andrew Withey, who teaches history at Plymstock, insisted Tozer had been a popular lad - both with the staff and his peers between 2001 and 2006.

Mr Withey said that the teenager had remained in contact since leaving to further his football education.

He said: "I'm absolutely thrilled and excited by Ben's news - it's just fantastic for him.

"He was pretty much what I suppose you would call a model student, while still being able to lark about with the rest of his mates.

"I was his tutor for all the time he was at Plymstock and although I didn't have to teach Ben, I got to know him really well over that period."

Mr Withey added: "He was obviously sports obsessed but didn't let that deflect him from his academic studies, as his popularity in the staff room can testify to.

"He is level-headed, quite humble about himself - just well brought-up, really.

"I still get emails from Ben, telling me how he's getting on - well, I can read it for myself now in the newspapers.

"The school is very proud of him." 

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/3b/4b/0,,10341~3361595,00.jpg

I've never heard of him. But he looks deformed. Crouch-like almost. Can see why he's caught the scouts eye. :eek:

Looks a bit like James Milner, Pie is going to hate him.

if he's just 17 then he may well become quite a physical presence as he ages & puts on some muscle mass.  just look at how zoggy has filled out

Swindon Town caretaker manager David Byrne expects Ben Tozer to be a Premier League star at Newcastle United.

The 17-year-old defender was due to hold talks and have a medical with the Magpies on Tuesday after the clubs agreed a fee.

"Ben is a laid back character and sometimes that doesn't help him when he plays, but I knew I had a gem all along," Byrne told the club website.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Tozer will make it in the Premiership."

Byrne added: "He is one of the best youngsters I have ever worked with because he listens and does exactly what you want him to do on the pitch."

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/3b/4b/0,,10341~3361595,00.jpg

I've never heard of him. But he looks deformed. Crouch-like almost. Can see why he's caught the scouts eye. :eek:

if he's just 17 then he may well become quite a physical presence as he ages & puts on some muscle mass.  just look at how zoggy has filled out

I really was talking about the side shot of his face mate.  :laugh:

Nowhere near as spotty, has time on his side for about 3 or 4 years, doesnt 'play' in the Premiership and hasnt proved his mediocrity yet. Not similar at all.

I really was talking about the side shot of his face mate.  :laugh:

sorry, TT i should've quoted the good Dr.'s post. i was more commenting on the "crouch-like" statement.  all apologies etc.  :spock:

SAM Allardyce is hoping that the deal to bring Swindon Town starlet Ben Tozer to Tyneside will be finalised over the weekend.

The 17-year-old was at St.James' Park earlier this week and completion of his medical is expected in the next couple of days.

And Big Sam told Newcastle World TV that Tozer is one of a number of "development" players he is looking to bring to Tyneside in the coming months.

"We're waiting for the completion of Ben's medical before the deal is done and hopefully that will be sometime over the weekend," said Allardyce.

"We want to build the younger end of our squad and to get a few more development players.

"Ben is an excellent prospect and hopefully he'll be the first of a number of young players we bring in."

The 6ft 3ins youngster operates at left back and in central defence and began his career with Plymouth Argyle.

He made his senior debut for Swindon at the start of this campaign in a League Cup tie against Charlton having also represented English Schools FA U18s last season.

The 17-year-old's million pound move will put the former Plymouth Argyle youth player on a par with another Plymothian Trevor Francis.

However, the millionaire's club status is not the only common ground between the pair as in an odd quirk of fate, they both attended the same city school - Pennycross Primary.

And while former England, Nottingham Forest and Sampdoria striker Francis served his time nearly 40 years ahead of Tozer, Pennycross Primary's headmaster Kevin Storey said it is a record the school are proud to own.

"It's a fantastic achievement for Ben who we all remember very well from his time at Pennycross," said Mr Storey.

"Ben came to our school in 1998 but I'm not really surprised that he has gone on and proved to be a very good footballer.

"But I must admit to being stunned, as we all are, and of course really thrilled that he will be joining a big, big club like Newcastle.

"It is, nonetheless, astonishing, really, that Plymouth's other £1million player, Trevor Francis, is also a former pupil."

Mr Storey added: "Trevor went on to play for England and be bought by Brian Clough, of course, and is now on TV.

"But Trevor always keeps in touch and when we were having a reunion party about four years ago, he rang and apologised that he wouldn't be able to make it.

"Ben is very similar in nature to Trevor - both are quietly determined, but bursting with natural talent.

"I remember when Ben was in his final year at Pennycross he played in midfield - well, anywhere he liked to, really - for our Year Five team.

My Dad went to that school, and was in the same team as Francis and got to the Plymouth Schools Cup Final with him. My Dad was inside left, and Francis was centre forward.

Also, my Grandmother lived about 100 metres from this school, and when I was younger, I'd spend many Saturdays in Pennycross playground, or the nearest park, or the adjoining cul-de-sac playing football with the local kids - there is a fair chance that I could have played with him at some point.

This does mean though that Tozer lived in a part of Plymouth where he wouldn't have had much access to football on flat grass until he moved on to Plymstock aged 12, so he would have learnt his early skills in a very compact concrete environment with kids that could be described as slightly rough. This could hopefully mean that Tozer is a mentally strong and technical player.

My Dad went to that school, and was in the same team as Francis and got to the Plymouth Schools Cup Final with him. My Dad was inside left, and Francis was centre forward.

Also, my Grandmother lived about 100 metres from this school, and when I was younger, I'd spend many Saturdays in Pennycross playground, or the nearest park, or the adjoining cul-de-sac playing football with the local kids - there is a fair chance that I could have played with him at some point.

This does mean though that Tozer lived in a part of Plymouth where he wouldn't have had much access to football on flat grass until he moved on to Plymstock aged 12, so he would have learnt his early skills in a very compact concrete environment with kids that could be described as slightly rough. This could hopefully mean that Tozer is a mentally strong and technical player.

Good bit of deduction there James.

Genius. That's what that is.

Are you one of Sams new scouts Jimmy lad?

I'm just saying that I'm familiar with the footballing environment the kid would have been brought up on.

At school, playground facilities consisted of narrow alleyways between concrete buildings, plus a minute fenced in playground shared by 100 pupils where any ball played over six feet equals a lost ball. After school, due to the estate being on a steep hill there were not very many places to play, so it was a case of either jumping over the school gate, or playing on my Gran's cul-de-sac which was built on the same platform that had been raised for the school.

The nearest park was mostly woodland apart from a very steep grassy bank. It took a ten minute drive to get to the nearest playing field, and parking was difficult.

Thus he was raised in an environment where kids had to improvise in tight spaces in order to keep the ball under the teams control.