Alan Smith

tmonkey

Alan Smith has made me look a right tit, because I believed he was a good player and defended him against criticism. 

I actually come to the conclusion he was a good signing for a good price when we got him.  But after watching him play awful in midfield and upfront repeatedly, I now don't rate him as a player.  He's totally gash.  He offers nothing to the game other than bookings a plenty.  His challenges are crude and never timed well, and that's ALL HE DOES.  He rarely links up play well, he has no idea where the back of the net is... and it seems like £6million down the drain.  Of course, I'm open minded to seeing him getting back on the goal trail, or perhaps even showing glimpse of midfield talent to justify some games there as cover, but I have no faith or confidence in the mans ability to play football and I'm actually quite pleased when he picks up bans from his yellow cards as it means the headless chicken routine is rested for another game.  Because of his selfish and stupid nature to throw wreck less challenges at the opposition for 90 mins, it means I’m always dreading a red or two yellows and condemning us to 10 men. 

Sorry Smith, but your not good enough for England or Newcastle.  Try Championship, you may get some goals in that league or even be able to run a midfield.  If not there is always league one.  ;)

How about he just doesnt say anything to the papers about him?

"Kevin, a word on Alan Smith?"

"Sorry, no I'd rather not say anything about him"

Cue papers next day "KK WANTS RID OF SMITH" or "KEEGAN IGNORES SMITH" or whatever. Fact is, he gets asked questions. If he doesn't answer them, the press will print any old rumour crap about him disliking Smith or thinking he's shit, which will cause more trouble.

Guest Sniffer

I don't think he's untouchable at all.

If Martins impresses KK over the next two weeks I think he'll be selected ahead of Smith. Not sure that I'd want to against a manure team that SAF will have blasted if I was him though.

I'm not afraid to admit that i thought he was a good signing but he's getting less and less effective as time goes on. Not just not scoring but never even having any chances. I think his last attempt at goal must have been that hooked volley at the end of the first half v Liverpool!

His only two games when he's looked a decent and influential player were Bolton (a) and Everton (h).

Fair play to you for that. I don't expect a similar admission from others.

Whoa there. I think quite a few of us have around to this conclusion.

We have better options in the midfield and up top. And he's  contributed next to nothing.

I thought he might benefit-- and the team might benefit having him as a striker. But not at the expense of Viduka or Martins certainly. At this point, I'd rather see Keegan run Ameobi out there. He scored more goals for us last season in fewer starts than Smith has managed.

With other crap strikers, such as Beattie, you'd get the feeling that one goal would break the duck and he'd go on a run of games where he'd be on fire. Even if Smith were to score against Man Utd in our next match, how many would be confident it'd be the start of a scoring spree?

With other crap strikers, such as Beattie, you'd get the feeling that one goal would break the duck and he'd go on a run of games where he'd be on fire. Even if Smith were to score against Man Utd in our next match, how many would be confident it'd be the start of a scoring spree?

Personally, I think he's lost the scoring touch. As many have said before, it's been coached out of him. At this moment in time he offers nothing. I'd love to see Oba back in the side and back to his best. We could really do with his goals

Personally, I think he's lost the scoring touch. As many have said before, it's been coached out of him. At this moment in time he offers nothing. I'd love to see Oba back in the side and back to his best. We could really do with his goals

He's never had the goalscoring touch though. He must average 8-10 goals a season.

Domestic record for Leeds, Man U & us....

248 starts (57 subs), 50 goals.

one in five, fuck me, there must be midfielders with ratio's as good as that. (Speed for NUFC - 213/29 - and i dont remember a single game up front)

Guest battyleespeed

Smithy will be a huge asset in the upcoming relegation scrap. At least you are guaranteed to get 110% from the guy every match. He was instrumental for us in our home game against Arsenal not only tackling & pressing but splitting the Arsenal defense open so he can play some neat football and once he manages to get his first goal more will follow. Give the guy break, he is playing for a team which confidence has been shot and at the moment pretty much useless creating chances for forwards.

Smithy will be a huge asset in the upcoming relegation scrap. At least you are guaranteed to get 110% from the guy every match. He was instrumental for us in our home game against Arsenal not only tackling & pressing but splitting the Arsenal defense open so he can play some neat football and once he manages to get his first goal more will follow. Give the guy break, he is playing for a team which confidence has been shot and at the moment pretty much useless creating chances for forwards.

1. I could run out there and give 110% and so could every poster on this forum. Doesn't mean shit.

2. One decent game against a team that was off the boil at the time is a fairly shit return for an entire season's effort.

3. Alan Smith does not, and has never, played neat football.

4. He hasn't scored in 3 years tell me how exactly he is going to break open the most stingy defence in the league?

5. As shit as the team is Owen bagged 2 in the last 2. The chances are there, he is just not good enough to take them.

6. The reserves is for building up confidence.

7. Just bandying about cliches doesn't make it true.

No, Smith is not the player you want in a relegation scrap. Ask Leeds fans why.

Guest battyleespeed

1. I could run out there and give 110% and so could every poster on this forum. Doesn't mean s***.

2. One decent game against a team that was off the boil at the time is a fairly s*** return for an entire season's effort.

4. He hasn't scored in 3 years tell me how exactly he is going to break open the most stingy defence in the league?

5. As s*** as the team is Owen bagged 2 in the last 2. The chances are there, he is just not good enough to take them.

1. So could I but I bet none of us here has his stamina and the technique to go with the effort level.

2. The team hasn't had many decent games for the whole season. We've been struggling the whole season and our performances have been very scrappy. Granted that could give excuse for all of our players for not performing but personally I've seen lot of positives in him. He hasn't succumped under pressure like many others (Given, Cacapa, Rozenthal, Barton, etc.).

3. I don't think you can get into team that playes one of the most attacking football in the league by being a poor footballer (technique and intelligence wise). Obviously he's a crafter and playes with somewhat mental style but he does have decent enough footballing brain and technique to be more than a destroyer.

4. My guess is that when we get our midfield and defence sorted out and can actually start playing instead of chasing shadows.

5. And how long did it take Owen to net 2 in 2? He had quite dry spell before that and he isn't really comparable to Smith anyway  Two totally different type of players with different assets and weaknesses.

6. Like we have any extra bodies to spare for "reserves" right now.

We aren't getting any new players between now and end of the season... have to do what we have right now. In my eyes he is doing hell a lot better than many others in the team who have bottled it in one way or another.

Fair play to you for that. I don't expect a similar admission from others.

oh, I'll admit that he's not the same player he was at Leeds Dave when he's played upfront with a player or two who will run past him when he gets the ball ie support him in the right way.

What I'm not comfortable with is the judgement as a midfield player, and a direct replacement for Dyer. He may have been in monetary terms - according to Allardyce - but this is one of the things I picked up ref the intentions and ambitions of the new owners, placing budget restraints on a new manager when the club clearly needs a lot of new players.

I can buy the notion that they wanted their own man in, and Keegan coming tells me they have promised good support. Time will tell. There's no escaping the fact without it - and I mean the same support other top clubs give - he has no chance.

Players getting yellowed or sent off and suspended dont help in a relegation battle...

...tho with Smith, it actually could help. Heres for another sending off in injury time of the manure game.

1. I could run out there and give 110% and so could every poster on this forum. Doesn't mean s***.

2. One decent game against a team that was off the boil at the time is a fairly s*** return for an entire season's effort.

5. As s*** as the team is Owen bagged 2 in the last 2. The chances are there, he is just not good enough to take them.

1. So could I but I bet none of us here has his stamina and the technique to go with the effort level.

2. The team hasn't had many decent games for the whole season. We've been struggling the whole season and our performances have been very scrappy. Granted that could give excuse for all of our players for not performing but personally I've seen lot of positives in him. He hasn't succumped under pressure like many others (Given, Cacapa, Rozenthal, Barton, etc.).

3. I don't think you can get into team that playes one of the most attacking football in the league by being a poor footballer (technique and intelligence wise). Obviously he's a crafter and playes with somewhat mental style but he does have decent enough footballing brain and technique to be more than a destroyer.

4. My guess is that when we get our midfield and defence sorted out and can actually start playing instead of chasing shadows.

5. And how long did it take Owen to net 2 in 2? He had quite dry spell before that and he isn't really comparable to Smith anyway  Two totally different type of players with different assets and weaknesses.

We aren't getting any new players between now and end of the season... have to do what we have right now. In my eyes he is doing hell a lot better than many others in the team who have bottled it in one way or another.

Like when he played at Manyoo you mean? He was as much of a headless chicken there. The main point here is that, however Smith may be defended in the eyes of a minority, we have far better strikers in line that should be playing before he gets a look in - Viduka, Oba, even Andy Carroll.

The only way Smith will be an asset is if he joins the rest of us in the stands cheering the boys on during matchdays

Smith is by far and away not the man you want in a relegation battle AS HE DOESN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING USEFUL TO THE FUCKING TEAM. In a relegation battle you want someone who will create chances, score, defend properly, not just graft for grafting's sake. He's crap. Crap crap crap. Until everybody on this forum realises this I will not rest. Maybe the reason Keegan is so desperate to bring Shearer back as a coach is to teach Smith how to not be useless/to persuade Big Al to come back and play - cannot be worse than Smith. Babayaro had more good games in Toon shirt than this trogladite.

I don't know how you have come to that conclusion. I can barely remember more than a few games where he's looked decent, not even good for us.. Most of the others you mention play in positions where errors are likely to be punished with goals scored against the team. When Smith was played in midfield he has also cost us points. Up front his errors are possibly less costly, but he doesn't benefit our play at all..