Alan Smith

tmonkey

'He tried' is such a myth. He often played the coward's game and hid away from the ball whenever he was on the pitch, only to fly out with a sliding challenge to make himself look involved.

That's quite clearly bollocks - Smith might be a lot of things but a coward he isn't. He put himself about on the pitch in a position he was clearly s**** at...and kept getting picked there.

Yet whenever he was really needed on the ball, he shied away. See WBA last season as an example.

I don't think he shied away, I just think he was crap :lol:

I can see people's point of view I suppose, but he never struck me as a soft, cowardly player. Just fucking pants at the majority of the skills needed to be a good central midfielder, e.g. passing and tackling.

'He tried' is such a myth. He often played the coward's game and hid away from the ball whenever he was on the pitch, only to fly out with a sliding challenge to make himself look involved.

That's quite clearly bollocks - Smith might be a lot of things but a coward he isn't. He put himself about on the pitch in a position he was clearly shite at...and kept getting picked there.

Except it's not bollocks, because Smith would pretty much never be involved with play unless he was throwing himself into a tackle, which far too often resulted in a free kick. I wouldn't be surprised if he covered less distance on average than Kevin Nolan.

Afraid of possession - avoided it at all costs and when he got it did his best to get rid ASAP. Useless in his role and tried to make up for it with dangerous, wreckless and sometimes downright cowardly challenges.

I don't care how eloquently he spoke on 5Live. The bloke is a footballing fraud who'd struggle to get a game at Victoria Park. Fuck him, football is a cynical game and I don't feel the need to make excuses or apologies for him now he's gone.

Afraid of possession - avoided it at all costs and when he got it did his best to get rid ASAP. Useless in his role and tried to make up for it with dangerous, wreckless and sometimes downright cowardly challenges.

I don't care how eloquently he spoke on 5Live. The bloke is a footballing fraud who'd struggle to get a game at Victoria Park. Fuck him, football is a cynical game and I don't feel the need to make excuses or apologies for him now he's gone.

Spot on.

Boom. Nailed it.

Something very appropriate about AFC Wimbledon taking the plucky non-leaguer off us whereas McFranchise took the fraudulent, cap-stealing chancer who somehow conned his way to a lengthy, highly paid top flight career.

Edit: Alreet MKSC.

Guest neesy111

Looks like I'm in a party of two with Alex Ferguson here then :lol:

I see where your coming from.

Fact is there is only 1 man to blame for this transfer:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/07/28/article-0-0A86C269000005DC-229_306x423.jpg

He couldn't tackle to save his life and there is no doubt that some of his attempts at tackling were reckless but he wasn't a coward. He's had some awful injuries and anybody coming back from a leg break like he had deserves credit.

I wish him all the best. He did pretty well for us in the fizzy pop and he was having a good game against the scum when he was on the wrong end of a shocking challenge and had to come off.

If you saw him when he was at Leeds you'd know the lad could play football.

I always thought he was hideously overrated even when he was a striker/winger/whatever at Leeds. Never understood what Fergie saw in him.

He started off quite well at Man Utd iirc, then just faded into obscurity, even before his broken leg.

He had a handful of games where he looked competent at that level (CCC). That was about it. Quickly though I think most got sick of our midfield in general, mainly Butt but certainly Nolan for large spells too.

It became very apparent the need for a defensive midfielder for us in that division was a misnomer. Certainly not a failed striker attempting to fulfill that role. We should have been playing a proper midfield from the off and dominating that division, but it took until January and the Routledge signing before we finally saw it in action. Then we pummelled everybody in sight.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Transfer-gossip-Birmingham-want-Alan-Smith-on-Bosman-when-Newcastle-contract-expires-article859491.html

Birmingham are eyeing Alan Smith on a summer Bosman after failing to get him off MK Dons.

The former Leeds and Manchester United striker has just joined the League One side until the end of the season, when his Newcastle contract runs out.

Blues management duo Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood worked with Smith, now a midfielder, at St James' Park and like his aggressive edge.

But Smith had already given his word to Dons and refused to break his pledge.