Alan Smith

tmonkey

I know there is a lot of hatred for Smith, i struggle at times to understand it. My reasons are quite simple really, i've seen some absolutely dreadful players including Stimson, Bradshaw, Hooper and Appleby.

Permanently injured (it would seem and not always their fault) players like Kristensen, Owen, Luque and Dyer to name a few. And some right overpaid and overated gutless wankbags like Duff, Owen, Carr, Martins and Barton to name a few.

As for Smith, if asked to play he would, he would give his all, never caused trouble and never complained. Now i know that doesn't really amount to much as he was such a crap player, not as bad as some i've seen, but even though i'll be glad to see him go i just dont hate him the way some others do.

All the people I highlighted positively impacted the club for extended periods of time. Smith's presence has been nothing but detrimental. All the "gutless wankbags" were paid similar or less than Smith and managed to be at least decent players for us, yet they are the ones you hate?

Guest Shaun

I hate him because he's a leech who has taken over 16m away from the club in 5 years and done f*ck to pay it back.

I dont mind players like Coloccini getting paid big money because they are paying it back with performances.... Smith is just a leech in for the money and when he could have left to get game time he decided to sit at home and collect his pay cheque.

Like you wouldn't do the same. Give over, man.

I hate him because he's a leech who has taken over 16m away from the club in 5 years and done f*ck to pay it back.

I dont mind players like Coloccini getting paid big money because they are paying it back with performances.... Smith is just a leech in for the money and when he could have left to get game time he decided to sit at home and collect his pay cheque.

Like you wouldn't do the same. Give over, man.

Its different for me because the difference in me getting paid 20k a year to 40k a year is life changing.....

For a football a 20k a week difference in wage hardly changes anything for them, if he truly cared about playing the game he is paid to do then he would have left took a paycut to get consistent gametime.

So no in Smiths position i wouldnt have done the same, because the difference in what we paid him and what he would have been paid by potential suitors is hardly life changing and he could have actually continued his career instead of wasting it on the bench or worse ( the reserves)

Twenty thousands a week is a large amount of money for footballers, man, and just about anyone. They are not international billionaire people. They have 12-15 year careers and live cheque to cheque in a way similar to most people. They aren't wealthy to the point that such large sums of money do not matter.

Twenty thousands a week is a large amount of money for footballers, man, and just about anyone. They are not international billionaire people. They have 12-15 year careers and live cheque to cheque in a way similar to most people. They aren't wealthy to the point that such large sums of money do not matter.

So 40k a week for 15 years isnt enough? jog on  :lol:

Smith could have easily took a paycut and continued his career at a decent level but he is a leech who is only in it for the money and basically gave up on a possibly decent career so he can leech us for 60k every week.

Guest bimpy474

I know there is a lot of hatred for Smith, i struggle at times to understand it. My reasons are quite simple really, i've seen some absolutely dreadful players including Stimson, Bradshaw, Hooper and Appleby.

Permanently injured (it would seem and not always their fault) players like Kristensen, Owen, Luque and Dyer to name a few. And some right overpaid and overated gutless wankbags like Duff, Owen, Carr, Martins and Barton to name a few.

As for Smith, if asked to play he would, he would give his all, never caused trouble and never complained. Now i know that doesn't really amount to much as he was such a crap player, not as bad as some i've seen, but even though i'll be glad to see him go i just dont hate him the way some others do.

All the people I highlighted positively impacted the club for extended periods of time. Smith's presence has been nothing but detrimental. All the "gutless wankbags" were paid similar or less than Smith and managed to be at least decent players for us, yet they are the ones you hate?

Yes i hate those, because as soon as the going got tough they disappeared, Smith didn't and as for being detrimental, find a player, manager or coach who thinks that.

Like i said before i'm glad he is going, he simply isn't good enough and never was but as least he tried, not saying much with his limited ability but he tried all the same.

Guest bimpy474

The club paid him that, not his fault tbf. Also he would have played if picked, so not being picked was again not his fault.

Your point is valid though, why sit on the bench when you could play elsewhere, thats true irrelevent of wages though isn't it ?. I play veterans football and was playing for a team and not getting picked, i left for another as i didn't see the point watching and playing for 5 mins if lucky.

Smith could have easily took a paycut and continued his career at a decent level but he is a leech who is only in it for the money and basically gave up on a possibly decent career so he can leech us for 60k every week.

A 33 percent decrease in income is hard to take for anyone. This should be common sense. It means he will have to spend less (which may be difficult with the many obligations modern athletes may have) and more importantly it means he saves less for the long, long life after football.

Yes i hate those, because as soon as the going got tough they disappeared, Smith didn't and as for being detrimental, find a player, manager or coach who thinks that.

Like i said before i'm glad he is going, he simply isn't good enough and never was but as least he tried, not saying much with his limited ability but he tried all the same.

They left "when the going got tough" because they were acceptable level footballers and other clubs were willing to employ them and pay them. Smith stayed here when things were tough (they weren't for him) because he knew the contract given to him under Allardyce was the last lucrative one he would be signing in football.

The club paid him that, not his fault tbf. Also he would have played if picked, so not bieng picked was again not his fault.

Your point is valid though, why sit on the bench when you could play elsewhere, thats true irrelevent of wages though isn't it ?. I play veterans football and was playing for a team and not getting picked, i left for another as i didn't see the point watching and playing for 5 mins if lucky.

Of course but it just annoys me even more that he showed no passion at all to continue playing and instead not even on the bench for most games and pick up his money.

As i pointed out he would still been paid very well by what ever club took him on but he refused those opportunities.

Why? i can only think it was money-related.

Just annoys me seeing so many people not even wanted by thier clubs and they just sit there and pick up their wages and almost refuse to get regular game time in favour of a superior weekly wage.

Guest bimpy474

There is no way you would take a 40k p/w pay cut to play somewhere else.  :lol:

Never sure of this like, players like Smith must be millionaires times over, if you truly love playing then dropping the money to a still obscence amount cant be too hard to do.

The modern footballer and agents i'm afraid, its no longer about the love of playing but the love of the money.

Guest bimpy474

The club paid him that, not his fault tbf. Also he would have played if picked, so not bieng picked was again not his fault.

Of course but it just annoys me even more that he showed no passion at all to continue playing and instead not even on the bench for most games and pick up his money.

As i pointed out he would still been paid very well by what ever club took him on but he refused those opportunities.

Why? i can only think it was money-related.

Just annoys me seeing so many people not even wanted by thier clubs and they just sit there and pick up their wages and almost refuse to get regular game time in favour of a superior weekly wage.

Totally agree mate, that criticism can be fairly aimed at him, along with not being good enough. (my reply to Shaun for why i think he didn't move for more playing time) ;)

Everyone looks at it so simply like "he could've just moved, took a pay cut, played in a lower league, but play 90 minutes every week" - do you think professional footballers get to where they are in life by saying "ah, oh well, guess I'll play in a league lower than the one I think I am worthy of"?  Of course not. 

I'm sure in his mind at the beginning of every season here that he thought he might have a legitimate shot at the first team and stayed here to try and prove that he's worthy of the Premier League.  Everyone makes it seem like he had some sinister intentions to take money out of the club while having an easy ride but I find that hard to believe.  He probably has spent the last few years trying to prove he's still up to the same level that he thinks he is (regardless of the fact that we don't think he is).

Guest bimpy474

A 33 percent decrease in income is hard to take for anyone. This should be common sense. It means he will have to spend less (which may be difficult with the many obligations modern athletes may have) and more importantly it means he saves less for the long, long life after football.

They left "when the going got tough" because they were acceptable level footballers and other clubs were willing to employ them and pay them. Smith stayed here when things were tough (they weren't for him) because he knew the contract given to him under Allardyce was the last lucrative one he would be signing in football.

You cant know that and neither could he.

Yes Smith didn't leave and the others did because other clubs wanted them, strange as other clubs wanted Colo but being the man he is, he stayed to put things right, as the others should have done. Now maybe that wasn't their fault, transfer offer coming in, being told their wages needed to be off the books, thats all fair enough, but they got their big pay day transfer cuts as well, so they didn't do too bad out it either did they.

Not arguing with you over the fact Smith should have left for first team footy elsewhere, but tbf to him he did play most of the promotion season (ok to middling imo). The main thing everyone does agree on though, he simply isn't very good.

Guest bimpy474

Why did we offer him a coaching role?

Could look like a decent coach.

I think Pardew said recently that he's is a model pro, i just thought he was one to never complain, get drunk, lamp birds or his teammates and Pards wanted that kind of professionalism in the Academy, imo like.

I have never thought him as good in quality as some of those who have pull on the black and white shirt of NUFC but I think many miss the point that there have been worse players. He was paid money that was just ridiculous and he could have left earlier but he he showed commitment and passion playing for us more than some have. Owen was dreadful and worse than Smith in terms of how much playing for Newcastle meant.

Will remember him fondly for what he and the other senior players did after the Leyton Orient disaster. Met him at the club shop once and he is a decent fella. I won't be one who gives him stick anytime he comes back to SJP.

£16m+£5m fee for:

- Aftermath of Leyton Orient friendly

- About 4 or 5 Championship matches

- Arsenal (h) under Fat Sam and Villa (h) under Hughton

- A goal in a friendly

That even makes fucking Waitrose look like good value for money :lol:

Everyone looks at it so simply like "he could've just moved, took a pay cut, played in a lower league, but play 90 minutes every week" - do you think professional footballers get to where they are in life by saying "ah, oh well, guess I'll play in a league lower than the one I think I am worthy of"?  Of course not. 

I'm sure in his mind at the beginning of every season here that he thought he might have a legitimate shot at the first team and stayed here to try and prove that he's worthy of the Premier League.  Everyone makes it seem like he had some sinister intentions to take money out of the club while having an easy ride but I find that hard to believe.  He probably has spent the last few years trying to prove he's still up to the same level that he thinks he is (regardless of the fact that we don't think he is).

Pardew told him he wouldn't be picking him so he's either not wanted by other clubs or he's hanging around for the money. If he cared at all about actually playing he'd have tried to leave a few years ago.

Didn't some coach of a MLS club say that he spoke to him about signing for them but Smith told him  no and that he wants to see his contract out here? I think it was during pre-season on the US tour.

I wish him luck. I believe from what we heard after relegation and the fact he was offered a role at the club even now that he's liked and played a role at the club. It's not his fault he became s***.  Good that he's gone now, but no ill feeling at all.

The only summer people can reasonably say he could have wanted to leave is last summer. What's this about leaving a few years ago?

He arrived first summer.

Played a fair amount in first 2 PL seasons

Next summer we were relegated and he stayed, and was a first team player in the championship.

Next, first season back in the PL having been captain. Started out playing until we signed Tiote.

It's only this last season he's started as clearly not going to be near the first team.

Sky Sports understands MK Dons have opened talks with Alan Smith about a permanent deal at Stadium:mk.

The former Leeds and Manchester United man is out of contract at Newcastle next month and he is expected to move on.

Smith spent the second half of last season with the Dons and made a big impression during his stay at the League One club.

The 31-year-old made 15 appearances and scored two goals as they lost out to Huddersfield in the play-off semi-finals.

Dons boss Karl Robinson is keen to keep Smith on board as he looks to mount another bid for promotion next season.

A number of other clubs are thought to be monitoring Smith's situation as they weigh up a move for the former England international.

I wish him luck. I believe from what we heard after relegation and the fact he was offered a role at the club even now that he's liked and played a role at the club. It's not his fault he became s***.  Good that he's gone now, but no ill feeling at all.

The only summer people can reasonably say he could have wanted to leave is last summer. What's this about leaving a few years ago?

He arrived first summer.

Played a fair amount in first 2 PL seasons

Next summer we were relegated and he stayed, and was a first team player in the championship.

Next, first season back in the PL having been captain. Started out playing until we signed Tiote.

It's only this last season he's started as clearly not going to be near the first team.

He wasn't captain in our season back in the PL. Nolan was.

I'm not surprised he stayed here for so long despite not getting any game time. Why would he leave to get paid considerably less wages? He has to think of his future and he can secure himself and his family for the rest of his life with the money he was picking up here. Would you leave your job to go to another for a lot less money? For us fans it is sickening that the club is hemorrhaging money on the likes of Smith, but you can't blame him for staying really when the alternatives are clubs like MK Dons.