Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

Notice Jussi made another cock up today, to add to this season's list.

He made a brilliant point blank save from Cahill and a couple of other decent stops then lets in one of the softest goals you'll see this season.

So did Czech! let in a soft goal even the best do it.

Jaaskelainen is hugely prone to making serious cock-ups and does so on a number of occasions. Given rarely, (today almost accepted) does. I Still think he could have done better on the goal though, he would have saved it had he not taken a step to the left first.

At the moment all Shay is going is picking the ball out of the net and making the odd simple save, so he isn't really getting the chance to impress like he has done in the past.

Good to see some more reasonable assessments. I agree that Given was POSSIBLY at fault for yesterday's goal but having watched Match of the Day, I would not swap him for ANY other keeper in the Premiership. I can't think of any other keeper who makes as few REAL mistakes as Given.

I said yesterday that Shay is fast becoming a bit of a liability.

He's dreadful on free kicks, has poor distribution that has got no better, is weak on commanding his box which isn't helped as he never opens his mouth and cannot come off his line to any great conviction.

Add to that he's not comfortable that even if he's out the team he'll be straight back in and has stopped saving shots.

Is it any wonder why none of the big clubs who have been desperate for keepers over the last 5 years didn't come in for him.

Unacceptable performance yesterday, but it's uncanny the way these  free-kicks from outside the box are being punished almost every time.

We've conceded from so many, you could put them on to a compilation video.

Not blaming Shay. They've just been great free-kicks that's all.

I don't understand why he felt the need to move towards the side the wall was supposed to be protecting, leaving his side open just enough for him to be beaten. Cracking freekick mind, and the fault was in the mindless foul that gave away the chance.

Shay never drops absolute clangers but he does other things wrong which often lead to goals.

Well apart from the Dion Dublin one

Which must be 6 or 7 years ago.

Over 10, I think.

He stands too far out and he's tiny. :razz:

Never a truer word spoken. Expect him to be away in Jan I reckon, if BS is still here. For the record, he's been a different keeper since his injury

SA must be able to see these things if we can.

Funny how something like this can be so easily dismissed by nearly everyone, yet a few months later, it becomes popular opinion: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=38908.0

Obviously I can sometimes be right, even if it can be very unpopular.

Someone is going to have a go at me now for saying that, but I don't care.

I'll not disappoint you then.

Just because you've always had something against Given and now he may just be showing signs of a downward spiral are unconnected.

Never a truer word spoken. Expect him to be away in Jan I reckon, if BS is still here. For the record, he's been a different keeper since his injury

There is a lot of things that we could say that for mind.

Sams lost the support of the home fans at the Portsmouth game.

He had the away support and Blackburn and Fulham. He has now just lost it away to Wigan now.

He needs to go, as i've said from about the Portsmouth game

Funny how something like this can be so easily dismissed by nearly everyone, yet a few months later, it becomes popular opinion: http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=38908.0

Let's be honest, all you was pointing out was that if Shay kept getting injuries we should sell him. Doesn't take a genius to work that out...

Are you QUITE SURE about that..!!???

oh, i remember the thread.. you were right the whole fucking time, James.. you must be some kind of a prophet.. Shay Given is no-longer the best keeper in the world and we can't settle with that, can we?

you people realize he's only human, right?