The January Deadline Day Thread

Keefaz

Guest Guinness

It's the fans of Villa, Man City and Everton that should be pissed off about the transfer window, not us. Fourth place is there for the taking, and they've done nothing of any note.

Good post. Didnt we do something similar that 1 summer when all we got in was Bowyer on a free. Im sure it was the year finished 4th or 3rd.

Signed Bowyer in the summer, got knocked out of the CL qualifying round by Partizan and ended up 5th.

It's the fans of Villa, Man City and Everton that should be pissed off about the transfer window, not us. Fourth place is there for the taking, and they've done nothing of any note.

Quite true.

Most disappointing window, but on the bright side, City and Everton not having done a great deal will even out the competition a bit. Esp if City can't sign Benjani.

Exactly, if anything it shows that the quality of player avaialable just wasnt good enough.

Guest kingdawson

I think we done ok this transfer window tbh......

In

Woodgate - £7mill

Gunter- £2mil

Gilberto - £1.5 mill

Hutton - £8 mill

Out

Defoe - £9 mill

Routledge - £1.25 mill

Stalteri - Loan

Gardner - Loan

Ifil - 500 k

Barnard - undisclosed

Ghaly- Loan

I guess Gus wasn't messing about after the Villa game :thup:

In

Woodgate - £7mill

Gunter- £2mil

Gilberto - £1.5 mill

Hutton - £8 mill

Out

Defoe - £9 mill

Routledge - £1.25 mill

Stalteri - Loan

Gardner - Loan

Ifil - 500 k

Barnard - undisclosed

Ghaly- Loan

See...I dont know, I would have thought Spurs would strengthen in central defence if anything more than the full back positions. Hasnt that been your main problem lately with injuries to King and Dawson? Then they go out and get you Woody + 3 other fullbacks. Strange one

Guest kingdawson

In

Woodgate - £7mill

Gunter- £2mil

Gilberto - £1.5 mill

Hutton - £8 mill

Out

Defoe - £9 mill

Routledge - £1.25 mill

Stalteri - Loan

Gardner - Loan

Ifil - 500 k

Barnard - undisclosed

Ghaly- Loan

See...I dont know, I would have thought Spurs would strengthen in central defence if anything more than the full back positions. Hasnt that been your main problem lately with injuries to King and Dawson? Then they go out and get you Woody + 3 other fullbacks. Strange one

I think Gilberto will be playing left back only until Bale get's fit again(Probably out for the season though), and then he'll switch to Lm. With Bale out of contention, were looking at Hutton and Chimbonda in contention for the rb spot and lee and Gilberto for the lb, with Gunter able to play both Right and left back.

Centre back position, we are sorted tbh. King, Woodgate, Dawson, Kaboul and Rocha (not to mention Huddlestone can fill in there) should be ok for the rest of the season but we desperatly need a defensive midfielder in the summer.

In

Woodgate - £7mill

Gunter- £2mil

Gilberto - £1.5 mill

Hutton - £8 mill

Out

Defoe - £9 mill

Routledge - £1.25 mill

Stalteri - Loan

Gardner - Loan

Ifil - 500 k

Barnard - undisclosed

Ghaly- Loan

I think Gilberto will be playing left back only until Bale get's fit again(Probably out for the season though), and then he'll switch to Lm. With Bale out of contention, were looking at Hutton and Chimbonda in contention for the rb spot and lee and Gilberto for the lb, with Gunter able to play both Right and left back.

Centre back position, we are sorted tbh. King, Woodgate, Dawson, Kaboul and Rocha (not to mention Huddlestone can fill in there) should be ok for the rest of the season but we desperatly need a defensive midfielder in the summer.

Was hoping for a reply from MJ tbh....you're a bit thick it seems  :smitten: :razz:

:kasper:

:coolsmiley:

Guest kingdawson

In

Woodgate - £7mill

Gunter- £2mil

Gilberto - £1.5 mill

Hutton - £8 mill

Out

Defoe - £9 mill

Routledge - £1.25 mill

Stalteri - Loan

Gardner - Loan

Ifil - 500 k

Barnard - undisclosed

Ghaly- Loan

Was hoping for a reply from MJ tbh....you're a bit thick it seems  :smitten: :razz:

:kasper:

:coolsmiley:

Sorry, thought you wanted my reply seeing as YOU QUOTED ME :doh: :frantic: :clap2: :yikes: :frantic: :angry: :doh: O0

:lol:

I think if we signed another midfielder we would have finished fourth

Now, it's up in the air.

I think if we signed another midfielder we would have finished fourth

Now, it's up in the air.

You didn't help yourselves, that's for sure.

Good post. Didnt we do something similar that 1 summer when all we got in was Bowyer on a free. Im sure it was the year finished 4th or 3rd.

Signed Bowyer in the summer, got knocked out of the CL qualifying round by Partizan and ended up 5th.

Start of the club's decline in 2003..

I think Portsmouth have made a bit of a mistake swapping Benjani for Defoe. The 4-3-3 they play relies on having a big, strong and mobile striker in the centre, like Benjani. Defoe isn't that and I think he'll struggle to fit into the system they play.

Maybe they'll change the system.

I think Portsmouth have made a bit of a mistake swapping Benjani for Defoe. The 4-3-3 they play relies on having a big, strong and mobile striker in the centre, like Benjani. Defoe isn't that and I think he'll struggle to fit into the system they play.

agreed.

btw, anyone how how much the transfer fee was for Defoe? some reports said 10m, some 7m

EDIT: Just found out  it was 9m. Rather have kept Benjani for 2m more

Maybe they'll change the system.

Maybe they will, but I can't really see Defoe and Baros working well together in a 4-4-2. They're both players who like to play off a 'big man'.

Boro almost signed Vagner Love but didn`t qualify for a work permit!

"The truth is we made attempts to sign both Fred and Vagner Love who, like Afonso Alves, are top quality Brazilian international strikers.

"We came very close to doing deals for both of them. We would have loved to have brought both Alves and either Fred or Love here.

"In fact, Love was ready to sign for us even on transfer deadline day but he didn't qualify for a work permit and we just ran out of time before the deadline.

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,1~1231330,00.html