What is the cause of Newcastle's problems?

hakka
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hate to say it but i dont think "you dont know what you are doing" was a low point. I honestly believe that at moment Sam did not know what he was doing and its better to say it than let the rest of the world think we are happy

Its not a case of letting the world know were unhappy, we can do that by not attending or if you need to boo at the final whistle, but to do that during a match when you need everyone pulling together is nothing short of disgraceful from the clowns who did that, not even Souness got that kind of treatment.

The last thing we as a club need is to invite the vulture like media into our nest to pick at our carcass.

it wasn't the singing that hit me, it was the gasps and audible bemusement from the crowd of realising that our manager didn't actually have a clue

It says a lot that I'd written off any chance of anything today at about 2pm when I heard the abysmal team selection.

The sad thing is though Wullie, that was as close to an Allardyce Bolton system as you can get with a big-man upfront and two winger/strikers just off him in a 4-3-3/4-5-1.

What I don't inderstand is why he put Viduka up top if he wanted to play the long ball more often today. Viduka doesn't have the workrate to play that role if he has to fight for long balls and try to hold it up for the team. I thought we had already figured out this much at least, which is why Alan Smith was given this role recently. However, it appears this isn't the case as Sam went back to Viduka as the lone striker and we were terrible.

Baffling.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

Poor team selection and tactics, simple as.

We have a fantastic squad of players, and currently have no injuries bar Ramage. In the past 6 weeks or so, we haven't had a ridiculous amount of first XI players injured unlike under Souness and Roeder constantly.

This is a squad good enough for the top 8, without a shadow of a doubt. Anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid.

Fat Sam's tactics and style of play are totally wrong, and he isn't using the tools at his disposal (i.e. quality football players, not kick and rush carts) effectively.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

Sam's formations and team selections are very "Football Manager"-esque at times I've noticed. Totally bizarre.

No surprise that the CM/FM playing brigade - the same lot that wanted Paul Le Guen as manager - are backing Fat Sam then.

His formations and selections are utterly moronic and a criminal waste of talent.

Shocking that more than half of the people responding don't realize that our players are simply of inferior  quality.  That may be the cause of unrealistic expectations.

I just don't think we have a fantastic group of players in the context of the Premiership.  Who would get in a top 4 side?  Oba maybe? 

Expensive does not equal exceptional. 

Shocking that more than half of the people responding don't realize that our players are simply of inferior  quality.  That may be the cause of unrealistic expectations.

I just don't think we have a fantastic group of players in the context of the Premiership.  Who would get in a top 4 side?  Oba maybe? 

Of course we are miles off top 4 quality but I would have said, most of our players would have been of a quality to interest a top 8/9 side.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

The squad of players is good enough for the Top 8, absolutely no doubt about it. If you think otherwise, you're stupid, no doubt about that either.

I dont agree with the poor signings things, it can be argued that they havent perfomrd consistently but i believe that they all definitely have something good to offer to the team. most of them have been an improvment on the previous squad and probably fit the type of player we are able to sign at this point of time.

I think it comes down to Allardyce at the mo not being able to adapt to a squad which isnt suited to his style, starting with the strikers which i think are the biggest of his problems cause of all the complications

The squad of players is good enough for the Top 8, absolutely no doubt about it. If you think otherwise, you're stupid, no doubt about that either.

I would say that if you look at Everton, I am not sure that they have any stand out players that the top 4 are clamouring for (maybe Arteta and Cahill) but with good sound management are developing into a really excellent, strong team.

Who would have though that Phil Neville would excel away from Man U but Moyes has him playing really well. Lee Carsley isnt going to the next World Cup but look how well he seems to be playing

Our players are good enough that, if managed and played correctly, could attain the levels that Everton are reaching at the minute

I would say that if you look at Everton, I am not sure that they have any stand out players that the top 4 are clamouring for (maybe Arteta and Cahill) but with good sound management are developing into a really excellent, strong team.

Who would have though that Phil Neville would excel away from Man U but Moyes has him playing really well. Lee Carsley isnt going to the next World Cup but look how well he seems to be playing

Our players are good enough that, if managed and played correctly, could attain the levels that Everton are reaching at the minute

I agree that our players should be top 8 standard. The problem appears to be that big sam is not using the players to their strengths and quite a few of them are just not playing as well as we know they should be.

You can see why the 4-3-3 he had worked at Bolton but it is not right for the players he has here. The long balls are completely baffling because who the fuck is going to win them? Whats the point of having a player like Emre in midfield if the backline are not going to pass the ball to midfield?

I think Sam's failure to adapt from his previous tactical method is the main problem so far.

Good enough for the top 8 certainly.  And it is worth pointing out that with half the season gone, we are only 4 pts back of that mark.  But are our players "fantastic"?  I doubt that.  The likes of Pompey, Spurs, Everton, Villa, City etc. wouldn't exactly be falling over themselves to sign most of our lot.  There is hardly a lot of stand out talent in our group, and that is the prime reason behind our dire standard of play. 

I am just getting a bit tired of people flattering the abilities of our players.  When Emre was playing regularly with Scott Parker, he did not set the league on fire.  But when Sam drops him, opinion swings back in his favour.  If you are waiting for another manager to step in, tell them all to stand in different places and then watch as they suddenly rediscover how to pass a ball and show some ability and intelligence on the field, then don't hold your breath.

4 or 5 years go, we had a relatively much stronger squad than the rest of the Premiership.  Today, that is no longer true.  This myth about Everton being a plucky, organized group of average players is garbage.  They have better players than we do in many positions.  That is why they are more successful.

where's the "gypsy curse" option ?

I'm going with this option. I believe that as a club, Newcastle United are eternally cursed. Class or good players who come here either get injured(Owen, Duff, Viduka) or become shit(Capaca, Emre, Barton). Why don't the crapass players ever get injured?

I'm going with this option. I believe that as a club, Newcastle United are eternally cursed. Class or good players who come here either get injured(Owen, Duff, Viduka) or become s***(Capaca, Emre, Barton). Why don't the crapass players ever get injured?

Where does Ramage fit in?

I'm going with this option. I believe that as a club, Newcastle United are eternally cursed. Class or good players who come here either get injured(Owen, Duff, Viduka) or become s***(Capaca, Emre, Barton). Why don't the crapass players ever get injured?

Where does Ramage fit in?

Under the 'crapass players that never get injured'? bwahahaha...

Poor signings.

Poor previous fitness regime.

Poor tactics, or lack of.

Poor formations.

Poor team selections.

Lack of consistency.

Players out of position.

No leadership.

Poor Captain.

Favouritism of certain players.

Form of our senior players.

Team spirit.

Mouthy individuals who'll bite the hand that feeds them rather than admit they are s****.

Poor backroom staff.

Lack of coaches.

Lack of backing in the summer window from a billionaire owner.

Stubborn manager.

One dimensional manager.

Hard to like manager and players.

Unhappy fans.

Sometimes idiotic fans ('the don't know what you are doing' being a disgraceful moment in our history)

Lack of pace.

Lack of creativity in midfield.

Selling players and not replacing them.

Lack of back-up in key positions.

Lack of quality in other positions.

Noose like players we cannot get rid of.

All of these are correct - many could be corrected by a managerial(and coaching) change, but not before the summer.....

No way would Martins get in a top 4 side. Given maybe.

Our main problem is that Allardyce is trying to make us too much like Bolton, because "his Bolton team were successful", "his Bolton team finished higher than Newcastle", "his Bolton team defended well".

Well like I said yesterday, we aren't Bolton so Sam should stop trying to make us like Bolton because it's worked for him in the past. It's about what's best for the team, not what's best for him. That is why he's failed, we aren't a 4-3-3, fight for your life team, and we never will be.