Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

was mort on board when barton's contract was negotiated?

if so, him being a lawyer and all, you'd think he'd have had the foresight to consider this happening from the outset.

Mort is a lawyer but he has nothing to do with either criminal law or employment law.

This is what ACAS have to say on this matter.

If an employee is charged with, or convicted of, a criminal offence not related to work, this is not in itself reason for disciplinary action.  The employer should establish the facts of the case and consider whether the matter is serious enough to warrant starting the disciplinary procedure.  The main consideration should be whether the offence, or alleged offence, is one that makes the employee unsuitable for their type of work.  Similarly, an employee should not be dismissed solely because they are absent from work as a result of being remanded in custody.

We knew about the alleged offence so we wouldn't have a leg to stand on if we sacked him unless he'd signed something in his contract to say that he hadn't committed the offence.

He must have said he didnt do it and we believed him. Surely on the basis he lied to us (if he did) we could sack him.

If he's lied then we can sack him but it would have to be documented as it would be the word of him against the club if we have no other proof.

It's strange that he would change his plea so late on but kind of understand it must have been a difficult decision to make. He probably thought that due to his previous that it would be to hard a case to fight to prove his innocence. The evidence, eye witness accounts must have been stacked up against him.

He may have got involved in some plea bargaining reducing the term he's getting, which undoubtably he'll get and like mentioned above may have got some concessions to allow the term to run concurrently with the 6 months he's already on.

Also another factor he and his advisors will have factored in is his potential employment post jail term. Having a long drawn out case, dragging dirty laundry in public may have further damaged his re-employment prospects, especially if found guilty in the end.

I believe the club have been waiting for the outcome of the trial, we don't know the details of his contract but I doubt we are too protected against the Dabo verdict, although if we don't have something in there to act on the case he's currently serving time for then our legal team want shooting.

I expect a sacking with a legal suit to try to recover lost revenue should someone else take a punt on him. The club clearly has to do something, they won't be able to sweep this whole thing under the carpet.

It's strange that he would change his plea so late on but kind of understand it must have been a difficult decision to make. He probably thought that due to his previous that it would be to hard a case to fight to prove his innocence. The evidence, eye witness accounts must have been stacked up against him.

He may have got involved in some plea bargaining reducing the term he's getting, which undoubtably he'll get and like mentioned above may have got some concessions to allow the term to run concurrently with the 6 months he's already on.

Also another factor he and his advisors will have factored in is his potential employment post jail term. Having a long drawn out case, dragging dirty laundry in public may have further damaged his re-employment prospects, especially if found guilty in the end.

I believe the club have been waiting for the outcome of the trial, we don't know the details of his contract but I doubt we are too protected against the Dabo verdict, although if we don't have something in there to act on the case he's currently serving time for then our legal team want shooting.

I expect a sacking with a legal suit to try to recover lost revenue should someone else take a punt on him. The club clearly has to do something, they won't be able to sweep this whole thing under the carpet.

It's not at all. As Wull said earlier he waited to see who turned up to testify against him and then when they all did, he pleaded guilty to get better odds of a reduced sentenced.

Happens all the time.

SSN said that he will get a suspended sentence and is already up on parole for the other offence

Back for pre-season then!!!  Our legal system does not make sense - why give a person 6 months and let them out on parole after 1 month - are our prisons that full?

SSN said that he will get a suspended sentence and is already up on parole for the other offence

Back for pre-season then!!!  Our legal system does not make sense - why give a person 6 months and let them out on parole after 1 month - are our prisons that full?

As long as he's ahead on his mailbags stitched he's eligable for parole

I can understand Ashley being annoyed, but if there's nothing in Barton's contract which empowers the club to cut his wages or sack him then that's the end of it.

Life's unfair. Deal with it.

I can understand Ashley being annoyed, but if there's nothing in Barton's contract which empowers the club to cut his wages or sack him then that's the end of it.

I suppose he's only in breach of contract if he either can't or doesn't turn up on day 1 of pre season.

Like I said I doubt there's anything there to protect us against the Dabo trial, as that was already due to take place when we signed him, his lawyers surely wouldn't have been stupid enough to pop a condition in there to say that should he go down Newcastle can terminate the contract with no penanlty and he'll be liable.

However I'm sure he would have signed on a good faith basis that his behaviour has improved, under the promise that he'll not drag the club's name through the dirt and any subsequent court appearance and jail terms will leave him in breach of contract and give us the option to terminate and recover costs. If we haven't got that in there, then Mort especially being a lawyer himself wants his head examined.

If it is true and he is out of jail already that is a travesty of justice and makes a mockery of this countries, already poor, justice system. 

If he is only given a suspended sentence for causing actual bodily harm to Dabo then, that again, makes the whole thing a farce.  Whatever Keegan, Ashley or anyone has to say about him I personally, as a paying season ticket holder and lifelong supporter of NUFC, would far rather never see him play in Black & White again.  Embarrassed!!!

Like I said I doubt there's anything there to protect us against the Dabo trial, as that was already due to take place when we signed him, his lawyers surely wouldn't have been stupid enough to pop a condition in there to say that should he go down Newcastle can terminate the contract with no penanlty and he'll be liable.

However I'm sure he would have signed on a good faith basis that his behaviour has improved, under the promise that he'll not drag the club's name through the dirt and any subsequent court appearance and jail terms will leave him in breach of contract and give us the option to terminate and recover costs. If we haven't got that in there, then Mort especially being a lawyer himself wants his head examined.

Shepherd was the one signing players when Barton was signed iirc.

If it is true and he is out of jail already that is a travesty of justice and makes a mockery of this countries, already poor, justice system. 

If he is only given a suspended sentence for causing actual bodily harm to Dabo then, that again, makes the whole thing a farce.  Whatever Keegan, Ashley or anyone has to say about him I personally, as a paying season ticket holder and lifelong supporter of NUFC, would far rather never see him play in Black & White again.  Embarrassed!!!

TBH, I don't think the problem is the Judicial system more the infrastructure that backs it up. The lack of space in jails forces judges hands to place unduely lient senteces.

Build more jails is the simple solution, but with lands prices in the UK that's bloody expensive and I would imagine a lot of people resist having a new jail pop up within their community. Personally I would be all for building one on a remote island off Scotland but all the civil liberties groups will complain because the families can't visit their axe murdering paedo relatives.

OK I wasn't sure on dates and stuff so did a little research on the ever unreliable Wiki:

Ashley bought SJH's shares on 23 May.

Confirmation that he was to buy FS out on 7 June.

Barton signed on 14 June.

Shep may still have been the chairman but I find it hard to believe that anyone other than Ashley (with Mort advising) would not have had the final say on the deal going through (which obviously mean't looking at the contract), this was his first purchase and an extremely controversial one at that. Anyway it doesn't really matter as whomever was in charge, to not protect us would be completely mad, considering Barton's history.

What about the Rugby League player that has just got 200 hours community service for breaking a bus drivers jaw.

The judicial system is not perfect, but I also think Barton received a much harsher sentance for the incident in Liverpool than other (non celebrity) people would have.

The guys a psycho. Why the hell did we sign him again?

I can't believe the transfer ever got sanctioned being that the court case was hanging over him. I really can't believe the club didn't put a clause in his contract regarding the very real possibility that he would go to prison for what he had done.

Surely he could be sacked for the assaults he committed in Liverpool if not the training ground fight. If getting arrested and sent to prison for assault isn't classed as gross misconduct I don't know what is.

So glad we paid him his Man City £300K 'loyalty bonus'.

OK I wasn't sure on dates and stuff so did a little research on the ever unreliable Wiki:

Ashley bought SJH's shares on 23 May.

Confirmation that he was to buy FS out on 7 June.

Barton signed on 14 June.

Shep may still have been the chairman but I find it hard to believe that anyone other than Ashley (with Mort advising) would not have had the final say on the deal going through (which obviously mean't looking at the contract), this was his first purchase and an extremely controversial one at that. Anyway it doesn't really matter as whomever was in charge, to not protect us would be completely mad, considering Barton's history.

Barton signing was confirmed on the date you mentioned. However, all terms were agreed weeks before, but Barton was messing around over a £300,000 bonus he was owed by Manchester City.