Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

I thought Beye, Caçapa and N'Zogbia were all good. Faye in particular though, was excellent - strong in the tackle, powerful in the air and has a more ambitious passing range than Butt or Smith in that role - i'm just not sure wether Taylor is good enough at the back for him to play there permanently.

Faye was our best player I thought. The kind of midfielder we've needed for ages. It's just a shame that we really need him in defence too AND that he's going to the ACN.

We lost ourselves that game by doing what we always do, grab a goal then sit back and try to defend it. Reading, Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City. And what do all those away games have in common? We had a lead/result and ended up having lost all of them.

We aren't a good enough side to sit on a result, especially at Chelsea. Offside or not, the goal was inevitable - I was actually waiting for it to happen.

You were waiting for Chelsea to score a goal that was 5 yards offside?  Give over, man, any other team would have done the same. 

I was waiting for Chelsea to score.

I thought Beye, Caçapa and N'Zogbia were all good. Faye in particular though, was excellent - strong in the tackle, powerful in the air and has a more ambitious passing range than Butt or Smith in that role - i'm just not sure wether Taylor is good enough at the back for him to play there permanently.

Faye was our best player I thought. The kind of midfielder we've needed for ages. It's just a shame that we really need him in defence too AND that he's going to the ACN.

Yeah, a clone of Faye would be class.

:lol:

Honestly even if we play Enrique he will still be raped by SWP.

Faye should be our defensive midfielder from now on. He shows that he is capable to bring the ball forward by some neat short passes.

Have to say, I thought Faye was exceptional. Height and power in the midfield, something we've been crying out for a long time now. He was absolutely paggered by the 75th minute and looked knackered twice, but still managed to finish the game.

He was quality. Bolton fans often said he was their best midfielder as well as their best defender, which is a predicament for us too (not saying he's our best midfielder btw, but he clearly offers a lot there).

Cacapa was quality again, but Taylor is still too error-prone.

Guest Geordiesned

Offside winner but we invited it on with Big Sam's negative tactics yet again. We sat far too deep in the last 10 minutes and a Chelsea winner was inevitable.

I'm actually angry at the fact that it took Allardyce THAT long to realise that Zoggy is an LW.

Ironically he did f*** all when he become a LW.

It was when Martins was taken off and our wonderous manager ridiculously decided to play for a draw, actually.

Owen was a positive move. Martins was poor.

We didn't lose because of that move.

Martins was at least worrying Chelsea, they knew they couldn't really push on and go at us for fear of leaving him room to run into.

Bringing Owen into a game like this was about the most stupid thing Sam could have done, for reasons Rich has explained already so I won't revisit them.

And if he bagged the winner?

All hail the tactical masterstroke.

Is that what your argument has been reduced to? f*** me. :lol:

no suprise, some of his posts during the game included "MARTINNNSSS...playing fifa" and "hope he gets shot for real next time". the decline and fall of HTT has reached its final nadir and the dark ages are upon us.  :crazy2:

What's he supposed to do when he gets to the Crusades?  If the team's performance hasn't improved by then they might be visited in the night by HTT wearing a white cross of St George on his chest and a mace in his hand.

when mike riley is the refree, you can bet your moms tit on that the game is going to have some shit decisions in it. Alot in fact. Shocking.

Good display by the lads, Good Effort. Deserved a better ref than Riley.

We lost ourselves that game by doing what we always do, grab a goal then sit back and try to defend it. Reading, Blackburn, Chelsea, Man City. And what do all those away games have in common? We had a lead/result and ended up having lost all of them.

We aren't a good enough side to sit on a result, especially at Chelsea. Offside or not, the goal was inevitable - I was actually waiting for it to happen.

You were waiting for Chelsea to score a goal that was 5 yards offside?  Give over, man, any other team would have done the same. 

yeah, chelsea were extremely lucky to get their goal, but there was a period of time, around the 60 minute mark, where chelsea looked a mess.  Bring on Owen/Viduka and Emre and go out their and be proactive, get at them.  Yeah, there goal was fortunate, but thats what happens when we fail to go out and try and win the game.

Were you actually watching the game? Just for the record, I would reckon that the possession after we scored until the last 10 minutes must have been 70 30. To us. There was only one team that looked like winning the game for most of the second half.

No I wasn't, and I'm aware we controlled most of the second half. But we slowed it down, tried to pass it around, had very few notable chances then took the foot off the brake, made defensive changes (i.e. not looking for the win - Roz for Smith, Owen for Martins rather than possible Owen for Smith or Viduka for Smith) and Chelsea took over again. From then on we were lost as per.

Faye and Beye are going to be fantastic for us, Cacapa will settle more ans show his quality on a more regular basis once he does settle, Taylor still scares the shite out of me at times, Roze is okay but we need a LB and one more class CB and we are sorted a the back.

Zoggy was great today, very hard to get forward and have a go from left back when your up against SWP, yes he got caught out of position a good few times butt he cannot do both jobs well when he is not a fullback, I would however like to see him get a shot at being out central creative midfielder, with Duff wide elft Milner wide right.

Yeah, a clone of Faye would be class.

Which is why I was hoping we'd sign Edmilson. Tall, lanky, suprisingly quick to the ball, defensively strong player who is comfortable in midfield - having two of them is alot better than one.

yeah, chelsea were extremely lucky to get their goal, but there was a period of time, around the 60 minute mark, where chelsea looked a mess.  Bring on Owen/Viduka and Emre and go out their and be proactive, get at them.  Yeah, there goal was fortunate, but thats what happens when we fail to go out and try and win the game.

Indeed.

Guest Geordiesned

Offside winner but we invited it on with Big Sam's negative tactics yet again. We sat far too deep in the last 10 minutes and a Chelsea winner was inevitable.

FFS, that's not tactics it's just what players do.

So Rozenhal for Smith isn't tactics is it not?? Have a word with yourself FFS!

We played well with a spirited and battling performance against a Chelsea side dangerous on the break. Obviously the second goal should not have stood and once you see it on MoTD tonight it will further infuriate you. My ratings:

Given - tested on a few occasions and made numerous good saves - 7

Beye - made a few forward runs and a few defensive clearances. - 6

Taylor - looked our worst defender and was caught out a few times. At fault for the first goal. - 5

Cacapa - was composed and excellent at breaking down Chelsea's attack. Offered excellent cover and able to read the game well. - 8

N'Zogbia - did well and was at the heart at some of our best attacks. Defensively is not the best, but Cacapa helped him out. - 7

Smith - rarely involved in the game - 5 (Rozehnal - looked better at the back - 5.5)

Faye - looked impressive at DM and an eye for a through ball. - 8

Butt - played well and broke up Chelsea's attacks efficiently - 6.5

Duff - did well when involved and looks better than last season - 6 (Viduka - n/a)

Martins - a few chances, but lacked composure. Improved performance after the half time - 6 (Owen - never really threatened - 5.5)

FFS, that's not tactics it's just what players do.

We'd not much other option though once we brought Martins off and lost all semblence of pace up front.

So it sounds like when Roz and Owen came on, we tried to shut up shop (again), play for the draw (again) and got punished (again), albeit in a controversial manner. I'd have much more time for Allardyce if he showed he was learning from these things.

Why does it takle the pressure being on for us to give a damn and play well?

Look when we scraped a couple of wins and the pressure was off him we reverted back to the fucking can't be arsed mode!  Football needs to bring in performance related pay to stick a rocket up there arse!

Honestly even if we play Enrique he will still be raped by SWP.

Faye should be our defensive midfielder from now on. He shows that he is capable to bring the ball forward by some neat short passes.

Have to say, I thought Faye was exceptional. Height and power in the midfield, something we've been crying out for a long time now. He was absolutely paggered by the 75th minute and looked knackered twice, but still managed to finish the game.

He was quality. Bolton fans often said he was their best midfielder as well as their best defender, which is a predicament for us too (not saying he's our best midfielder btw, but he clearly offers a lot there).

Cacapa was quality again, but Taylor is still too error-prone.

How can you say that when Cacapa let his marker slowly walk around him and score?