Owen to be replaced by Agbonlahor

KaKa

For England  :razz:

Looks like the new England manager will be brave enough to usher in a new era.

No more free rides for the big name charlies. Owen looks like he will be the first to get burned.

Gab’s just Fab - Agbonlahor is the shock name to get Capello call

EXCLUSIVE By NEIL ASHTON

Last updated at 23:32pm on 31st December 2007

Gabriel Agbonlahor has caught the eye of new England manager Fabio Capello and the electrifying Aston Villa forward is set to be fast-tracked into the senior squad next month. Agbonlahor, 21, joint leading English goalscorer in the Barclays Premier League, will get his chance as a signal of the Italian's new-look England regime.

With a friendly against Switzerland at Wembley on February 6, Capello is taking his first tentative steps in the job and has been impressed by Agbonlahor's speed and dynamism.

The celebrated coach has been watching videos of Barclays Premier League matches as he prepares to take over the national side, and was particularly enthused by the youngster's performance against Wigan last Saturday, which followed a vibrant display in the 4-4 draw at Chelsea on Boxing Day.

In the 2-1 win at Wigan, the Villa striker scored for the seventh time this season and Capello believes that his encouraging club partnership with John Carew could be mirrored alongside Wayne Rooney at international level.

Capello has already identified Agbonlahor's pace as one of his biggest assets and will continue to monitor his progress over the next month before making a final decision. The Italian wants to build a team around 'the three personalities' — skipper John Terry, Steven Gerrard and Rooney — but there will be no guarantees of a place.

Michael Owen's season, for instance, has been plagued by injury and Capello is casting the net wide to look for alternatives as he prepares for his first month in charge of England.

Capello is not happy just to qualify for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa — he wants to win it. That has convinced him to look at England's long-term future.

Owen returned to the Newcastle team as a substitute in the 2-1 defeat at Chelsea last weekend after spending six weeks on the sidelines with a thigh injury.

The striker injured his thigh during England's 1-0 victory over Austria last November, forcing him to miss England's disastrous 3-2 defeat against Croatia in their final Euro 2008 qualifier at Wembley.

Although Owen has an enviable goalscoring record at international level — 40 goals in 88 games — Capello is keen to examine his options. He is less than satisfied with the competition for places in attack and is looking beyond the obvious alternatives — Everton's Andy Johnson and Spurs duo Darren Bent and Jermain Defoe.

Although Capello does not officially begin his job until Monday, he has told the FA he will be in London on Friday to start. His first game as England coach may be Villa's FA Cup third-round clash with Manchester United on Saturday evening.

Although Capello has been made aware of Agbonlahor's indiscretions last summer — he went AWOL ahead of the European Under 21 finals in Holland — the forward has already left an impression on the Italian and could enhance that tonight at Villa Park, when he may come up against a Tottenham side featuring Bent and Defoe.

Agbonlahor plays on the right of midfield for Stuart Pearce's Under 21s, but has blossomed in his role alongside Carew in recent weeks.

Last season, he attracted interest from Chelsea following an exceptional display at Stamford Bridge and that interest, despite the change of manager to Avram Grant, is still alive.

But Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has no intention of allowing one of the country's finest talents to leave, believing it is only a matter of time before Agbonlahor receives senior England recognition.

Capello has also been impressed with Blackburn winger David Bentley. The former Real Madrid, Juventus, Milan and Roma coach has been watching live Premier League games in the build-up to his arrival and has been sent DVDs of the leading players available to him.

Watching from his Marbella holiday home he saw Bentley terrorise Derby County on Sunday and the gifted midfielder can also expect to be a big part of Capello's plans.

Bentley, who has also been forgiven for missing last summer's Under 21 tournament, is in top form and will push David Beckham for his place in the team next month.

It had been exected that Capello would name a large squad for his first game, but it is understood he believes that naming a smaller one may actually create competition for places.

That is precisely what England need after their disastrous qualification campaign under Steve McClaren, although Capello is no closer to finding a goalkeeper.

He had been impressed with Paul Robinson's transformation under Juande Ramos at Tottenham, but there are reservations again after his performance in the north London derby against Arsenal and the 6-4 victory over Reading on Saturday.

Capello's first instinct had been to promote West Ham's Robert Green, but his recent errors against Tottenham and Everton prompted a rethink.

Green still has an excellent chance of being included in Capello's first squad — which will be announced on February 1 — but Villa's Scott Carson and David James of Portsmouth are the predictable alternatives.

Despite spending the holiday period in Marbella with his family, Capello is fulfilling his promise to learn English inside a month.

The Italian spends four hours a day with a language tutor and those close to him claim that he is improving with each day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=505459&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

This to me is the advantage of having a foreign manager.

Could you imagine an English manager coming in and having the guts to drop someone like Owen for Agbonlahor? It would be so much more difficult in my opinion.

Agbonlahor is much improved, been impressive so far this year.

He played all of last season out of position and still managed 10 goals. He's very promising indeed, but I don't think he is ready for international football yet.

This to me is the advantage of having a foreign manager.

Could you imagine an English manager coming in and having the guts to drop someone like Owen for Agbonlahor? It would be so much more difficult in my opinion.

Agree, it's quite exciting. :celb: Hopefully he drops SWP and brings in Darevid Bentleh

He played all of last season out of position and still managed 10 goals. He's very promising indeed, but I don't think he is ready for international football yet.

I can't see Capello simply dismissing the likes of Owen altogether tbh. Think this probably just means Agbonlahor will get a call up and a run-out.

I went to school with the guy, knew his older brother better... lives football, always out playing it when not in class (that was rare anyway) - but on a negative, he has much to learn about the game and just relies on his pace. His first touch isn't too bad but he is certainly a prospect for the future, not now though!!

I went to school with the guy, knew his older brother better... lives football, always out playing it when not in class (that was rare anyway) - but on a negative, he has much to learn about the game and just relies on his pace. His first touch isn't too bad but he is certainly a prospect for the future, not now though!!

I used to think that until this season.

Google for a clip of his goal against Everton this season where he plucked the ball out of the air from a 70 yard punt as if it had travelled a few inches, and with one flick swept it past the keeper. A truly majestic goal. Try also his goal against Sheffield United last season, which was a stormer.

He's also pretty good with his head (Wigan this week, Blueshite last month), tracks back like it is going out of fashion (which I suspect is the real reason MON loves him) and never stops running.

I'm actually struggling to think of a goal this season in which he relied on his pace.

Guest iliketoonarmy

relied only on his pace?Do you watch the same Agbonlahor? =.=''

I've gotta be honest, that comment was purely a quote from a mate of mine who is an avid Villa fan and goes to all home games and a lot away. I've just gotta trust his judgment especially when it wasn't just constant praise which is what I normally get from him. But I do recall those goals and he has done well this season. Like I said his first touch isn't bad, but is it consistent?

Being too modest about the lad there, Brummie - he's a very good young player with pace & skill, so deserves his chance ; one of the best prospects in English Football in my opinion..

Only one problem - there are some on this site who would STILL want to keep Martins even if Villa offered us Agbonhalor in exchange....unbelievable as I know it sounds(don't suppose you WOULD like a swap, Brummie...!!??).

If Owen is the player singled out to be left out of the England team then I'd be extremely suprised.  He's had his problems, but when fit he's been one of Englands better players.  I mean common, Lampard is a no brainer as the first player that should be thrown out and never get near the side ever again.

I used to think that until this season.

Google for a clip of his goal against Everton this season where he plucked the ball out of the air from a 70 yard punt as if it had travelled a few inches, and with one flick swept it past the keeper. A truly majestic goal. Try also his goal against Sheffield United last season, which was a stormer.

He's also pretty good with his head (Wigan this week, Blueshite last month), tracks back like it is going out of fashion (which I suspect is the real reason MON loves him) and never stops running.

I'm actually struggling to think of a goal this season in which he relied on his pace.

There are goals that Martins has scored where his first touch looks brilliant, but I see it as the law of averages. Every now and then, no matter how bad your touch, the ball is going to fall where you wanted it.

I think Agbonlahor has a lot more skill on the ball than Martins, but from what I've seen his asset is pace rather than skill. That sort of player tends to get found out at the very top level. Far worse players have played for England, but I'm not convinced he has a long international career ahead of him.

The player I would like to see partnered with Rooney is Dean Ashton. He's slow, but he manages to create things from very unpromising situations where his space is very restricted. That's the sort of player you need at England level. Confident, able to take responsibility and good in the air as well.

David James should probably give it up. He has had his chance and will be virtually 40 by 2010 World Cup.

He said the other day that Italy won the world cup with a 40 year old Dino Zoff so......

PS. Johnson/Hart/etc for England.

PPS. Seriously tho. Bentley should walk into the England side. If Beckham ever gets picked ahead of him i'm supporting the Solomon Islands. Agbonlahor is no world beater but he's a better bet than Crouch/Defoe/Usual Suspects at the mo. I'm not sure he's the long term solution, he doesn't have the look of someone who will be in the side for years to come like Rooney did, never know who is round the corner that will step up. James Vaughan maybe...one of Andy Gray's ones to watch in 08...or that Vassell chap. :cheesy:

Agbonlahor is not replacing Owen he is replacing those fringe strikers like defoe/johnson/bent who are clearly not international strikers.

The focus of any article about players breaking into england team should be david bentley - how that guy is not in the starting eleven i dont know. Control, crossing, shooting, passing, creativity, vision, two footed. Does anybody know any weaknesses in his game?? He is one of my favourite players in the league and i would love to see a player like him at newcastle.

If Owen is the player singled out to be left out of the England team then I'd be extremely suprised.  He's had his problems, but when fit he's been one of Englands better players.  I mean common, Lampard is a no brainer as the first player that should be thrown out and never get near the side ever again.

this - owen actually performs in big international games when he's fit...would be extremely harsh to drop him out of the picture altogether as there's no-one about with near the same ability/exerience ratio

as for the rest i think it'd be a great, great move by capello - drop terry, lampard, gerrard right out of the first squad and tell them to earn their places back

lets face it, we'd lose nothing ON the pitch except 3 enormous egos

Anyone reckon its only a matter of time until a 'Big 4' team come in and take Agbonlahor?

No. Anyway, within two or three years, it will be the big five, and we'll be the fifth. I know it is true, we've got a five year plan and everything ;)

Do him no harm to be dropped, may be a wake up call for him but I get the feeling we would sell him in a heart beat too.

Big Sam doing his "no offers for Owen yet" speech, I think if a decent enough offer is and we would take i5t the main problem would be the clubs Owen would consider joining. ..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3014343,00.html

Sam Allardyce has once again reiterated that Newcastle have received no offers as yet for Michael Owen.

It seems that each time the transfer window opens there is speculation that the England striker will be on his way out of St James' Park, but the Magpies boss has once again been quick to play down the rumours.

Owen made his latest return from injury in the 2-1 defeat at Chelsea on Saturday, coming off the bench after six weeks out with a thigh injury.

Allardyce is understandably keen to keep hold of his biggest asset, and has dismissed recent speculation that the striker may be about to join up with former national team coach Sven-Goran Eriksson at Manchester City.

No offers

"I will be seeing Sven-Goran Eriksson on Wednesday and that will be the first contact I have had with him since we played down there. There has been nothing from City to Newcastle about Michael," he said.

"We have no offers from anyone so it's a no at the moment."

"Unless someone tells me they don't want to stay, then that is a different scenario and we'll take it from there."

Guest Knightrider

What impresses me about him his how he uses the channels and isn't too bad in the air either. Technically he has a lot to work on and his finishing needs rounded off too but he's a very promising player who can only get better.