Dave Kitson - FA Cup Does Not Matter

Karjala

FA Cup does not matter - Kitson 

Kitson has placed more importance on the league

Reading striker Dave Kitson said he is not interested whether his team make any progress in the FA Cup.

The Royals play Tottenham in the third round having lost 6-4 to the same team last Saturday.

"We are not going to win the FA Cup and I do not care less about it, to be honest," said the 27-year-old.

"I care about staying in the Premier League, as does everybody at this club. Our league status is not protected by winning the FA Cup - simple as that."

Kitson believes his team-mates need a break from football following a busy December.

"We have just come off the back of some fixtures that have been tightly packed together and we have played almost two full games with 10 men," he added, referring to the matches against West Ham and Portsmouth.

"I am absolutely shattered and so is Kevin Doyle and a lot of the other players are as well."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/7168675.stm

Shame he says he doesn't care, i reckon he does. But, he's right to be honest, and how many teams do genuinely have a chance of winning the FA Cup?

Last time a non 'big 4' won it was Everton in 1995, and I don't see that changing this year.

Football is a business to everyone but the fans.

Therefore everyone but the fans places Premiership survival/promotion way higher up on the priority list than any cup; the only caveat being the Champions League of course.

Tbh, I'd rather we focussed on climbing the league than going all out in the FA Cup.

Ideally I'd take a high league finish and a cup win, but here are some boring stats to bore you with (but show alot).  (In my lifetime)

1998 - FA cup finalists

13th in the PL

1999- FA cup finalists

13th in PL

2000 - FA cup semi-finalists

11th in PL

2005 - FA cup semi-finalists

14th in PL

When we've had a good cup run, our league position has been mediocre to say the least.  Its shown you need to be a good team to win the FA cup, and capable of beating the fucking "big 4".  If you can beat the fucking "big 4" then you should be near the top of the table.

A good cup run this year will only end in heartbreak.  We're not going to win it.  I'd rather we try and make steps forward in one way or another, establish ourselves as top 4 contenders like Man City, then have a good crack at the cup.

I bet if you asked any Reading fan they would take relegation if it meant winning the cup.

I probably would too altho its not exactly on the cards atm.

Cant buy memories like that, treading water in the bottom half of the league for 4 years is absolutely nowt in comparison.

I bet if you asked any Reading fan they would take relegation if it meant winning the cup.

I probably would too altho its not exactly on the cards atm.

Cant buy memories like that, treading water in the bottom half of the league for 4 years is absolutely nowt in comparison.

glory, aye.

Financial benefit of winning the cup < Financial benefit of PL TV rights

Reading have a very different attitude from other Premiership clubs, and they have since they came into the league.  Even when they were doing well, finishing in the top 10 in their first year, Europe was not a priority, because they knew they'd pull a West Ham and end up in a relegation fight with that distraction. 

FA Cup does not matter - Kitson 

"I care about staying in the Premier League, as does everybody at this club. Our league status is not protected by winning the FA Cup - simple as that."

Interesting idea - there's been talk of increasing the reward for winning the Cup from a UEFA Cup spot to a place in the CL. How's about guaranteeing a team's place in the league (if needed, it's traded for the CL spot)? That could lead to some exciting days.

What would people prefer us to aim for? Most would agree we aint gonna win the cup, but again most would agree we aint gonna finish in Europe.

If we get past Stoke on Sunday, would people prefer we concentrated on a cup run, or the league? (main issue would be resting players)

For the media, they want 'the romance of the fa cup' to happen in giant killings or shocks, but ultimately i reckon they want 'the big 4' in the semi's and final.

I would fucking love to see Everton, Villa or Man City win it this year! Obviously I would love us to win it more, but realistically think those have a better chance. (recognise Villa have a tough start mind)

TBH i think he's right, a team like Reading etc i think they need to concentrate on Survival and league climbing

Agreed. If Reading get relegated they might never get back in the top flight again

They're never going to win it. There's no chance of their £5m 16 man squad competing with the top 4's £300m 30 man squads, plus another 10 clubs spending £20m every transfer window.

Personally, I'd love a cup run this year. There's not going to be much else to cheer.

Yeah thats what I'm thinking - we ain't gonna get relegated, and we aint gonna win the cup, but it would be nice to get especially excited about 3 or 4 games.

Guest MaetihS

TBH i think he's right, a team like Reading etc i think they need to concentrate on Survival and league climbing

sad to say, just like us.

I'd love to see us win the cup - 50 years and counting.

However, I also think we're as good as out already given our predictable draw (yet a-fucking-gain) and our dreadful record against them.

My seat for tomorrow would have cost me 35 quid, so fuck it, I'm not going. Apparently, the club wanted to set the prices low, but they have to be agreed with the other club. Man United insisted on top whack, so 35 quid it is, and it almost certainly won't sell out. That's the romance of the cup fucked up the wrong 'un by tv and greed.

Bollocks to them, cup or no cup, I'm not getting bumraped by those cunts.

I'd love to see us win the cup - 50 years and counting.

However, I also think we're as good as out already given our predictable draw (yet a-fucking-gain) and our dreadful record against them.

My seat for tomorrow would have cost me 35 quid, so fuck it, I'm not going. Apparently, the club wanted to set the prices low, but they have to be agreed with the other club. Man United insisted on top whack, so 35 quid it is, and it almost certainly won't sell out. That's the romance of the cup fucked up the wrong 'un by tv and greed.

Bollocks to them, cup or no cup, I'm not getting bumraped by those cunts.

More respect to you mate.

Bollocks to the FA Cup doesn't matter, we've been in the FA Cup semi-final twice in recent years and it has been brilliant both times, something to take our minds off the regular season as we a)stutter as a lower mid-table club with defensive tactics in the CCC (b) sit rock-bottom of the Premiership, being simply outclassed every week. Even though we lost to both Southampton and Manure, the two days out I've had to Villa Park (and other places on the way!) have been absolutely excellent. Although maybe this season, an early exit would be best, so we can sort out our home form and get promoted.

The FA cup isn't about who's got a chance of winning.  It's never been won by a team out of the top 4 for 12 years, and only by 2 outside in 21 years, so it's fairly cut and dry.

It's about the upsets on the way. Rarely anything but a banana skin to Premier league teams outside the top four so from his clubs point of view he's right.

Reading are not going to win the Premier League either. The only reason Ginger pubes want to stay in Premier League is because his coin would go down if they got relegated.

And because these days, relegation is a far more catastrophic event (mainly but not only financially) than it ever was in the past

He's right, they won't win the cup. You're right, they won't win the PL. But staying in the PL for clubs like Reading is the be all and end all of football.