Stoke City 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 06/01/08 - post match reaction from page 22

Dave

Just what the fuck was Sam thinking, honestly? We were playing well in the first half, it was a matter of time before we scored.

"We're playing well lads. We've played some half-decent stuff on the floor, some nice passages of play, some nice quick passes. But our final ball isn't working. I know! Go straight to the final ball and see how that works."

???

Fucking stupid. Couldn't believe it. Honest to God. Honestly, i thought Sam would learn from his mistakes, but with things like this - jsut what the fuck. It was a CARBON COPY of Man City. First half good, on the floor, pacey, etc - second half, all long ball and utter shit. Madness. What's he thinking?

I'm not entirely convinced that the manager has that much say over the style of football/way the game pans out once the players cross the white line. It's not like it's just Allardyce who has overseen second halves like that after decent enough openings here recently. The players aren't good enough for one, the conditions were terrible, everything else was against us. I don't believe for a second that he's told our lot to go "more direct" at half-time.

If anything, it was plainly obvious that if we played some football then we might win it.

Stoke are only 13 league places below us.  Same as Sunderland playing Man City really.

I have no idea where i'm going with that,  but I dont think Stoke are as bad as some people are making out here.  And those conditions were fucking terrible.  I'm pretty surprised we're still in the draw TBH.

Not a bad cup tie, atmosphere sounded amazing, had everything but a goal, quite typical for the weekend. Quite enjoyed it and i thought Stoke played really well. Patronising not to recognise their second half display. We missed Beye and Smith was a waste of space today, not sure the shape of the team or the tactics were wrong.

The performance just showed me yet again that the individual players dont either have the mental confidence of the relevant skills to keep possession under pressure. You need players that can keep control of the ball when you are faced with a harrying and harassing championship side. If you dont, then your team mates always look for an easier option with a player in more space, which is what was happening again today.

Well we are still in the cup....just!!!! Smith is just awful in midfield, i thought Butt played well as did Faye and Taylor. We badly lack creativity and i hope Sam notices this!

I think we should forget about the Man Utd game as it could be rather embarassing!

Given 7 - good

Roze 4 The weakest 6'3 CB ever?

Taylor 7 Good

Faye 8 Excellent. Pretty much faultless performance. A Rock.

Enrique 7 Good in the main one or two minor mistakes.

Duff 5 Poor cretaed little.

Smith 5 poor

Butt 5 poor

Zoggy 7 Our most creative player tried his heart out but inexplicably almost always cut inside.

Owen 5 Poor

Viduka 5 Poor

Lua Lua 7 looked very bright, did far more in his 15 mins than Duff did in his 75

bullshit

you think Duff was as bad as fucking Owen and Smith?

you need your stomach pumped mate

Lua Lua and Carroll actually looked fairly decent - I'd like to see us play with the lineup we ended the game with, and put Emre in Smith's place. Seems like that would add a small element of danger to our side.

Sean

Double Crown Records

www.dblcrown.com

Kazenga is Tresors brother, not his fucking nephew BBC!

Even in these conditions, he handled the ball very nicely, better than both and Zoggy who are both technical players. Seemed glued to his foot at times. Has a lot to learn, but that was a very promising display

Considering our poor and limited attacking options it was nice to see LuaLua & Carrol come on. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of them in the following weeks, give them a chance.

Hopefully Enrique took a massive step towards 1st team football in the managers eyes.

Just what the fuck was Sam thinking, honestly? We were playing well in the first half, it was a matter of time before we scored.

"We're playing well lads. We've played some half-decent stuff on the floor, some nice passages of play, some nice quick passes. But our final ball isn't working. I know! Go straight to the final ball and see how that works."

???

Fucking stupid. Couldn't believe it. Honest to God. Honestly, i thought Sam would learn from his mistakes, but with things like this - jsut what the fuck. It was a CARBON COPY of Man City. First half good, on the floor, pacey, etc - second half, all long ball and utter shit. Madness. What's he thinking?

I'm not entirely convinced that the manager has that much say over the style of football/way the game pans out once the players cross the white line. It's not like it's just Allardyce who has overseen second halves like that after decent enough openings here recently. The players aren't good enough for one, the conditions were terrible, everything else was against us. I don't believe for a second that he's told our lot to go "more direct" at half-time.

If anything, it was plainly obvious that if we played some football then we might win it.

But how come there was such a vast, vast difference in the first half to the second? There was so few out-and-out long balls in the first half. In the second, every single fucking passage of play was a long ball. And is it just coincidence that it was exactly the same against Man City?

Viduka/Owen - they'll have been be pulling their hair out; neither are good in the air and neither have the pace to win flick-ons and suchlike.

Taylor/Faye/Given - not particularly accurate long passers (and Given's kicking is unbelieveably poor on the whole nowadays)

Butt/Smith/Geremi - all defensive midfielders, and atleast two of them are more often than not in the starting line-up; they don't have the attacking brain or the abililty in any way shape or form to run onto flick-ons or support, or just generally get in the game when the ball frequently bypasses the midfield on the whole

Duff/N'Zogbia/Milner - again, two of the three or often all of them play at once, and all three of them are good at running down the bylines; how were they ever going to get into the game

If it wasn't the manager who told them to play direct, it wasn't the players.

btw, people criticise ITV and five coverage? fucking hell. i've never seen such one-sided crap in all my life from the BBC.

I flicked Five Live on a few times when away from my television, now that was complete and utter tripe.

And 6-0-6 is hosted by Steve Claridge tonight. :lol: