Lassana Diarra joins Portsmouth

Guest Guinness

Bollocks to creativity in central midfield.

Our biggest problem is the fact that Butt, Barton, Geremi and Smith get overrun in midfield every game due to other midfielders having better physical attributes. Diarra should solve that problem against most teams, and against a large bunch of very imposing midfielders like the Portsmouth midfield, partnering Diarra and Faye should put us on a competitive keel.

I wanted to put this but i thought id get shot down by the "yeh thats what ya call creativity mob". I would love to see those 2 in the midfield, noone would break them, and it would give our wingers more creative license, its good that Diarra is so mobile because he could quite easily support the attack whilst Faye sits deep gobbling up the oppositions attacks.

Guys please dont expect him to come in and make wonders, hes still youngand not yet the player hes supposed to be. Hes going to become a starter for the french national team, and the question is if wenger doesnt already knows that and will only let him come on loan.

If we can sign Diarra then I think it's safe to say that the CDM position is sorted for at least 5 years.

He's much more like Makelele than Essien. I can't really see a resemblance with Essien whatsoever.

I always thought he was one of those up and down midfilders who dont stop running, like essien.

If we can sign Diarra then I think it's safe to say that the CDM position is sorted for at least 5 years.

He's much more like Makelele than Essien. I can't really see a resemblance with Essien whatsoever.

Fantastic user name btw.  :laugh:

Excited if this happens and hope we go for Gillinghams Luke Freedom or whatever his name is, sounds like a canny player at the age of 15.

Did Freeman not sign for Arsenal?

No, not yet at least.

I know nowt about the fella.  3 PL games for Arsenal and he had our attack in his pocket right?

What's with the unrestrained jubilation at merely being linked.

Good luck to him if we get him like, hope he's as good as people reckon, but do you people watch Arsenal reserves week in and week out or something?

I always thought he was one of those up and down midfilders who dont stop running, like essien.

I'm sure he can be, but he really showed his strengths against us in the Carling Cup, playing as a plug in the midfield. I was at the game and his close control, tackling ability and distribution were frankly infuriating me. Like someone said above, him and Faye as well as Butt could make a great partnership in the centre when we need to defend a game.

We have to also consider the fact that he is 22 with 9 French caps under his belt. France have a wealth of CDM's and he's already broken through as a regular.

He's young, talented and is experienced in English football. Can't go wrong tbh.

My only worry is that like at Arsenal, he'd want to be straight in the team. Will Allardyce do this (meaning dropping one of his other signings) or will he be brought through slowly like Enrique?

He's young, talented and is experienced in English football. Can't go wrong tbh.

My only worry is that like at Arsenal, he'd want to be straight in the team. Will Allardyce do this (meaning dropping one of his other signings) or will he be brought through slowly like Enrique?

Why would he be brought  through slowly? He's got a significant amount of Premiership experience already.

Guest ObaStar

Diarra was named Chelsea's young player of the season for the season of 2005-06.

Chelsea's wide network of scouts tagged Diarra as the 'new' Makélélé

made 23 appearances for Chelski last year. sounds good enough for me.

Why would he be brought  through slowly? He's got a significant amount of Premiership experience already.

I wouldn't say he has a significant amount of Premiership experience, 18 games ...

Consider the experience of the likes of Faye, Geremi or Butt. He could play at RB whilst Beye is away but playing there pissed him off at Arsenal.

I wouldn't say he has a significant amount of Premiership experience, 18 games ...

Consider the experience of the likes of Faye, Geremi or Butt. He could play at RB whilst Beye is away but playing there pissed him off at Arsenal.

He knows what it's all about, he has played very well in Premiership games, Enrique hasn't.

It doesn't mean dropping one of his own signings really.  It just means that if he plays Smith he only does so in his correct position.

Whey the Arse fans don't seem to want to let him go so could be canny.

Wouldn't pay any more than they did for him though.  Anyone know what that was?

Would be an absolutely fantastic signing...

...Which means I expect a report that the bid has been rejected or that he's off to Pompey within the hour.

Hope not, depite our respective positions and situation i cant help but feel there is far more potential with our club than Pompey.