Mark Hughes

James

You're wrong about selling Bellamy because he needed to raise funds. Bellamy was sold because there was a clause in his contract. He hasn't been forced to sell anyone to raise funds.

So I will look at his 10th place last season, and I will look at the position that Blackburn are in this season.

No thanks.

Bellamy was still sold against Hughes wishes, with a clause that was kept secret from him by the chairman.

This season, Blackburn are 3 points off 6th despite having quite a few periods without key players being available.

Blackburn have been better than us post-Robson thanks to Hughes. We are not as good a team as you are making out, hence the quality of manager that is considered to be the best available to us.

Source for the 'behind the back' thing? IIRC Hughes just kept quiet about it but it was obvious that it existed. He was asked about it for ages in the second half of that season and said 'no comment' or something to that effect. But maybe I'm wrong.

And there's no point bringing up injuries. They've had two or three of their best players playing for most of the time (Santa Cruz, Bentley and Samba). If you're going to mention injuries, we've lost Viduka, Owen, Duff, Emre and Faye for a significant amount of time.

Oh no please not Hughes. 

Apart from anything else I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing mumbling monotone Newcastle managers explain the game away

Welsh n'all!

You're wrong about selling Bellamy because he needed to raise funds. Bellamy was sold because there was a clause in his contract. He hasn't been forced to sell anyone to raise funds.

So I will look at his 10th place last season, and I will look at the position that Blackburn are in this season.

No thanks.

Bellamy was still sold against Hughes wishes, with a clause that was kept secret from him by the chairman.

This season, Blackburn are 3 points off 6th despite having quite a few periods without key players being available.

Blackburn have been better than us post-Robson thanks to Hughes. We are not as good a team as you are making out, hence the quality of manager that is considered to be the best available to us.

Source for the 'behind the back' thing? IIRC Hughes just kept quiet about it but it was obvious that it existed. He was asked about it for ages in the second half of that season and said 'no comment' or something to that effect. But maybe I'm wrong.

And there's no point bringing up injuries. They've had two or three of their best players playing for most of the time (Santa Cruz, Bentley and Samba). If you're going to mention injuries, we've lost Viduka, Owen, Duff, Emre and Faye for a significant amount of time.

The difference being seven points over half a season.

Guest Guinness

I don't see why we would sack Allardyce to appoint Hughes, as has been said it is a step sideways and not a step forward. For me this sacking and the timing of it will be pointless if we end up with Hughes or Redknapp and will be disasterous if we end up with someone like McClaren. The main reason certain people didn't like Allardyce was the football he played, do Hughes' Blackburn side really play that much better?

Guest shaun11177

Blackburn v Arsenal in league cup-an aerial bombardment from Blackburn the likes of which i havent seen all season. A Manager who has done reasonbly well with a smaller club-now who does that sound like.

I'm quite surprised.  I thought that Hughes would be a more popular choice than this. 

I said in another thread that the next manager must be given time.  We have proven that we have no patience and the board has shown that it either doesn't either or it's too weak to persevere with a manager going through a rough time.  The only people who would get this time are Shearer, Keegan and genuinely proven managers (Mourinho, Lippi) universally considered top class by the fans.  We aren't going to get a manager of the latter type, I don't think Keegan will return to football and Shearer doesn't seem to want to do it just yet, so I predict we'll be right back here in roughly a year.

Personally, I think Houllier would do a good long term job.  He wouldn't get the time though so I don't think he'd last long enough to do it. 

No offence to Hughes, I think he's alright, but let's get a fucking monster this time. If we can get a Lippi or a Mourinho, let's pull out the stops. If he fails, we know that the board have done the best they can.

Working well on a shoestring budget is not something we need now tbh. Allardyce found out the hard way that once the stakes are raised, the expectations are very different.

Not having experience of spending big money well is a disadvantage.

I thought Hughes would be a popular choice as he was a good player who could hopefully attract some decent players, he plays 4-4-2 with attacking full backs and gets lots of crosses into the box, his team keep the ball on the deck and usually plays through a playmaker in the centre (Tugay).

Yeah, because all Sam did wrong was not win the Champions League in 8 months. 

The crowd here are easy to please.  All they wanted was a glimmer of progress.  Sam couldn't even provide that.It wasn't because we weren't challenging top four, it wasn't that we weren't beating Liverpool or Arsenal because we didn't have the players yet.  It was that we were going 90 minutes against Reading, Wigan, Derby, Portsmouth, the Mackems and not looking for 1 second like we had any chance or intention of winning the match.  No mid-table club would have put up with that sorry state of affairs.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I wouldn't object to Hughes he has done a good job at Blackburn and his team play better football than Allardyce's (who doesn't)   

My lil bro had a dream someone with H signed for us, he said it wasn Hughes so it must be Houllier or Hitzfeld, yey im so happy...get a big man in and im happy got enough of this circus speculations.

I would like Hughes here. Realistic target as well. I can't help but laugh at some of the expectations of our fans.

Im one of those with high expectations dreaming of Mourinho or Hiddink.

But my top choice for NUFC manager who is alot more realistic imo is Luis Van Gaal.

Would love him here. And he wouldnt be impossible imo, far from...

I hope to god that we dont go for Hughes, Redknapp, Mclaren, Moyes or someone like that

I'd be happy with either Redknapp or Hughes.

Why?

Because I'm realistic about what sort of manager would join us, of course I'd prefer the likes of Mourinho or Lippi but the chances of either coming here is pretty slim.

Both play good football that's entertaining to watch, Redknapp especially has a team playing the sort of style I'd enjoy watching every week, with money behind him I think Redknapp could put an excellent team together.