The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Guinness

SSN: Officials from both clubs now apparently thrashing out a deal. As has been the case with most of the stuff in this thread, they have no confirmation, just sources close to the club.

Guest GAMMELL

Ive heard Christ Mort is in Portugal right now, and Ashley in Hong Kong. But who knows, right? :p

At Jose's hoose????

new manager Mr Murat ?

:lol: :lol:

I think its a pretty safe bet that this isnt bullshit now   :undecided:

Can anyone think of a world class manager who plays attacking football? Someones who potentially available?

I say this because i cant help but think that the attacking football aspect is the key bit that Mort and Ashley are running with. Alot of managers  have used this "football played in a certain way" line to describe what the Geordies are after.

Can anyone actually think of a manager readily available and viable who would come in a produce attackig football as standard?

I think its a pretty safe bet that this isnt bullshit now  :undecided:

Can anyone think of a world class manager who plays attacking football? Someones who potentially available?

I say this because i cant help but think that the attacking football aspect is the key bit that Mort and Ashley are running with. Alot of managers  have used this "football played in a certain way" line to describe what the Geordies are after.

Can anyone actually think of a manager readily available and viable who would come in a produce attackig football as standard?

Not impressed by him as a person, but Van Gaal fits that profile pretty much..

Can't see why the club wouldn't say anything if this was complete bullshit. :(

I'm hoping you'll turn that frown upside down when Ashley gives Redknapp that £100M Parky was talking about. I'm not dancing around the room at this potential move, simply because it's Harry Redknapp, but there's more to all of this than just the manager himself. I'll try and explain:

If it's cost upwards of £5M to sack Allardyce, being conservative given the reports, without even taking the staff that'll go as well into the equation, and it looks like costing another £5M to get Redknapp, without taking any of their staff into account either... then surely Big Mike is going to back this man to the hilt when he does arrive after such an outlay. People seem to be underestimating the fact that this will be Ashley's man, not Shepherd's. Which rightly or wrongly is an entirely different kettle of fish.

It seems he's been the first choice all along and that quite a few inside people knew (hence the monster cash being chucked on him from the first moment betting opened), and so fair play to the big fella for sticking to his guns. For all Redknapp's said about not speaking to us (he can't exactly say anything else, can he because we'd be in deep shit otherwise!) if we've made an official move for him already then I reckon he'll have been tapped-up, or whatever you want to call it.

The ITK's who were right about Allardyce called this almost immediately, so there has been a plan in place after all, and this is the man that the people in charge want to back and move forward with. It all seems a very strange set of affairs if Ashley doesn't have big plans for us, people have to admit that. Why go to all of this bother and then let Redknapp fail like Allardyce?

They've given Allardyce time, backed him with quite probably as much money (if not more) than he'd have had from Freddy Shepherd (not a dig, just a realistic assumption) and it hasn't worked out. I'm not on their backs about this just yet, but I will be if we're in this exact position at this time next year or in another 8 months, because they will have undoubtedly have made a real error and they will deserve some stick for it.

For now I'm trying to quell the optimism as much as I can and be realistic, and I realistically believe that IF Redknapp and his boys from Pompey are brought up (and we fucking need all of them, if possible, I'll be distraught if we miss out on his right hand man like we did with Allardyce's) at great expense, then firstly we'll start looking better on the park and secondly he'll be given some serious cash to take us to the next level. Ashley gets nothing out of us doing shit, absolutely nothing. He'd be an idiot to want to "support" a shit team, let alone own one.

Through Kelmsley the man himself has asked for more time from us before we judge him, I say that's fair enough. "The point he made to me was 'people talk about managers being given time. Well what about giving me time?'. He hasn't even had a window to work in yet."

I'm excited by this, not because it's Harry Redknapp the manager taking over from Sam Allardyce the manager, but because of all the other things/signals/signs that are coming with it.

I think its a pretty safe bet that this isnt bullshit now   :undecided:

I say this because i cant help but think that the attacking football aspect is the key bit that Mort and Ashley are running with. Alot of managers  have used this "football played in a certain way" line to describe what the Geordies are after.

the name Van Gaal excites me more than Redknapp.

Not impressed by him as a person, but Van Gaal fits that profile pretty much..

I'm hoping you'll turn that frown upside down when Ashley gives Redknapp that £100M Parky was talking about. I'm not dancing around the room at this potential move, simply because it's Harry Redknapp, but there's more to all of this than just the manager himself. I'll try and explain:

If it's cost upwards of £5M to sack Allardyce, being conservative given the reports, without even taking the staff that'll go as well into the equation, and it looks like costing another £5M to get Redknapp, without taking any of their staff into account either... then surely Big Mike is going to back this man to the hilt when he does arrive after such an outlay. People seem to be underestimating the fact that this will be Ashley's man, not Shepherd's. Which rightly or wrongly is an entirely different kettle of fish.

It seems he's been the first choice all along and that quite a few inside people knew (hence the monster cash being chucked on him from the first moment betting opened), and so fair play to the big fella for sticking to his guns. For all Redknapp's said about not speaking to us (he can't exactly say anything else, can he because we'd be in deep shit otherwise!) if we've made an official move for him already then I reckon he'll have been tapped-up, or whatever you want to call it.

The ITK's who were right about Allardyce called this almost immediately, so there has been a plan in place after all, and this is the man that the people in charge want to back and move forward with. It all seems a very strange set of affairs if Ashley doesn't have big plans for us, people have to admit that. Why go to all of this bother and then let Redknapp fail like Allardyce?

They've given Allardyce time, backed him with quite probably as much money (if not more) than he'd have had from Freddy Shepherd (not a dig, just a realistic assumption) and it hasn't worked out. I'm not on their backs about this just yet, but I will be if we're in this exact position at this time next year or in another 8 months, because they will have undoubtedly have made a real error and they will deserve some stick for it.

For now I'm trying to quell the optimism as much as I can and be realistic, and I realistically believe that IF Redknapp and his boys from Pompey are brought up (and we fucking need all of them, if possible, I'll be distraught if we miss out on his right hand man like we did with Allardyce's) at great expense, then firstly we'll start looking better on the park and secondly he'll be given some serious cash to take us to the next level. Ashley gets nothing out of us doing shit, absolutely nothing. He'd be an idiot to want to "support" a shit team, let alone own one.

Through Kelmsley the man himself has asked for more time from us before we judge him, I say that's fair enough. "The point he made to me was 'people talk about managers being given time. Well what about giving me time?'. He hasn't even had a window to work in yet."

I'm excited by this, not because it's Harry Redknapp the manager taking over from Sam Allardyce the manager, but because of all the other things/signals/signs that are coming with it.

Good post. I'm not distraught at this potential move, more highly disappointed. But as you say, if it means the manager is backed to the hilt then it's a good thing. The problems come when you look and see he's got no experience of spending such amounts of money. And it's a rather short-term option with the man being 60.

excellent.

I see this in one of 2 ways.

They want Redknapp because he has shown he can put together a decent team, playing good football with little money [unlike Sam who did the same but played unattractive football, which is why it is all been so restless].

Or - irrespective of what individuals like us may feel about him - he is THEIR choice. It is THEIR decision. THEIR man and THEY trust him more and have genuine ambition.

If they are wrong, they will be looking for someone else within a couple of years, and money spunked, just like the last board. If this happens I'll be happy with the board, just like before, but accept they made the wrong choice and hold out more hope the next time.

However, they may have made the right choice, and if they back him, we will find out. It goes without saying this is what I hope happens, even if he is a cockney eastend west ham supporting tosser ......  ;D

Sir Davealot: Very valid points, as usual, but if this bloke was good enough to be offered (or at least sounded about about) the Spurs job (which he must have been, if you believe what he said in the papers yesterday/Wednesday) then it's good enough for me. Also, the real key point is this: Harry Redknapp appears to be Ashley's first choice, perhaps the only choice (which is perhaps why we sacked Allardyce when we did, maybe Harry said "yes" on Wednesday), which is a massive thing really.

Good post. I'm not distraught at this potential move, more highly disappointed. But as you say, if it means the manager is backed to the hilt then it's a good thing. The problems come when you look and see he's got no experience of spending such amounts of money. And it's a rather short-term option with the man being 60.

Muntari and Utaka didn't come cheap... 7m a piece and they've turned out to be very good purchases.

Guest LucaAltieri

This. Possibly.

But it still remains to be seen if Redknapp (assuming we sign him) will be backed. The timing of the Allardyce sacking suggests he will be.

Would you trust 'arry with the money? More importantly, do you think he'd be able to do anything with the base we've already got? Are Smith, Barton, Martins, Milner etc Redknapp players? We can't sign a new squad in a January window surely.

I'd still prefer to see a better manager picked up. Regardless of who signed him, I feel if the board had accepted Allardyce and backed him to the necessary extent we'd end up just as well off (if not better) than we would sacking him mid-season and bringing in Redknapp.

Sir Davealot: Very valid points, as usual, but if this bloke was good enough to be offered (or at least sounded about about) the Spurs job (which he must have been, if you believe what he said in the papers yesterday/Wednesday) then it's good enough for me. Also, the real key point is this: Harry Redknapp appears to be Ashley's first choice, perhaps the only choice (which is perhaps why we sacked Allardyce when we did, maybe Harry said "yes" on Wednesday), which is a massive thing really.

I think everything since Allardyce's sacking has pointed to Redknapp being the clubs first choice, like you say he's likely to have verbally agreed to join before we sacked Sam.

I wonder if he had a few quid on it if that's the case.  A lot of people were convinced that both he and the chairman made a lot of money out of his move to Southampton.  As you said in an earlier post, big money was on him quite early on.

excellent.

They want Redknapp because he has shown he can put together a decent team, playing good football with little money [unlike Sam who did the same but played unattractive football, which is why it is all been so restless].

Or - irrespective of what individuals like us may feel about him - he is THEIR choice. It is THEIR decision. THEIR man and THEY trust him more and have genuine ambition.

If they are wrong, they will be looking for someone else within a couple of years, and money spunked, just like the last board. If this happens I'll be happy with the board, just like before, but accept they made the wrong choice and hold out more hope the next time.

However, they may have made the right choice, and if they back him, we will find out. It goes without saying this is what I hope happens, even if he is a cockney eastend west ham supporting tosser ......  ;D

Agree entirely with all of that last bit. I don't like the bloke, but like you say he has done the business elsewhere, albeit in a different fashion to what I'm hoping for in my post.

Your first point is a bit pessimistic for me to take at the minute, but it's also something that cannot be counted out!

The thing is, I'd assume one reason for Harry leaving Portsmouth is because they aren't backing him as far he liked and he believes he could/can take Portsmouth further (which is different to why Sam left Bolton, in a way). Redknapp said himself in the Summer that they might need to sell Nugent to raise funds for other areas, when the lad had barely been there a month or two, that was a sign of discontent if anything, to me. It was unheard of at the time.

I don't see why he'd come here without the promise of some good money.

excellent.

Agree entirely with all of that last bit. I don't like the bloke, but like you say he has done the business elsewhere, albeit in a different fashion to what I'm hoping for in my post.

Your first point is a bit pessimistic for me to take at the minute, but it's also something that cannot be counted out!

The thing is, I'd assume one reason for Harry leaving Portsmouth is because they aren't backing him as far he liked and he believes he could/can take Portsmouth further (which is different to why Sam left Bolton, in a way). Redknapp said himself in the Summer that they might need to sell Nugent to raise funds for other areas, when the lad had barely been there a month or two, that was a sign of discontent if anything, to me. It was unheard of at the time.

I don't see why he'd come here without the promise of some good money.

Coming to the end of his career, a nice pay packet.

Enrique: Of course, of course. I've been reading up on Redknapp since he became favourite and there has been some not very nice stuff written about him all over, especially as pertains to his love for the cash. Surely he'd have been on a big wedge if he'd taken that other "massive" job he was offered, though?

I think he was thinking he could get the England job, personally, but that's out of the window for at least a couple of years (when the answer to the failed foreign coach becomes an English coach, again?)