The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

gutted if we get him imho we should be looking a lot higher

Realistically who would you have?

If Citeh can get Sven, that's the minimum calibre of manager we should be looking at. Assuming we are aiming for European football once more, it'd be nice to have someone with a little experience of it.

...again it comes down to ambition, research and selling th club in the correct manner.

There seems a slim chance it might not be Nappy.

...of course it might then be McClown.

Waiting with baited breath.

City is the one example I don't think anyone can argue with. Spurs less so because they were in a false position when they sacked Jol and always have the bright lights of London.

But City were going nowhere just like we are. They finished 14th last year. A mid-table team with a couple of good players, but with 'no chance' of attracting a world renowned manager like Sven-Goran Eriksson. They got rich, new ownership and got in a manager lots of people mocked but all knew was of top class calibre. They now look set for good things.

We need to try the same.

Of course.

surely if there was nothing in it the sensible thing would have been to just do the press conference, say right at the start 'right, i'm only saying this on the nufc situation, there's been no contact with me or the club from them about anything' and then just get on with it as normal as possible

even if he isnt being sounded out, he's certainly done his best to make it LOOK like he is, perhaps gives more weight to the theory that this could be a wild goose chase to throw the press off the scent, given ashley and redknapps connections?

or maybe its just wishful thinking and he'll be our manager within the hour

Someone who claims to be security at Newcastle Airport now says he's there according to SSN texts.  :undecided:

Meant to be arriving in Newcastle in 7 minutes

Pompey are playing at the Vilage of the Damned on Sunday tbh.  O0

Plenty on here wanted Allardyce over Sven at the time tbh.

With Shepherd in charge I thought Sam was a good idea, and Sven a bad one. This kind of media circus that surrounds us for some reason would be longing for it to go pear-shaped. Also there was the tightening of the purse-strings to think about; Sven has always spent big.

Redknapp seems to be in amongst a group of good British managers -  including Moyes, Hughes, Curbishley, O'Neill - that lots of people on here have turned their noses up at over the last few seasons. The usual reasoning is that we should be going for a continental superstar in the league of Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Mourinho etc

It's very unlikely that those kind of managers would be attracted to us at the moment, and the British managers I've mentioned are more than competent enough to get us moving forward again.

Guest NorwegianMag

Mix feelings about this.  Coul've been worse, but I don't see the point. Why sack one of the most talented manager in Britain, and then appoint a rather average one?

Redknapp seems to be in amongst a group of good British managers -  including Moyes, Hughes, Curbishley, O'Neill - that lots of people on here have turned their noses up at over the last few seasons. The usual reasoning is that we should be going for a continental superstar in the league of Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Mourinho etc

It's very unlikely that those kind of managers would be attracted to us at the moment, and the British managers I've mentioned are more than competent enough to get us moving forward again.

What attracted Sven to City?

Guest bluegeordie

Err, "unhappy", but at this point in my Toon career, I wouldn't expect anything else.

Ideally I'd like Hitzfeld (who is obviously outbound from Bayern in the summer), or Hiddink (who makes Boba Fett look like a charity worker), or Louis van Gaal (who has demonstrated recently at AZ that he's capable of attacking-and-entertaining-but-ultimately-not-quite-successful football - sounds like us in the good old days!).         

Guest Mucky01

Mix feelings about this.  Coul've been worse, but I don't see the point. Why sack one of the most talented manager in Britain, and then appoint a rather average one?

because he was destroying the club at an alarming rate.

Err, "unhappy", but at this point in my Toon career, I wouldn't expect anything else.

Ideally I'd like Hitzfeld (who is obviously outbound from Bayern in the summer), or Hiddink (who makes Boba Fett look like a charity worker), or Louis van Gaal (who has demonstrated recently at AZ that he's capable of attacking-and-entertaining-but-ultimately-not-quite-successful football - sounds like us in the good old days!).         

Player or staff? :razz:

good question!

The fine mancunian weather.

That he happened to sign the contract to manage us on the very the afternoon the takeover went thru was a mere coincidence. :whistle:

That he happened to sign the contract to manage us on the very the afternoon the takeover went thru was a mere coincidence. :whistle:

I was there today. Shite.

;)

I was there today. Shite.

;)

Well. He's scandanavian. Got a taste for shite weather.  :smug:

Guest bluegeordie

Player or staff? :razz:

Top secret freelance ... somewhere between the physios and the sport psychs. It was my reserach that led to Milner being played on the left, and Smith being played at all.

[Ducks for cover] 

You're joking right?

Says more about Britain than it does about Allardyce tbh.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/01/11/SOCCER_Newcastle_Nightlead.html

REDKNAPP IN MAGPIES SIGHTS

It is now understood the Tyneside club were preparing to formalise their interest in the 60-year-old on Friday by making an approach to Pompey for permission to speak to him.

Neither club was either confirming or denying that contact has been made on Friday afternoon.

However, Redknapp's impromptu departure and the fact that Newcastle chairman Chris Mort was away from his desk - club owner Mike Ashley is currently in Hong Kong - added fuel to the fire as the former West Ham boss was backed down to an overwhelming 1/7 favourite with some bookmakers........

good question!

To be fair Sven's rating was at an all time low as he was getting all the blame for the horrific England squad.

I bet a part of him wanted to prove himself in this country and as Man City were going to give him the money to bring in players he figured why not?

good question!

To be fair Sven's rating was at an all time low as he was getting all the blame for the horrific England squad.

I bet a part of him wanted to prove himself in this country and as Man City were going to give him the money to bring in players he figured why not?

With stupid people.

Your second bit is spot on though iyam.

good question!

With stupid people.

A lot of it had to do with the media though and that is the reality. It was really unfortunate and I am happy he's shown them all up while maintaining his dignity. Top manager and a top guy to boot.

Sigh ... what could have been eh?

I still cannot believe that we are actually discussing the very real possibility of Harry bleeding Redknapp becoming our manager!

This is a man who has achieved relatively little in his management career and seems, in my opinion at least, to have been somewhat inconsistent. Portsmouth have only recently developed a reputation for playing decent football, and to hire him on this basis seems absurd.

By the way, can anyone recall the type of football played during his West Ham days?

good question!

With stupid people.

A lot of it had to do with the media though and that is the reality. It was really unfortunate and I am happy he's shown them all up while maintaining his dignity. Top manager and a top guy to boot.

Sigh ... what could have been eh?

Well maybe City got lucky in that Sven was relatively unwanted by some fans at that time. Still shows what can be achieved (so far, so good) if one dares to go for the very best you can. See my earlier post about where they were at the end of last season.