The Harry Redknapp thread

fredbob
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seemingly Rednap does a prematch press conference every week on a Friday so this all seems like madness.  I think we have got to give Ashley and Mort the benefit of the doubt on this one.  They will not sell us up the river with a second rate manager, they, especially Ashley, know the fans views and they know what we would like.

Until I am proven wrong I will believe that Ashley has his man and they are both laughing at the press madness that has surrounded Newcastle since the departure of Big Sam.

Guest Urban Fox

The only teams in the premier who play the kind of football we'd love to watch every week are currently in the top 2 and neither manager is going anywhere.  

I think I'd welcome Roy Keane just as long as Redknapp stays where he is

(Ok, maybe not)

Guest The Libertine

Anal on SSN now.  Says he's just spoken to Redknapp and 'Arry says he's not spoken to us.  But deep down AO gets the feeling it's a done deal.

redknapp: "ive never spoken to mort or ashley"

oliver: "i think its a done deal"

Guest elbee909

Anal on SSN now.  Says he's just spoken to Redknapp and 'Arry says he's not spoken to us.  But deep down AO gets the feeling it's a done deal.

redknapp: "ive never spoken to mort or ashley"

oliver: "i think its a done deal"

Someone says to Alan: "Look, there is no Santa Claus."

Alan reports: "Presents will be under the tree by morning.  Brett Emerton by the end of the week."

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If he's turned it down, who is second choice? If he's not already agreed, why sack Allardyce?

No idea where we go from here unless the entire Harry stuff was never true at all.

I'm still of the opinion it isn't true.

Oliver on SSN now.

Chronicle tonight is about them going for Redknapp.

Oliver spoke to Harry this morning, Redknapp said he hasn't been contacted.

Oliver spoke to Mort this morning, he did not say that Redknapp had been approached or would be.

But somehow, Oliver reads between the lines and Redknapps on his way.

I feel sorry for David Craig.

Yeah reads between the fooking lines on his prune head more like!

Guest Guinness

Oliver on SSN now.

Oliver spoke to Mort this morning, he did not say that Redknapp had been approached or would be.

:lol: I love the way he manages to get the exact opposite out of what he's been told.

At least this explains all of the Martins rumours last summer.

Mort/Allardyce: "Martins is not for sale"

AO: "Reading between the lines Martins will be sold"

If he's turned it down, who is second choice? If he's not already agreed, why sack Allardyce?

No idea where we go from here unless the entire Harry stuff was never true at all.

It just doesn't add up, from what we know about Mort. Either they have somebody else lined up and this is infact a smokescreen, or in Mike Ashley we have another Freddy Shepherd who sacked Sam on a whim.

The latter is currently looking more likely...

The mixed emotions of relief and shame if he says we've offered him a fortune in wages and a huge transfer kitty to join us and he's turned us down...

I'd be deeply concerned if he's Ashley's first choice and he turns us down. As much as I think this is a sideways step from Allardyce I'm fearful of who we may turn to if he decides he doesn't want the job.

Well exactly.  I said earlier in one of these mammoth threads, it seems we pull out all the stops to get the wrong man here.  Paying off his current club, arguing with the FA over badges, defending dodgy dealings, long contracts, big pay offs, private jets, massive transfer kitties... All to secure Souness, Roeder, Sam and Redknapp :(

And if he's our first choice god knows who we'll end up with otherwise.

Oliver on SSN now.

:lol: I love the way he manages to get the exact opposite out of what he's been told.

At least this explains all of the Martins rumours last summer.

Mort/Allardyce: "Martins is not for sale"

AO: "Reading between the lines Martins will be sold"

what it means is those in the nationals are reporting it so alan believes it even though as he says he has no evidence.

I'd be content with Redknapp. I just find it baffling that people think this Newcastle job is attractive to a top manager. You can't please everyone but just look at some of the reactions of people in this thread. Some people have it in for him before he even takes charge of a game (if he does). It doesn't fucking help.

and getting behind a manager who won't bring success is EXACTLY what helps, yes?

Hwo can Spurs get Ramos, and we have to settle for fucking Redknapp??

Because as you've been telling us for ages now,  we're just a useless,  pathetic midtable side?

It just doesn't add up, from what we know about Mort. Either they have somebody else lined up and this is infact a smokescreen, or in Mike Ashley we have another Freddy Shepherd who sacked Sam on a whim.

The latter is currently looking more likely...

Its exactly what I'm thinking too. When SA was suddenly sacked, my first thought was "somebody big has been lined up - goes with the story in the Chron"

Now thats looking less likely.

Guest elbee909

I keep wondering what the point of all these smokescreens would be.  And has anyone actually seen one in real life?  Is it a screen to stop smoke, or is it a screen made of smoke?

From Sportsmail:

EXCLUSIVE: Newcastle make official approach for Redknapp

Last updated at 11:13am on 11th January 2008

Newcastle have today made a formal approach to Portsmouth for permission to speak to manager Harry Redknapp, Sportsmail can reveal.

The 60-year-old has been torn between staying at Pompey and the challenge of taking over at St James' Park but it seems certain he will now agree to become the next Newcastle manager.

According to the London Evening Standard he has told friends that he will accept the "biggest challenge" of his life as he tries to breathe life into the ailing north east giants.

I don't know how reliable they are.... ?

Newcastle have today made a formal approach to Portsmouth for permission to speak to manager Harry Redknapp, Sportsmail can reveal.

The 60-year-old has been torn between staying at Pompey and the challenge of taking over at St James' Park but it seems certain he will now agree to become the next Newcastle manager.

According to the London Evening Standard he has told friends that he will accept the "biggest challenge" of his life as he tries to breathe life into the ailing north east giants

Compensation would now appear to be the only issue left to resolve before Redknapp takes over from Sam Allardyce, who was sacked on Wednesday night after just eight months in charge with their chairman Alex Gaydamark wanting at least £1.5million before the former West Ham manager is unveiled next week.

It's believed he can expect a £5m-a-year deal - five times his current salary at Fratton Park - and will be allowed to commute from his Sandbanks home in Poole, Dorset, with Ashley prepared to lend his new manager his private jet.

Former Arsenal captain Tony Adams has already been sounded out about replacing Redknapp, who has led Portsmouth to eighth in the Premier League.

Ashley is currently in Hong Kong on business but wants his chairman Chris Mort to get their new manager in place before Wednesday's FA Cup replay at home to Stoke City.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=507590&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Hmmm