Redknapp rejects Newcastle or Newcastle reject Redknapp?

Dokko

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3041500,00.html

For anyone who hasn't seen it, that's a lengthy interview with Redknapp from earlier today.

Makes a lot of things clearer, he did meet with NUFC yesterday and was offered a contract and given a night to sleep on it, but he just couldn't bring himself to leave Pompey. He said the financial offer was "massive". He has also never spoken to Mike Ashley, Chris Mort took all of the negotiations.

Looks like most of the news reports about him, especially in the major papers, were spot-on with their descriptions of events.

he says he was offered a contract...the NUFC side of it is different...who to believe ?

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1301_redknapp.shtml

HARRY REDKNAPP has DOUBLED his money to £3 million a year after turning down a move to Newcastle.

The Pompey manager's loy-alty to the Fratton Park club will see him earn £10.5m over the remainder of his contract.

His decision to stay won him the immediate gratitude of the Pompey board who will up his deal to fend of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley's billions.

Redknapp's new package still leaves him a long way short of the £4m a year Newcastle were willing to pay. But the Pompey boss (left) is delighted with the pay rise after 24 hours of soul searching.

A source close to Redknapp said: "It didn't come down purely to cash with Harry. If it did, he would have gone to Newcastle.

"Portsmouth made him feel wanted, they've given him a pay rise and he knows there will be money to spend From Back Page

during the rest of the transfer window. It was a case of Portsmouth putting their arm round him and making him feel wanted."

Redknapp said: "This is a club I feel comfortable at. I came back here and everyone treated me fantastically, I've got a good relationship with the fans, with the owner and the players I brought here.

"I persuaded them to come to Portsmouth and sold the club to them. And to walk away after that and after the team is doing so well wouldn't be right.

Heart

"I have had a great offer and to be offered it by such a fantastic club like Newcastle was a terrific opportunity for me.

"But in the end I thought I really have no intention of wanting to leave here. I looked at it but my heart is in Portsmouth, it always will be. This is where I'm happy.

"Alex Ferguson is always associated with Manchester United, Arsene Wenger with Arsenal and for many people I'm that way with Portsmouth... and that's the way it's going to stay."

Well at least he's made something out of it.

Rednapp's played us like a fiddle.

He drops a few hints to Kelmsley he'd take the job if offered it.  We sack Allardyce, and tell everyone it's his for the taking.  Suddenly he gets double his wages at Pompey and a bumper transfer budget.

Et Voila, you've gotta hand it to him.

He drops a few hints to Kelmsley he'd take the job if offered it.  We sack Allardyce, and tell everyone it's his for the taking.  Suddenly he gets double his wages at Pompey and a bumper transfer budget.

if true

Indeed. The bird with the golf club bending over needs something handing to her too.

Newcastle United were insistent yesterday that their discussions with Harry Redknapp did not reach the stage where he was offered the job, the specific reason being that Redknapp's first demand was a private jet in which to commute to the North-east from his base in Dorset.

"Managing Newcastle United is a privilege," a club source said. "It is not something you do from the far end of the country

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premier-league/article3333836.ece

Face saving PR

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/I39m-a-mug-for-not.3667856.jp

HARRY Redknapp says his friends have labelled him a "mug" for not taking over at Newcastle United.

The 60-year-old turned down the club's approach after talks in London with Newcastle chairman Chris Mort on Friday and pledged his loyalty to Portsmouth.

But Redknapp concedes his judgement has been questioned by those close to him who felt the challenge at St James's Park would be irresistable to him.

He said: "My phone's been in total meltdown since the speculation began, and I'd be a liar if I didn't admit the vast majority of my mates in football saud I should take the job.

"They think I've lost the plot completely, that I'm a complete and utter mug for turning my back on Newcastle.

"I haven't slept since the speculation began, and I feel a sense of huge relief since taking the decision to stay at Portsmouth.

"Did I come close to going? It's a massive club with huge potential It's the chance I've always been crying out for in my career. It was a once-a-lifetime opportunity."

And his dismissed reports about the size of the contract that had been offered to him to succeed Sam Allardyce.

Redknapp added: "Any decision to go there would never have been about money, it was about unfulfilled ambition."

HARRY Redknapp says his friends have labelled him a "mug" for not taking over at Newcastle United.

The 60-year-old turned down the club's approach after talks in London with Newcastle chairman Chris Mort on Friday and pledged his loyalty to Portsmouth.

But Redknapp concedes his judgement has been questioned by those close to him who felt the challenge at St James's Park would be irresistable to him.

He said: "My phone's been in total meltdown since the speculation began, and I'd be a liar if I didn't admit the vast majority of my mates in football saud I should take the job.

"They think I've lost the plot completely, that I'm a complete and utter mug for turning my back on Newcastle.

"I haven't slept since the speculation began, and I feel a sense of huge relief since taking the decision to stay at Portsmouth.

"Did I come close to going? It's a massive club with huge potential It's the chance I've always been crying out for in my career. It was a once-a-lifetime opportunity."

And his dismissed reports about the size of the contract that had been offered to him to succeed Sam Allardyce.

Redknapp added: "Any decision to go there would never have been about money, it was about unfulfilled ambition."

Good news to be honest that the football world still seems to find us attractive.

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3041500,00.html

For anyone who hasn't seen it, that's a lengthy interview with Redknapp from earlier today.

Makes a lot of things clearer, he did meet with NUFC yesterday and was offered a contract and given a night to sleep on it, but he just couldn't bring himself to leave Pompey. He said the financial offer was "massive". He has also never spoken to Mike Ashley, Chris Mort took all of the negotiations.

Looks like most of the news reports about him, especially in the major papers, were spot-on with their descriptions of events.

he says he was offered a contract...the NUFC side of it is different...who to believe ?

Neither, but give it 5 minutes, and the cretins will be stating as fact that WE turned HIM down because we're a massive club, us, everyone want to manage us. Massive.

Good news to be honest that the football world still seems to find us attractive.

As rejections go, it's pretty flattering.

We'll have to see what happens when Ashley gets back from Hong Kong.

Redknapp also ruled out any chance of him joining Newcastle should the club renew their interest.

"No, not a prayer, I couldn't do that," said Redknapp after Portsmouth's 2-0 defeat at Sunderland on Sunday.

"I said I'm going to stay at Portsmouth. I wouldn't be able to show my face again, I'd be finished.

"I made a decision and that's it. I'm here and I'll stick with it and get on with my job at Portsmouth now."

Redknapp also ruled out any chance of him joining Newcastle should the club renew their interest.

"No, not a prayer, I couldn't do that," said Redknapp after Portsmouth's 2-0 defeat at Sunderland on Sunday.

"I said I'm going to stay at Portsmouth. I wouldn't be able to show my face again, I'd be finished.

"I made a decision and that's it. I'm here and I'll stick with it and get on with my job at Portsmouth now."

Never seen Baggio so desperate.  bluelaugh.gif

Please god he'll stick to that.

But anyoen who believes the sort of shite people in football come out with is an idiot. Or Gasuso. Or both, in Gasuso's case.

I seem to remember him saying the same about Southampton, not exact words but I'm sure he turned them down only to change his mind later.