The Magedia Thread - Sunderland suck trollolololol

Rocker

Bloody Schmeichel, man. :(

I know.  If we had won that game, we would had won the title.

The eerie silence coming out of that match still kind of haunts me.

I've never experienced it since and the contrast to the mood as people made their way to SJP was tangible.

it truly was a weird atmosphere after the game, in fact from the second the ball hit the net...the initial silence that met that was horrible

Bloody Schmeichel, man. :(

I know.  If we had won that game, we would had won the title.

And fucking Cantona.. if he'd have been banned for life for jumping in the crowd we'd have won it also....they went on a run winning 1-0 every week with Cantona scoring for what seemed like months as they caught us up.

Guest bimpy474

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/sp20120407cd.html?

Jesus christ I've never seen so many factual errors in an article before, and one from a supposed national news outlet! Already written a letter to the editor on this :lol:

I particularly liked "Cabaye and Santon cost a combined £18.8 million" :lol:

Yohan Cabaya (£4.4 million from Lille), plus the defensive solidarity of Davide Santon (£5.3 from Inter Milan)

Yet this was 2 paragraphs up :D

Jesus christ I've never seen so many factual errors in an article before, and one from a supposed national news outlet! Already written a letter to the editor on this :lol:

except he doesn't say that. he says ba, cisse,cabaye and santon cost that much.

Guest bimpy474

except he doesn't say that. he says cisse,cabaye and santon cost that much.

As you say that is how he meant it, its poorly written and added up too, £9m, £5.3M, £4.4M is £18.7m.

Guest diddimz

except he doesn't say that. he says ba, cisse,cabaye and santon cost that much.

And Ba as well,  not that he changes the fee :D

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/jim-white/newcastle-revel-bizarre-renaissance-115329232.html

Newcastle revel in bizarre renaissance

By Eurosport | Jim White* – 8 hours ago

*not that one

I was talking to a Newcastle United supporter yesterday. The interesting thing was — like every other Newcastle fan I have ever met — he did not conform remotely to type.

Just as all Manchester United fans are said to hail from Godalming and all Leeds followers are dismissed as Neanderthals, the received wisdom about the Geordie faithful is that they have ludicrously ambitious expectations. They are — so the widespread notions go — convinced their club should be winning every trophy in sight and are thus in a constant condition of agitation when they don't.

The weeping Geordie is almost as big a cliché as the weeping Manchester City fan.

As it happens, in keeping with most of those who flock fortnightly to the cathedral of football formerly known as St James' Park, this chap had little in the way of expectation. He just seemed very pleased, if not a little astonished, at how well this season is panning out.

"Like a lot of my mates I had no time for Pardew when he was appointed, just thought he was another waste of time," he said. "But he's proved me wrong. Now there's a real chance we might even get to Europe. Though knowing us we'll probably bugger it up at the last."

Even get to Europe? Don't you Newcastle fans, I said to him, think you should be doing a lot more than that?

"Why? We've not won anything domestically for 60 years. What on earth makes you think we think we should be winning things? Do you know a single Geordie who wakes up in the morning and thinks today's the day we're going to win something? Because I don't."

The truth is, realism long ago became the lot of the Newcastle fan. Which is why this season has been such fun. A good team, a good manager, good prospects: what a contrast to the views most of the fans had last August, when all they could see ahead was another year of turmoil and dismay.

Because what has surprised most of all is that the current renaissance has taken place under the watch of the current owner Mike Ashley. If there are any assumptions made around St James' Park they have generally been that if there is anything good going on at the club, Ashley will foul it up.

While accepting that as a billionaire he must have some business nous about him, few of those in the stands could see any logic in the manner in which he runs the club. Every policy seems irrational, based on the jerk of the knee and the short-term, every business decision suited more to his own personal agenda than the long-term health of the club. The name change to the Sports Direct Arena an example of his crass failure to understand what he has in his hands.

And yet, bizarrely, Ashley is currently presiding over the most progressive management regime in the Premier League. One which points the way to turning a business mired by debt and spiralling costs into one which makes sustainable profit.

Much is made of the model apparently adopted at Anfield. The Sabermetrics stuff about finding value in the transfer market that others might have missed is said to have been imported to Liverpool from baseball by the American owners of the club. Though you have to wonder what Billy Beane, the presiding genius of the theory, would make of an institution forking out north of £100 million on such duds as Jordan Henderson, Andy Carroll and Charlie Adam. More Moneyballs-up than Moneyball.

At Newcastle, however, without any fuss or declaration, Sabermetrics is being giving living definition. Tim Krul, Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse: everyone has seen their value rise exponentially this season.

The source of such investment gems is pretty obvious. Most Geordies credit the scout Graham Carr for finding them over in the French leagues. According to Joe Cole, the one Englishman currently playing in France, he has seen Alan Pardew at matches at least half a dozen times this season, checking out targets identified by his highly knowledgeable colleague.

And Cole reckons the seam of talent is by no means exhausted. At his own club, Lille — from which Cabaye was bought last summer — Cole thinks there are plenty with the ability and temperament to thrive in the Premier League. And he is not simply referring to Eden Hazard.

But buying well is only the start of it. Clearly Pardew has been able to mould his recruits into a potent mix, developing a team spirit that is second to none in the division. The upward mobility may have taken the regulars by surprise, but there is clearly method on the training ground.

What worries the fans is how long it will last. One thing that certainly characterises the Newcastle fan these days is a distrust of the boardroom. As my contact put it: "Ashley must take one look at the team doing well and see pound notes running around the pitch. The chances of all of Krul, Tiote, Cabaye, Ba and Cisse being here next season is absolutely minimal. I reckon he'll cash on on at least three of them. And that's whether we qualify for the Champions League or not."

Over-wrought expectations? For most fans, those were left hanging on the Tyne Bridge with that famously over-excited and over-optimistic banner commissioned in Kevin Keegan's time: "Newcastle United: Premier League champions 1996."

Wonder if the Mackems have picked up on this article yet :iamatwat:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2130953/Newcastle-Sunderland-face-battle-hold-best-players.html

Newcastle and Sunderland face battle to keep hold of their best players

By Colin Young

PUBLISHED: 12:03, 17 April 2012 | UPDATED: 13:31, 17 April 2012

Fans of Newcastle and Sunderland may well have examined the PFA player of the year nominations and wonder what some of their players had to do to warrant inclusion.

Hopefully their fellow professionals will redeem themselves when the teams of the year are announced as the senior and young player awards have been whittled down to just six and no one can really argue the final names.

It is a shame however that Demba Ba has not sustained his unstoppable path to goals since his return from African Cup of Nations which would have propelled him into the top six (just don't ask me at whose expense).

The free signing was the striker of the first half of the season, and totally unplayable. Since the introduction of Papiss Cisse, Ba has failed to find the net with such regularity, and the spark seems to have gone from his game. The enforced rest of the last ten days can only have helped him.

In the younger section, Tim Krul is unfortunate that Joe Hart stands before him, but he must be the reserve choice.

Like Ba, the Dutch keeper has been linked with Chelsea, and he has rightly received attention from such clubs in need of young, reliable, footballing shot-stoppers. He ticks all the boxes but with a European return in touching distance, Krul has plenty incentive to stay on Tyneside.

Sunderland supporters would look at Stephane Sessegnon as their outstanding talent and one of the few players who would not look out of place in the top six, and in the company of the PFA's top six. One of the priorities of the summer will be to ensure Sunderland keep their magician but sadly Martin O' Neill must have realised he is some way from offering European competition as an incentive to stick around.

Sessegnon, arguably the most exciting footballer Sunderland has ever seen, was not exactly renowned for loyalty at his French clubs, and Paris St Germain, and the many benefits a return there would bring, are sniffing around. Among others.

But Sessgenon has thrived under O'Neill, and although rumours of homesickness persist, he does like the adoration of the Wearside public.

O'Neill will be prepared to work his own magic to keep him, even if selling Sessegnon would bring financial rewards, and the inevitability of reshaping his team.

None of the three above will make the PFA team, but they have made a difference up here, and along with Fabricio Coloccini, Cheik Tiote, Yohann Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa, Seb Larsson and James McClean have given the opposition plenty to think about every week, even if they were overlooked when the voting slips were handed out.

And they will all be key to next season, and the next steps for the two clubs, one which has virtually qualified for Europe unexpectedly, and one which can still only dream of such things. A reality that hurts.

You need look no further than the Barclays Premier League's own categories for their best moments in Premier League history vote to work out where Sunderland stand in comparison to their rivals.

I know that the very suggestion that Newcastle have had better players, achieved more, entertained more, imprinted their name on the minds of the whole nation, and beyond, and 20 years on, still have the edge over Sunderland must make me a Geordie. But last week I was accused of being a Mackem, the week before that a Smoggie, so I can live with that. And the votes don't lie. Do they?

I was hoping to finish this week's column with a recommendation to all fans from the North East to back the public vote for the best moments and players of the last two decades of the Premier League. And then I looked through all the categories. And sadly those of a red and white persuasion will only be able to back Craig Gordon for the save of the last 20 years (which it possibly was). They could vote for Shay Given's save in the 2002 Wear-Tyne derby but that seems unlikely.

The Premier League has created shortlists for 11 categories, five of which will be determined by a public vote and six by a panel. The public will be able to vote for Goal of the 20 Seasons, Match of the 20 Seasons, Save of the 20 Seasons, and Celebration of the 20 Seasons.

And looking through the lists there are plenty of names and moments for fans up here to support. So here's a guide to backing the North East (well ok Newcastle) and putting it firmly on the Premier League map.

Goal of the 20 Seasons

Alan Shearer – Newcastle United v Everton – 01/12/2002 (2002/03)

Match of the 20 Seasons

Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle United – 03/04/1996(1995/96)

Newcastle United 5-0 Manchester United – 20/10/1996 (1996/97)

Save of the 20 Seasons

Shay Given – Sunderland v Newcastle United – 24/02/2002 (2001/02)

Craig Gordon – Sunderland v Bolton Wanderers – 18/12/2010 (2010/11)

Goal Celebration of the 20 Seasons

Temuri Ketsbaia – Newcastle United v Bolton Wanderers – 17/01/1998 (1997/98)

Lomana Lua Lua – Newcastle United – Multiple occasions

Alan Shearer – Newcastle United – Multiple occasions

FANTASY TEAM OF THE 20 SEASONS

Goalkeepers: Shay Given

Right Backs: Warren Barton, Stephen Carr

Left Back: Stuart Pearce (even if it is unlikely to be for his Newcastle spell)

Centre Back: Steve Bruce (er . . . )

Right Midfielder: Steve Stone (never played up here but he is a Geordie)

Left Midfielders: David Ginola

Forwards: Andrew Cole, Alan Shearer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2133668/Jamie-Redknapp-Alan-Pardew-decide-title.html

Weekend Watch: Pardew's Newcastle could decide the title

By Jamie Redknapp

PUBLISHED: 00:01, 23 April 2012 | UPDATED: 00:01, 23 April 2012

All eyes are on the Manchester derby now, but City must still go to Newcastle after that - and Alan Pardew’s team are playing the best football in the country.

It seems the pendulum swung back City’s way on Sunday; win every game and the title is theirs. Teams in the resurgent North East will have a say in the destiny of this title. United have a difficult trip themselves when they go to Sunderland on the final day.

Pass masterclass

That pass from Yohan Cabaye in the Newcastle game got me flying off my seat. You know the one, where he delivers the perfect weight with a pass around the corner for Papiss Cisse to run on to and slide the ball into the Stoke net.

Cabaye scored two in the game, too, and has been one of the great successes of the season, having cost £4million. He’s a pass master.