The Magedia Thread - Sunderland suck trollolololol

Rocker

Keegan can't win with any of them, Sky was the same on Saturday. It seems if we do well it's down to the players, if we do badly it's because Keegan is tactically naive. Kevin must've run over Jeff Stellings cat at some point.

Guest East Stander

No prizes for guessing which "reporter" on the Guardian wrote this with clenched gnashers!!

Sometimes it really is better to travel than to arrive. After a heavily hyped week-long preamble during which Kevin Keegan had hailed the Tyne-Wear derby as Newcastle United's "game of the season" and Roy Keane had envisaged a day when Ronaldinho might relish moving to Wearside, the match proved a horribly anticlimactic bonfire of the vanities.

Indeed, bar a quietly impressive and highly intelligent interpretation of the in-the-hole role from Michael Owen and the occasional killer pass delivered by Sunderland's Andy Reid, much of the entertainment was provided by Mike Ashley. Newcastle's rotund, replica-shirt-wearing owner descended from the directors' box at the end and, arriving in the technical area, performed a dance of limited coordination but boundless joy.

"I told him, 'Aren't you lucky you bought Newcastle?'" said Keegan. "And he replied, 'There's at least £250m for you to spend in the transfer market this summer.' Or at least I think that's what he said."

Joking apart, the alarming lack of midfield creativity on view confirmed that Newcastle need significant close-season investment if the vaunted "Kevolution" is to be realised. "These games are special - our fans are the best in the world and you don't get an atmosphere like this anywhere, not even in the Maracana in Brazil - but we never played well," conceded Keegan. "My players were only at 50 or 60% and our passing was not that good."

It was, however, a day in which the Toon Army's hitherto slow-growing respect for Owen perhaps blossomed into full-blown adoration. The scorer of both goals here, the second from the spot, was clearly operating on a different level from those around him and Keegan reiterated that extending the England striker's contract - due to expire in June next year - should be Ashley's priority. Perhaps significantly, both before and after kick-off, Owen articulated his "happiness" on Tyneside.

"Michael will be our most important signing this summer," said Newcastle's manager. "The more I see Michael I see not just a great goalscorer but a great team player and a great leader."

Sunderland looked appreciably worse without the injured Phil Bardsley and Jonny Evans in their defence and their replacements, Paul McShane and Danny Higginbotham, endured torrid afternoons. McShane, deployed at right-back, was the more hapless throughout and lost Owen as the England forward leapt prodigiously to connect with Geremi's splendid right-wing cross to head Newcastle into an early lead. But even if McShane - who later looked relieved when he headed into his own net from a corner but was reprieved because the referee had blown - was found wanting at a crucial moment, Keane's side had paid the collective price for conceding possession on the halfway line and then failing to close Geremi down.

Higginbotham was responsible for the second goal. Confounded by a one-two between Owen and a backheeling Mark Viduka, the centre-half handled the ball as Owen skipped clear of his sliding challenge. Newcastle's captain took the penalty himself but was slightly fortunate to score after blasting his kick straight at Craig Gordon, who allowed the ball to squirm beneath his body.

"We made it very hard for ourselves," acknowledged Keane, who must have been relieved to see Obafemi Martins prove unequal to a chance cleverly conjured by Owen. "We gave away two really bad goals. If you give Michael Owen two chances you're going to get punished."

Sunderland's Premier League status is widely regarded as secure but their manager demurs and mathematically they remain in peril. "I'm sick of people saying we're safe," Keane said. "It's absolute nonsense. The Premiership always takes late twists and turns."

He will be disappointed at the manner in which several of his players appeared to freeze - step forward Carlos Edwards, who failed to stretch José Enrique, Keegan's weak link of a left-back - and, worse, began squabbling after Owen's penalty.

Despite insisting he had "no regrets" regarding team selection or tactics, Sunderland's manager might also ponder the wisdom of starting Reid in a deep-lying attacking role behind Kenwyne Jones. Although the Dubliner was the game's best passer, chasing lost attacking causes is not really his forte. Tellingly Sunderland improved greatly once the lively Kieran Richardson was introduced on the left wing and Reid belatedly dropped deeper.

Even so they still mustered only one real chance, a six-yard header from Jones, splendidly parried by Steve Harper. "It might have been an interesting finale if that had gone in," reflected Keane. But an equaliser would have denied everyone the sight of Ashley's jig of joy.

Man of the match Michael Owen

Has shone when playing in the hole and has scored six goals in as many games. He was his side's most creative player, scoring twice and making chances for others

Best moment When he gave Paul McShane the slip to meet Geremi's fine cross and head Newcastle in front

A slightly more positive view, taken from F365's winners and losers section:

Newcastle United

With so much focus on Keegan's deployment of Mark Viduka, Oba Martins and Michael Owen in a clever version of a three-pronged strikeforce, it's been largely ignored that the Toon have also kept three successive clean sheets. With four wins in their last five matches, they are also in fourth place in the Form Table.

The Messiah hasn't quite produced a miracle but he has pulled the club back from the brink and inspired Michael Owen's best run of form in many a year. Good management is generally a matter of common sense but Keegan's deployment of Owen as a sort of roaming midfielder was a stroke of genius.

A slightly more positive view, taken from F365's winners and losers section:

Newcastle United

With so much focus on Keegan's deployment of Mark Viduka, Oba Martins and Michael Owen in a clever version of a three-pronged strikeforce, it's been largely ignored that the Toon have also kept three successive clean sheets. With four wins in their last five matches, they are also in fourth place in the Form Table.

The Messiah hasn't quite produced a miracle but he has pulled the club back from the brink and inspired Michael Owen's best run of form in many a year. Good management is generally a matter of common sense but Keegan's deployment of Owen as a sort of roaming midfielder was a stroke of genius.

I thought we were joint top in the form charts?

Fuking utter cunts.

We're actually top of the form table over the past 5 games, ahead of Chelsea on goal difference.

Joint top over the last 6, only behind Man Utd due to 2 goals less scored.

The turnaround has been amazing.

No prizes for guessing which "reporter" on the Guardian wrote this with clenched gnashers!!

Sometimes it really is better to travel than to arrive. After a heavily hyped week-long preamble during which Kevin Keegan had hailed the Tyne-Wear derby as Newcastle United's "game of the season" and Roy Keane had envisaged a day when Ronaldinho might relish moving to Wearside, the match proved a horribly anticlimactic bonfire of the vanities.

Indeed, bar a quietly impressive and highly intelligent interpretation of the in-the-hole role from Michael Owen and the occasional killer pass delivered by Sunderland's Andy Reid, much of the entertainment was provided by Mike Ashley. Newcastle's rotund, replica-shirt-wearing owner descended from the directors' box at the end and, arriving in the technical area, performed a dance of limited coordination but boundless joy.

"I told him, 'Aren't you lucky you bought Newcastle?'" said Keegan. "And he replied, 'There's at least £250m for you to spend in the transfer market this summer.' Or at least I think that's what he said."

Joking apart, the alarming lack of midfield creativity on view confirmed that Newcastle need significant close-season investment if the vaunted "Kevolution" is to be realised. "These games are special - our fans are the best in the world and you don't get an atmosphere like this anywhere, not even in the Maracana in Brazil - but we never played well," conceded Keegan. "My players were only at 50 or 60% and our passing was not that good."

It was, however, a day in which the Toon Army's hitherto slow-growing respect for Owen perhaps blossomed into full-blown adoration. The scorer of both goals here, the second from the spot, was clearly operating on a different level from those around him and Keegan reiterated that extending the England striker's contract - due to expire in June next year - should be Ashley's priority. Perhaps significantly, both before and after kick-off, Owen articulated his "happiness" on Tyneside.

"Michael will be our most important signing this summer," said Newcastle's manager. "The more I see Michael I see not just a great goalscorer but a great team player and a great leader."

Sunderland looked appreciably worse without the injured Phil Bardsley and Jonny Evans in their defence and their replacements, Paul McShane and Danny Higginbotham, endured torrid afternoons. McShane, deployed at right-back, was the more hapless throughout and lost Owen as the England forward leapt prodigiously to connect with Geremi's splendid right-wing cross to head Newcastle into an early lead. But even if McShane - who later looked relieved when he headed into his own net from a corner but was reprieved because the referee had blown - was found wanting at a crucial moment, Keane's side had paid the collective price for conceding possession on the halfway line and then failing to close Geremi down.

Higginbotham was responsible for the second goal. Confounded by a one-two between Owen and a backheeling Mark Viduka, the centre-half handled the ball as Owen skipped clear of his sliding challenge. Newcastle's captain took the penalty himself but was slightly fortunate to score after blasting his kick straight at Craig Gordon, who allowed the ball to squirm beneath his body.

"We made it very hard for ourselves," acknowledged Keane, who must have been relieved to see Obafemi Martins prove unequal to a chance cleverly conjured by Owen. "We gave away two really bad goals. If you give Michael Owen two chances you're going to get punished."

Sunderland's Premier League status is widely regarded as secure but their manager demurs and mathematically they remain in peril. "I'm sick of people saying we're safe," Keane said. "It's absolute nonsense. The Premiership always takes late twists and turns."

He will be disappointed at the manner in which several of his players appeared to freeze - step forward Carlos Edwards, who failed to stretch José Enrique, Keegan's weak link of a left-back - and, worse, began squabbling after Owen's penalty.

Despite insisting he had "no regrets" regarding team selection or tactics, Sunderland's manager might also ponder the wisdom of starting Reid in a deep-lying attacking role behind Kenwyne Jones. Although the Dubliner was the game's best passer, chasing lost attacking causes is not really his forte. Tellingly Sunderland improved greatly once the lively Kieran Richardson was introduced on the left wing and Reid belatedly dropped deeper.

Even so they still mustered only one real chance, a six-yard header from Jones, splendidly parried by Steve Harper. "It might have been an interesting finale if that had gone in," reflected Keane. But an equaliser would have denied everyone the sight of Ashley's jig of joy.

Man of the match Michael Owen

Has shone when playing in the hole and has scored six goals in as many games. He was his side's most creative player, scoring twice and making chances for others

Best moment When he gave Paul McShane the slip to meet Geremi's fine cross and head Newcastle in front

Pretty bad even by her jaundiced sub-standard reporting ability.

Would she have written "the match proved a horribly anticlimactic bonfire of the vanities" had her beloved Sunderland won in similar fashion. I doubt it.

Despite watching all 90 minutes I must have missed "the occasional killer pass delivered by Sunderland's Andy Reid"

In the name of professionalism she really needs to get over Mike Ashley, at the end of the day he's just a guy who's invested a lot of money in a football club enjoying himself and having some fun.

She'd be better off climbing out of Keane's assole and reporting on the gutless tactically inept team he's created. Some chance.

Keano theres only one Keano, Keano....................................................

Haha Chubby Jason, bored of the other forum? ;)

Oh yes you could say that.

That place has become a bad joke, I decided I was going to stop posting there when they threatened to delete my account because I disagreed with something Mark said. That and it is now impossible to make a single post without Deffy responding with poorly written reply explaining as to why he's going to "lock" the thread.

No one posts there anymore anyway, and it's plain to see why.

I still like it, its just the layout annoys me so i never go on anymore. Could be just on my browser.

Anyway good to see a familar face from the other board on here :thup:

Guest fraser

Caulkins never been that bad,  to be fair.

Wouldn't argue with that; it was more it had prominence in the paper itself on a Champions League day so was a comment on editors.

Newcastle stretch unbeaten run to seven as they come from behind to draw with luckless West Ham

West Ham had to be content with a point from their 500th Barclays Premier League fixture............

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=562248&in_page_id=1779

Whats wrong with that? They were the better team and we were lucky to come away from there with anything.

Most neutrals, I suspect, hope that Liverpool prevail in the second leg; certainly I do, if only for their dignified and stoical fans and likeable manager. The Scousers have done themselves a lot of credit this season, lining up foursquare behind Rafa Benitez even when they were struggling to overcome Havant and Waterlooville and losing to the likes of Barnsley. They seem to have a sense of perspective and dignity on Merseyside, something which appears wholly absent among the arriviste legions at Stamford Bridge, who throw a hissy fit when the team drops a point at home, or against those perpetually deluded monkeys at St James’ Park.

If anyone fancies knee-capping Rod Liddle, i'll chip in some money.

Most neutrals, I suspect, hope that Liverpool prevail in the second leg; certainly I do, if only for their dignified and stoical fans and likeable manager. The Scousers have done themselves a lot of credit this season, lining up foursquare behind Rafa Benitez even when they were struggling to overcome Havant and Waterlooville and losing to the likes of Barnsley. They seem to have a sense of perspective and dignity on Merseyside, something which appears wholly absent among the arriviste legions at Stamford Bridge, who throw a hissy fit when the team drops a point at home, or against those perpetually deluded monkeys at St James Park.

Jesus fucking wept!

Thats fucking bang out of fucking order that!!!!

Most neutrals, I suspect, hope that Liverpool prevail in the second leg; certainly I do, if only for their dignified and stoical fans and likeable manager. The Scousers have done themselves a lot of credit this season, lining up foursquare behind Rafa Benitez even when they were struggling to overcome Havant and Waterlooville and losing to the likes of Barnsley. They seem to have a sense of perspective and dignity on Merseyside, something which appears wholly absent among the arriviste legions at Stamford Bridge, who throw a hissy fit when the team drops a point at home, or against those perpetually deluded monkeys at St James Park.

Jesus f****** wept!

Thats f****** bang out of f****** order that!!!!

he only does it to get a reaction. it's not like anyone takes any notice of him.

Come on Chelsea!

I was thinking this morning, if West ham beat the Mancs (not beyond the realms of possibility) and Chelsea beat us, the wrath of Fleet Street will fall down on us like hailstones.

Bring it on!

I had to smile when I heard Ian Danter on Talksport talking about Newcastle's recent up turn in form the other day.

He started talking about the fact that the improvement has happened since Keegan "Stumbled" upon the 3 pronged attack formation of Owen, Viduka and Martins.

f*** off you Blue Nose t***. Give Keegan some credit for working it out himself and making it happen.

To be fair, even Shearer reckons KK sort of stumbled across it when we lost N'Zogbia & Milner to injury.

'Most neutrals, I suspect, hope that Liverpool prevail in the second leg; certainly I do, if only for their dignified and stoical fans and likeable manager. The Scousers have done themselves a lot of credit this season, lining up foursquare behind Rafa Benitez even when they were struggling to overcome Havant and Waterlooville and losing to the likes of Barnsley. They seem to have a sense of perspective and dignity on Merseyside'

Up until there I honestly thought he was obviously taking the piss.