Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

He's right when he talks about the fans and the fact that boycott it's what's needed and that it won't happen.

But I think hes wrong to say the players don't have the quality, nobody thinks we have a squad of players that are good enough to be challenging the top spots but the ones we have should be performing better than they are in the league, and are talented enough, but the desire isn't there so nobody cares, its a combination of managers out of their depth, players signed for sell on value only and the clubs ethos of "just doing enough"

Nothing fits or flows, its just a disaster.

He's right when he talks about the fans and the fact that boycott it's what's needed and that it won't happen.

But I think hes wrong to say the players don't have the quality, nobody thinks we have a squad of players that are good enough to be challenging the top spots but the ones we have should be performing better than they are in the league, and are talented enough, but the desire isn't there so nobody cares, its a combination of managers out of their depth, players signed for sell on value only and the clubs ethos of "just doing enough"

Nothing fits or flows, its just a disaster.

Tbf there has been nothing to suggest that this group of players is anything other than relegation fodder. Other than Perez there is a worrying lack of quality running throughout the squad and when you couple that with the lack of commitment on show with a manager (head coach) unable to motivate them  I can only see relegation as the outcome.

It's only our CM area that's genuinely crap IMO. Obviously the likes of Janmaat are stinking the place out but they aren't bad players. When things are going well, even Colo looks decent. Not that we don't need a new CB, obviously it would be much better if we did.

Think it's more a question of being mentally shot and a bit unbalanced. We have Mitrovic for example, who looks a threat but I can't see how we can get the ball to him consistently in the right way.

I think a lot of our individuals are better than they have played so far, or at the very least they shouldn't look out of place in a mid-table PL team.

Squad is not fit for purpose.  It's crap. Fullbacks that can't defend. Only 1 player down the spine is any good in the air. None of the players down the spine are in their prime. Lack of strength, athleticism, creativity and leadership at CM. No proven PL goal scorer.  No natural wingers. 

Team has been awful ever since Cabaye left. Worst still after Remy left.  If not for a crazy run of form where we beat the likes of Liverpool and Tottenham we would've been comfortably relegated.  I thought Pardew would relegate us with last seasons squad.  Had Cisse not won us so many points and Perez really stepping up he would've.  This squad isn't comparatively better considering the rest of the league has improved too even the likes of Sunderland.

I'm glad many are seeing this group of 'internationals' for what they are. 

“Sadly, they won’t stop coming to games. I think if ever they did boycott a game completely, I think it would get the stronger message across".

Just wish more people would get their heads around this. As long as 47,000+ are turning up every week Ashley doesn't need to change a thing. If his team is playing to an empty stadium every week he needs to change everything. Hopefully the happy clappers will take heed of Keegans wise words.

Unfortunately there's a number of happy clappers that have bought into the media shite that Keegan is a quitter and a failure because he didn't win anything with us. I've genuinely seen "supporters" put him down and slag him off smh.

Football isn't an individual game. And I individually our players aren't that good anyway.

In the right systems the likes of Thauvin, Sissoko, Cisse, Gini, Mitro, De Jong are all decent enough players. Definitely good enough to be in a non top 4 premier league club.

The problem is that they aren't suited to eachother and playing them together highlights their individual weaknesses rather than allowing their strengths to shine. Basically we've too many of the same type of player and thats a recipie for disaster

Football isn't an individual game. And I individually our players aren't that good anyway.

In the right systems the likes of Thauvin, Sissoko, Cisse, Gini, Mitro, De Jong are all decent enough players. Definitely good enough to be in a non top 4 premier league club.

The problem is that they aren't suited to eachother and playing them together highlights their individual weaknesses rather than allowing their strengths to shine. Basically we've too many of the same type of player and thats a recipie for disaster

Truth is spoken

KK is on the money as ever, and just totally 'gets the club, the supporters and the area'. I dare say that now he has spoken out, there will be some kind of media attack on him, via Ashley-friendly press, or some happy-clappers will be wheeled out to say how brilliant Ashley is. :( I've been lucky enough to witness first hand every spell KK has had at NUFC and I really can't over-state enough the impact he had on the city and the north east as a whole - not only as a player, but his spells as manager too. I'd go as far as Ashley will be terrified of Keegan speaking out, because perhaps with Shearer (who I wish would speak out more against the owner!),  he has the potential to unite the fans into a common cause. He's telling folk in this interview as to what they need to do (stay away) Sad thing is, I'm not sure enough will listen due to the mass labottomey (sp?) that's taken place at the ground over the last few years. We could do with The Chron doing a chat with Keegan, and getting it put front page, all guns blazing. Will it happen? I'm not sure seeing as how they seem to be back in with the club. :( If I wasn't at work tonight, I'd ring up Total Sport to talk about this. As it is, it might have to wait until after the match, tomorrow night.

So.... the team is bad. That's the point.

TCD - You said individually our players aren't that good anyway.

Some of our players individually are very talented, take Perez, Mitro, Gini, Sissoko as the main examples. It's just the lack of a working system that suits these invididuals and the fact that the club is rotten to the core, hence the awful attitude from players prevents them from working together properly and making a very good team.

If a team like Bournemouth had the players we had and were looking at fixing a defence I honestly think they'd be a top 12 team at least.

Can only say with any level of confidence that Krul, Janmaat, Perez & a mildly interested Sissoko have it in them to be good premier league players. The rest of them have reputations on the back of playing in nothing leagues or are middling-to-shit. We've been deluded about the quality of our players for years.

I think a different manager with a personality, drive, ambition and a board/owner who wants to drive the club forward would have this lot player at a much better level.

There is nothing for them to be motivated for, they get their pay no matter what, if they get relegated they'll go elsewhere.  No biggie to them, they've nothing to play for at this club.