Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Theres obviously a place for good female pundits, less keen on commentators mind but when you see 2/3 and one male in the studio it does take it a bit far and does wind up people rightly or wrongly. I mean i have an irrational hatred of Carney but that doesnt mean other women cant bring decent debate to the match, particularly as my hatred of male pundits is far worse(Owen, Ferdinand, Richards, Murphy, Savage etc)

In terms of presenters i couldnt care less who it is as long as they do it well and ask the right questions, more Woods less that smug bloke in suit and trainers please. That said i generally turn the sound off if watching a match at home and often in the pub if its a non NUFC match i rarely take any notice of what they say anyway. It is amusing seeing a lot of lads in the pub kicking off over it mind

It does feel sometimes that we are getting a cluster of women put in there to make up the numbers, and sometimes it's because they look a bit tasty rather than any insight they bring. There's a balance that needs to be struck, but as long as it's about the football and there's genuine passion for the game then great.

18 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I also think for the most part, that women are not funny / lack a sense of humour / make absolutely shit stand up comedians. Prove me wrong.

Caroline Ahern, Sarah Millican. 

Granted that Miranda was dire but funny women do exsist. Mrs Groundhog has a waspish sense of humour only matched, in both speed and power, by her right hook. 

If I want funny women, tho, I watch Mrs Brown's Boys. That mam is hilarious 

Edited by Groundhog63

Carney has one of the most irritating voices on the planet and I can't stand listening to her . I, like Kevin , can't stand female pundits. They are there because because of the TV diversity equality wokes. It makes it worse that virtually every sports program is lead by a female. It is happening in many sports and not just football. The women's game is nowhere near the quality of the men's game

Just now, jackyboy said:

Carney has one of the most irritating voices on the planet and I can't stand listening to her . I, like Kevin , can't stand female pundits. They are there because because of the TV diversity equality wokes. It makes it worse that virtually every sports program is lead by a female. It is happening in many sports and not just football. The women's game is nowhere near the quality of the men's game

If you're complaining about seeing more Laura Woods on TV you've got issues brudda.

The idea that women aren’t funny is absolutely baffling to me. I know a bunch of hilarious women, one of whom is probably the funniest person I’ve ever met. Women on panel shows have a hard time of it because panel shows are largely shit and the atmosphere is toxic. Loads of male comedians say the same. However, if you go to Edinburgh festival and go to some of the best reviewed women’s comedy shows they’ll likely be a fantastic standard. Got nothing else to say really, this thread has brought some stuff to the surface 

36 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

And welcome to the forum, Lee Anderson

41 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

@Disco posting from his alt again?

Edited by GEFAFWISP

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

Micah has one of the most irritating voices on the planet and I can't stand listening to him. I, like Kevin , can't stand black pundits. They are there because because of the TV diversity equality wokes. It makes it worse that virtually every sports program features a black person. It is happening in many sports and not just football.

Here's a sneak preview of how your post will look in 20 years time. And it absolutely is the same, particularly as Micah is often called irritating too, but no reasonable person who thinks he's irritating would put it down to his race in the way people are comfortable putting how irritating a female pundit is being down to their gender.

Edited by Kid Icarus

51 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Had no idea it was this bad on here tbh

the chat section has at least 3 fairly misogynistic threads on the first page at all times, like :lol:

Emma Hayes was the best co-commentator at Euro 2020 by miles btw. I think that’s the best example of what Keegan said being bollocks. I can see the point he’s making but it feels incredibly lazy.

48 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Granted that Miranda was dire but funny women do exsist. Mrs Groundhog has a waspish sense of humour only matched, in both speed and power, by her right hook. 

I haven't watched much comedy in modern times but even decades ago you had Jennifer Saunders, Joan Rivers, Roseanne Barr and such. Now you have Fleabag and probably loads more, I'm not really up to date, but it's a bizarre statement. It doesn't even belong 50 years ago. :lol:

5 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

@Disco posting from his alt again?

:lol: Oi! And anyway everyone knows it’s Robyn Cowan that grinds my gears but that’s because she talks out her nose.

Of all the pundits and commentators all the worst one are men and by a considerable distance too. Anyone on TalkSport, Savage, Matterface, Redknapp etc etc

34 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I wonder if it wasn't KK it would be the same reaction?

Judging from the posts, some are torn between loyalty to KK and their reaction to what is a pretty crass comment.

Age isn't really an excuse. In his lifetime, there have been enormous changes in attitude towards women and gay people, which he would have been very aware of. He tried to backtrack from his comments but then somewhat dug himself in deeper. 

FWIW, I genuinely think he's talking rubbish. There are some very good female pundits around - eg Sue Smith, Karen Carney. The overall standard between the genders is very similar.

Professional players can get irritated when an amateur starts to talk to them about football in a way that challenges or competes with them. You have to adopt a rather subservient tone. There is a tendency to pull rank, even within the professional game, where someone's opinion can get dismissed because they haven't won any caps or something like that. They're a competitive breed. I think that's what may have crept in here with KK. 

You don't need to list female comedians to argue women can be funny ffs, it's not about that, people who think that clearly don't think of women as actual people and will this dismiss anything they say as anything. 

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Is this Sarah “ooooh my Fanny lips” Milligan?

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Judging from the posts, some are torn between loyalty to KK and their reaction to what is a pretty crass comment.

Age isn't really an excuse. In his lifetime, there have been enormous changes in attitude towards women and gay people, which he would have been very aware of. He tried to backtrack from his comments but then somewhat dug himself in deeper. 

FWIW, I genuinely think he's talking rubbish. There are some very good female pundits around - eg Sue Smith, Karen Carney. The overall standard between the genders is very similar.

Professional players can get irritated when an amateur starts to talk to them about football in a way that challenges or competes with them. You have to adopt a rather subservient tone. There is a tendency to pull rank, even within the professional game, where someone's opinion can get dismissed because they haven't won any caps or something like that. They're a competitive breed. I think that's what may have crept in here with KK. 

Some fair points made as I love Keegan but think he’s wrong on this one but people do get defensive when they step onto the other genders boundaries, my wife for instance is always saying to me “you don’t tidy up properly”

Sorry like, I'm going to start issuing bans for anyone praising Karen Carney, Jesus Christ. Still makes me laugh thinking of when John Murray said to her on 5Live that Arsenal had recovered well because "things had looked ominous" when they'd conceded early to Man City and she said "Ooh I don't know John, I don't know what ominous means"