Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

Has the full Jimenez article been posted on here? Appears to be various 'revelations' in it.

Absolutely shocked that so many revelations are only coming out now, rather than when he had a chance to prevent himself being called a habitual liar in court. Absolutely shocked.

The Times article says something along the lines of him only being brought to the club on the pretence of scouting, etc. It was his contacts in the middle-east which appealed to Ashley and Co, and he was brought in to help sell the club to somebody there. But that was before it all kicked off with Keegan. Who knows. Proper wide-boy.

From his author's profile on Huffington Post, probably written by him:

"His strong relationships within the UAE - built up over the past 22 years - have been responsible for a number of leading Arab investors making significant investments in Europe. As Vice Chairman of Newcastle United Football Club, Tony was instrumental in negotiations to sell the club to the Dubai government. While the deal was not finalised due to the club owner changing his mind, Tony was nonetheless indispensable when it came to introducing potential buyers and leading negotiations. "

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/author/tony-jimenez/

"As a fan base we must continue to support Keegan and show those who doubt him and continue to defame him that we will never forgot what he did for Newcastle United and what he still represents."

Don't we just.

Guest firetotheworks

It's such a shame that there are a couple of generations now who didn't experience that era and probably can't fully comprehend just how important and personifying Keegan is.

Guest firetotheworks

It's such a shame that there are a couple of generations now who didn't experience that era and probably can't fully comprehend just how important and personifying Keegan is.

Wor fatha has ensured that I can.

Providing your dad's not John Carvery or Cronky, that's good to hear.

The single most important person to be associated with NUFC by a country mile. As has been said further up it's sad that any fan under the age of 30 couldn't experience his 1st time as manager here and how important he was for our club.

Can't wait to see him on Tuesday night!

Guest Howaythetoon

The single most important person to be associated with NUFC by a country mile. As has been said further up it's sad that any fan under the age of 30 couldn't experience his 1st time as manager here and how important he was for our club.

Can't wait to see him on Tuesday night!

Second only to Frank Watt IMO who basically created Newcastle United and shaped the club in its infancy to become the biggest club in world football at the time. Under his watch we won the league 4 times and the FA Cup 3 times. A colossal figure in our history and indeed the game back then. He was basically Mr NUFC for over 30 years.

Anyone who followed Newcastle in the years before Keegan will never forget what he did for the club. Bobby Robson's time was great, but Keegan's first stint as manager was magical. He put Newcastle on the world stage as a football city, fans were falling in love with us all over the globe.

Guest Howaythetoon

What is more tragic is that there are fans who witnessed not only KK playing for us, but those glorious years when he managed us, who now resent him and look back on his time as manager as a failure or with bitterness. And it’s not just fans either, such a miss characterisation of him and his time here can be found all-around inside the game from journos, pundits, ex players and boardroom figures.

Admittedly such people are in the minority, but it still boggles the mind and saddens me. In fact it angers me. A lot of that is down to the shamefull smeer campaign that was started when he quit second time around by the powers that be at the club and petty ignoramuses who regard him as a quitter, a bottler, selfish, a chequebook manager and all kinds of other things which are all simply untrue.

Many people don’t realise just what he did for this club outside of what happened on the pitch in any of his spells. He paid the wages of some of his staff out of his own pocket when he returned as manager because the club’s bankers wouldn’t sanction loans or overdrafts to cover it or because the club simply had no extra money to pay out until the finances were in order which relied on him keeping us up.

He gave the club back some of his bonuses when we was a player which I guarantee didn’t go into improving facilities or towards transfers, he also spent some of that bonus money kitting out youth players, on equipment for the training pitch or simply helping team-mates with their own finances so a player could buy a car or put a mortgage down on a house. He acted guarantor and loaned people his own money many a time.

He was even prepared to give back SJH every penny he had spent on acquiring control of the club from his own pockets if he couldn’t keep us in the then second division which would have bankrupted the club. Furthermore he was prepared to inject his own money into the club had we went down to keep it solvent so we had a club to go and watch play.

When he come back as manager first time around, he had no contract or salary in modern terms, he even had to fork out his own expenses and that of Terry Mac for example a few times. Everything was deferred until the club was safe, the ownership was concluded and all debts were sorted.

Of course he ended up being paid for his work here and richly so, but he never once held the club to ransom not as a player or as a manager and when offered shares in the club during the IPO he refused because he thought by becoming a PLC the club was once again leaving the hands of the fans the true custodians and back into the hands of money men and people who weren’t fans which is what he had worked so hard to give the fans. He didn’t want any part of that nor any part of Ashley’s Newcastle because it was wrong and not in the club nor fans’ best interests which is where KK’s heart and soul has always lay. That and the game itself.

I remember the last talk-in I went to and he was talking about how he had not only a duty to Newcastle fans but the game itself and fans all over which was greeted by a few fuck them or who cares about them and KK went on a mini rant about how the game belongs to the fans and everyone from owners to managers and players has a responsibility and duty of care.

I was gutted when he quit second time around and selfishly wanted him to stay, but I know the man and he is nobody’s fool or in it for the pay cheque or to satisfy an ego. When he left second time around a lot of fans thought he only returned because he needed the money or because his Soccer Circus was in financial trouble, but KK was then and is today a very wealthy man and always will be because he’s someone that can sell himself and is very much bankable as an individual.

He’s more of a businessman or rather an entrepreneur than Ashley ever will be and just as well for us because we needed that kind of savvy at our club on and off the pitch. We wouldn’t have had some of the players we had if not for him being such a brilliant salesman. Whatever was spent on transfers and wages, the club got its money worth and in many ways were getting players on the cheap given how they turned out and what they did. 600k or something for Rob Lee man?

Anyway KK isnt or shouldn’t just be special because he was a great player for us and built a great team and gave us so many great times, but because he’s just as special person full stop, as is Rafa, as was Bobby and Hughton. A genuine and honest man of sheer class and unquestionable integrity that elevates them above what happens on the pitch IMO.

How anyone can question the man or his time here begs belief. Even mackems like Wor Kev.

Anyone who followed Newcastle in the years before Keegan will never forget what he did for the club. Bobby Robson's time was great, but Keegan's first stint as manager was magical. He put Newcastle on the world stage as a football city, fans were falling in love with us all over the globe.

And we didn't have loads of alleged other fans in peace.

What is more tragic is that there are fans who witnessed not only KK playing for us, but those glorious years when he managed us, who now resent him and look back on his time as manager as a failure or with bitterness. And it’s not just fans either, such a miss characterisation of him and his time here can be found all-around inside the game from journos, pundits, ex players and boardroom figures.

Admittedly such people are in the minority, but it still boggles the mind and saddens me. In fact it angers me. A lot of that is down to the shamefull smeer campaign that was started when he quit second time around by the powers that be at the club and petty ignoramuses who regard him as a quitter, a bottler, selfish, a chequebook manager and all kinds of other things which are all simply untrue.

Many people don’t realise just what he did for this club outside of what happened on the pitch in any of his spells. He paid the wages of some of his staff out of his own pocket when he returned as manager because the club’s bankers wouldn’t sanction loans or overdrafts to cover it or because the club simply had no extra money to pay out until the finances were in order which relied on him keeping us up.

He gave the club back some of his bonuses when we was a player which I guarantee didn’t go into improving facilities or towards transfers, he also spent some of that bonus money kitting out youth players, on equipment for the training pitch or simply helping team-mates with their own finances so a player could buy a car or put a mortgage down on a house. He acted guarantor and loaned people his own money many a time.

He was even prepared to give back SJH every penny he had spent on acquiring control of the club from his own pockets if he couldn’t keep us in the then second division which would have bankrupted the club. Furthermore he was prepared to inject his own money into the club had we went down to keep it solvent so we had a club to go and watch play.

When he come back as manager first time around, he had no contract or salary in modern terms, he even had to fork out his own expenses and that of Terry Mac for example a few times. Everything was deferred until the club was safe, the ownership was concluded and all debts were sorted.

Of course he ended up being paid for his work here and richly so, but he never once held the club to ransom not as a player or as a manager and when offered shares in the club during the IPO he refused because he thought by becoming a PLC the club was once again leaving the hands of the fans the true custodians and back into the hands of money men and people who weren’t fans which is what he had worked so hard to give the fans. He didn’t want any part of that nor any part of Ashley’s Newcastle because it was wrong and not in the club nor fans’ best interests which is where KK’s heart and soul has always lay. That and the game itself.

I remember the last talk-in I went to and he was talking about how he had not only a duty to Newcastle fans but the game itself and fans all over which was greeted by a few fuck them or who cares about them and KK went on a mini rant about how the game belongs to the fans and everyone from owners to managers and players has a responsibility and duty of care.

I was gutted when he quit second time around and selfishly wanted him to stay, but I know the man and he is nobody’s fool or in it for the pay cheque or to satisfy an ego. When he left second time around a lot of fans thought he only returned because he needed the money or because his Soccer Circus was in financial trouble, but KK was then and is today a very wealthy man and always will be because he’s someone that can sell himself and is very much bankable as an individual.

He’s more of a businessman or rather an entrepreneur than Ashley ever will be and just as well for us because we needed that kind of savvy at our club on and off the pitch. We wouldn’t have had some of the players we had if not for him being such a brilliant salesman. Whatever was spent on transfers and wages, the club got its money worth and in many ways were getting players on the cheap given how they turned out and what they did. 600k or something for Rob Lee man?

Anyway KK isnt or shouldn’t just be special because he was a great player for us and built a great team and gave us so many great times, but because he’s just as special person full stop, as is Rafa, as was Bobby and Hughton. A genuine and honest man of sheer class and unquestionable integrity that elevates them above what happens on the pitch IMO.

How anyone can question the man or his time here begs belief. Even mackems like Wor Kev.

Bravo man.

Them years from 92-93 to 97 were absolutely magical teams were shit scared about coming to SJP because they ususally got a hiding or outplayed, we scored 5,6,7 for fun during that time

Who can forget the party in 93 6-0 up at HT against Leicester a hat trick a piece from Kelly and Cole or the 7-1 drubbing of Spurs and so on and so on I don't think the likes of them times will ever be replicated. My only thing against Keegan was his lack of tactical acumen really cost us winning the league that year (if hed just been more astute in certain games it was ours) and he really let Ferguson rattle him in the run in

Other than that he gave me the best years ive had in 40 plus years of supporting NUFC and only Bobby has ever come close

Them years from 92-93 to 97 were absolutely magical teams were shit scared about coming to SJP because they ususally got a hiding or outplayed, we scored 5,6,7 for fun during that time

Who can forget the party in 93 6-0 up at HT against Leicester a hat trick a piece from Kelly and Cole or the 7-1 drubbing of Spurs and so on and so on I don't think the likes of them times will ever be replicated. My only thing against Keegan was his lack of tactical acumen really cost us winning the league that year (if hed just been more astute in certain games it was ours) and he really let Ferguson rattle him in the run in

Other than that he gave me the best years ive had in 40 plus years of supporting NUFC and only Bobby has ever come close

That spurs game was amazing. Hadn’t we failed to win for ages before that game too?