Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

My wife wanted to buy me Sage tickets as a little present but I didn't go to because to be honest, I was worried the the sadness from back then is not too far from the surface, still, after all these years. Mad isn't it. It may sound cheesy, but that man gave me the most incredible sense of being alive I have ever felt. The 'nearly' season was ridiculous and was at a dozen or so away games including that one at Anfield but the game that sticks with me the most is against Portsmouth when we were close to being relegated to the old Division 3 and David Kelly scored in the 87th minute or whenever it was. The most intense atmosphere I have ever been in. People around me worn out through the constant noise and singing from minute one. I close my eyes and I'm back in the corner Gallowgate, being chucked about. The most unbelievable ridiculous joy any man could ever feel and the most pure unity I have felt being a Newcastle fan, 26,000 odd who knew what it meant and loved the club, pre Sky, pre -premier league.  I'm sure there are a few on here who are the same but the lads I still see now who went through the whole journey from the dark days don't talk about it.  When he left the first time as a manager, a little bit of me died that day and I'm not sure I'll ever be over it. I know when you're young and daft you love your idols and it is crazy to think now that I am grown up so to speak but the biggest compliment I could pay him is if it was possible for a heterosexual man to love another man outside your partner or wife or children, then Kevin Keegan was it.

My wife wanted to buy me Sage tickets as a little present but I didn't go to because to be honest, I was worried the the sadness from back then is not too far from the surface, still, after all these years. Mad isn't it. It may sound cheesy, but that man gave me the most incredible sense of being alive I have ever felt. The 'nearly' season was ridiculous and was at a dozen or so away games including that one at Anfield but the game that sticks with me the most is against Portsmouth when we were close to being relegated to the old Division 3 and David Kelly scored in the 87th minute or whenever it was. The most intense atmosphere I have ever been in. People around me worn out through the constant noise and singing from minute one. I close my eyes and I'm back in the corner Gallowgate, being chucked about. The most unbelievable ridiculous joy any man could ever feel and the most pure unity I have felt being a Newcastle fan, 26,000 odd who knew what it meant and loved the club, pre Sky, pre -premier league.  I'm sure there are a few on here who are the same but the lads I still see now who went through the whole journey from the dark days don't talk about it.  When he left the first time as a manager, a little bit of me died that day and I'm not sure I'll ever be over it. I know when you're young and daft you love your idols and it is crazy to think now that I am grown up so to speak but the biggest compliment I could pay him is if it was possible for a heterosexual man to love another man outside your partner or wife or children, then Kevin Keegan was it.

Well said. That Portsmouth game was unforgettable in terms of atmosphere and tension. Everyone knew the price of not winning. Get goosebumps just thinking about it - any fan above a certain age has to have Ned Kelly among their top 10 NUFC players of all time.

We were a division lower and it was a desperate struggle, but it felt a world - and more - away from the utter emptiness of today.

From True Faith: The atmosphere and reaction to Kelly’s goal still lives with Mark from Portsmouth to this day as he reflected: “I remember the atmosphere building and building for a good 20 minutes before the goal and the atmosphere was, by light years, the noisiest crowd I’d ever experienced. All 3 & ½ sides of the ground were up, baying, sucking the ball towards the goal. It was phenomenal. Something I will never forget - the two Pompey lads I travelled with and I still talk about it now and again.

"I love being a Pompey fan and on our day, we can kick out some atmosphere in my opinion. But this was the first time I’d seen a whole ground - well, a whole city really as most of the city seemed to be lining the roads when we finally got out in the coaches - up for it. The noise that day will never leave me, it was one of those classic moments to be at a football ground and I’m glad I was there."

It was a cracking goal as well. Thumping half volley from just inside the area five minutes from the end and possible oblivion. Kelly is still an NUFC legend to this day on the back of that, and no one deserves it more.

I share your feelings and am with you 100%. I am 66 now and seen and done much in my life, both football and other stuff, but nothing, repeat nothing will ever take away the utter and complete sense of total joy - an almost euphoric inner feeling - of watching KK's teams play football. I lived in Manchester in '95, '96 and worked with lots of Man U 'fans'. I was heartbroken when we blew it, but immediately realised that they - the reds - were in as much awe of our team as I was. I would die an incredibly happy man if he couldever come back (chairman?) with the financial backing to give Rafa. Oh heady days!!!

Jesus, I'm getting emotional reading those recounts of that Portsmouth goal. Especially that Portsmouth fans story.

It will never leave me either. Neither before or after it, have I felt such euphoria at a goal.

I share your feelings and am with you 100%. I am 66 now and seen and done much in my life, both football and other stuff, but nothing, repeat nothing will ever take away the utter and complete sense of total joy - an almost euphoric inner feeling - of watching KK's teams play football. I lived in Manchester in '95, '96 and worked with lots of Man U 'fans'. I was heartbroken when we blew it, but immediately realised that they - the reds - were in as much awe of our team as I was. I would die an incredibly happy man if he couldever come back (chairman?) with the financial backing to give Rafa. Oh heady days!!!

That is 100% true. I was in Manchester one day a week back then and everywhere I went the Manc fans used to start with the banter, we were their rivals back then, and they absolutely feared Keegan's team, but in a good way. A lot of them used to admit if they couldn't win it they wanted us to. Being in Manchester was like being a celebrity if you were a Newcastle fan. You would feel ten foot tall.

Guest Howaythetoon

When I talked to KK a good few years back he was quite candid in revealing there are lots of people out there who would love to buy the club, some not so ideal individuals/groups but lots of the kind who would invest in it and release the enormous potential SJH and he did. But Ashley is someone no-one wants to deal with or be associated with, again that’s why his friends are of the ‘class’ of Wise, Gray et al and whose business associates are the likes of Bishop and why the club other than Rafa doesn’t have any top people working for it. Even if he would pay the going rate I doubt anyone of note would join. He’s not a nice guy, he’s slimy, very untrustworthy and I’d say no doubt a criminal.

I went to his talk at the Cheltenham Literature Festival a few days ago and he was engaging as you'd expect and hilarious. So many people had come down from Newcastle and Liverpool which tells you all you need to know about the man. I had to wait over 2 hours to get my book and 95/97 home shirt signed but it's only because he made sure to speak to each punter for a good length of time. When it was my turn, I told him that I'm from India so he counted to 10 in Hindi which I thought was super cool, he signed my shirt and we took a picture as if I was a new signing. Genuinely a great moment for me and it was astounding that he retained such a positive attitude for hours on end despite all the pictures and conversations.

He’s genuinely an amazing guy like. Always remember when I went to watch NUFC training at Maiden Castle back in the day, he was finished and on his way home but he still got back out of the car to sign my top.

Get rid of Ashley and bring him back as director of football or chairman or emperor or whatever.

Thread title says it all. The fact he gets a standing ovation when he takes the stage says it all. He's an honourable man, who people know they can trust because he has led a life of integrity. He wears his heart on his sleeve and idiots have often referred to this as his weakness, but it his intrinsic strength. And it is why he truly is a legend.

Thread title says it all. The fact he gets a standing ovation when he takes the stage says it all. He's an honourable man, who people know they can trust because he has led a life of integrity. He wears his heart on his sleeve and idiots have often referred to this as his weakness, but it his intrinsic strength. And it is why he truly is a legend.

Totally agree - can't imagine the only one who still watches the 'I'd love it' interview and actually take pride in it.