Who Will Keegan Go For?

johnnypd

ashton would be a good signing imo. him or crouch in with shola leaving. we'd then have a decent strikeforce

as for riise - i'd rather we left him alone,  good player, but would command insane wages and i'd like to see how enrique turns out (at some point one of the spanish lads is bound to become successfull :D )

Pompey been told Shola not for sale, £7mill for Ashton is not enough I reckon Hammers will want more, hope they do coz I do not fkn want him here.

City will offer Richards a new deal worth £10 mill as both us and Spuds are after him..

Bentley staying a RoverJan 23 2008

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

KEVIN Keegan has been told not to bother trying to bring David Bentley’s career at Blackburn to an end after Ewood Park officials insisted an approach from Newcastle’s ambitious boss will not be entertained.

Sam Allardyce’s successor is keen to make at least three signings prior to next week’s transfer deadline and, with Mike Ashley’s millions behind him, the 56-year-old has handed chairman Chris Mort an optimistic shopping list.

Having watched his team struggle to break down Bolton during Saturday’s stalemate at St James’s Park, Keegan is determined to add creative talent to the limited squad he has inherited from his unpopular predecessor.

The former England boss is planning to give wingers a prominent role in the system he is trying to implement, but although Bentley’s Premier League progress hasn’t gone unnoticed, Rovers’ determination to discourage the player’s admirers is obvious. Blackburn’s chairman John Williams last night insisted that there has been no contact between the clubs, although his decision to make a pre-emptive strike suggested he expects that situation to change in the coming days.

“I haven’t heard anything from Newcastle or from anyone else, and I wouldn’t welcome any interest,” he said in a statement that amounted to a ‘hands-off’ warning. “Our position is quite clear – David Bentley’s not for sale.”

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Such talk alone will not deter those keen to offer the England international a bigger stage to perform on and, although Keegan has not revealed his specific targets, that he is seeking such high-calibre players is no secret.

Bentley’s name is understood to feature on a wanted list that is also reported to include England internationals Jermain Defoe, Sol Campbell, Michael Carrick and Micah Richards, although the latter is understood to be close to signing a contract extension at Eastlands. Some targets are more realistic than others and time is running out fast.

That the transfer deadline is just eight days away means Newcastle’s manager might have to make do in the short term and launch his recruitment programme in earnest this summer. In that time, Blackburn are keen to further secure Bentley’s services.

“We said (in recent weeks) that we wanted to sit down with David and his agent and discuss a new contract,” said Williams

last night. “We feel his performances this season are such that he warrants this and the talks are progressing well.”

The former Arsenal prospect signed an improved contract 12 months ago and is contracted to the Ewood Park club until 2011. But, given Ashley’s spending power, Newcastle can boast the resources to make the player a much more attractive offer and Keegan is determined to capitalise on the financial resources that have been made available to him.

Despite Blackburn’s reluctance to contemplate sanctioning their star player’s sale, the 23-year-old appears a likelier arrival at St James’s Park than David Beckham.

Keegan has been credited with an interest in LA Galaxy’s experienced midfielder in recent days, although such suggestions have been rejected in the strongest terms.

“There is no truth that Newcastle United are interested in signing David Beckham,” insisted Mort, who is understood to have enquired about the Dundee United captain Barry Robson in recent days. The St James’s Park chairman hopes that a breakthrough in the transfer market is close, although given the timing of his appointment, a pragmatic Keegan continues to urge caution.

Portsmouth are understood to be interested in Shola Ameobi, but Newcastle’s manager will not consider letting players leave until he has first added significant strength to a depleted squad.

United have signed three players this month, although all three are teenagers recruited with an eye on the future. Tamas Kadar joined Ben Tozer and Wesley Ngo Baheng in the North-East last week and, having completed his transfer from Zalaegerszeg, the Hungarian Under-21 international last night admitted that moving to Newcastle is a dream come true.

“I know all about Newcastle United, this is a big club in Hungary,” said the 17-year-old defender. “I know all about players such as Alan Shearer, David Ginola and the Kevin Keegan side.

“When I found out Newcastle were interested, it took me a couple of seconds to say ‘Yes, I want to go’. My aim is to get into the first team, but first I must work hard and prove myself.”

Still no concrete links with anyone

The press just taking wild guesses like the rest of us!

I wonder if our signings will be like the Keegan appointment, it will just happen and everybody will be shocked!

Hopefully.

Wishful thinking but then you have the leaks from the other clubs when a player or managers involved!

I suppose the Keegan secret was easy to keep due to that fact no other club was involved.

Still no concrete links with anyone

The press just taking wild guesses like the rest of us!

I wonder if our signings will be like the Keegan appointment, it will just happen and everybody will be shocked!

Hopefully.

Wishful thinking but then you have the leaks from the other clubs when a player or managers involved!

I suppose the Keegan secret was easy to keep due to that fact no other club was involved.

Probably.

Owen is a small, shorter striker, who doesn't really drop back much to get involved in play. Therefore we really should be looking to partner him with a bigger stronger striker who drops into "the hole" and gets involved in play a lot more, and who can hold the ball up and link up play effectively. Ashton is really good at this and he also scores goals.

The main problem with pairing up Owen and Ashton is the fact that our two strikers will lack real pace. However if we play a pair of really pacy direct wingers and two quality attacking fullbacks who get into dangerous positions, and supply good balls into the box, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Lets see how it goes.

Owen is a small, shorter striker, who doesn't really drop back much to get involved in play. Therefore we really should be looking to partner him with a bigger stronger striker who drops into "the hole" and gets involved in play a lot more, and who can hold the ball up and link up play effectively. Ashton is really good at this and he also scores goals.

The main problem with pairing up Owen and Ashton is the fact that our two strikers will lack real pace. However if we play a pair of really pacy direct wingers and two quality attacking fullbacks who get into dangerous positions, and supply good balls into the box, then it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Lets see how it goes.

Well Viduka is  just as good as Ashton if not better on his day.

Both are slow both are injury prone

We will never get Bentley, Ashton can piss off for me but I still think Curbs won't sell him, and the only reason Richards would come here would be fr a pay day and if City are going to offer him a new £10 mill contract then no way he leaves them for us.

Riise is past it now, no use to us..

People are going to have to be patient - it will not be as easy to get the players KK wants as it was when he was here before - there is far more competition now.

Ashton WOULD be a good signing(always thought he would do well here)and so would Richards, but its looking highly unlikely now ; I rate Bentley, but the chances of him coming at this time are not great - hope I'm wrong.

Time is running out and this window is very hard to get big player deals sorted in, I would be very shocked if we manage any deals at all, Keegan's targets and very important to their current clubs and we are not exactly high up the table to be an attractive club.