Keegan wants three players in the window, ready made prem stars

Guest Toon83

I wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Barnes.

However I don't think we'll get him this window - Derby have invested heavily and brought in a lot of new players in an attempt to drag themselves up the table. To let go of their prize asset would all but condemn them to relegation and undo all the work they've done in this transfer window. So I can't see it happening myself.

Best hope for us getting Barnes is for Derby to go down (Not that I wish them relegation, I'd much prefer to see Sunderland and Middlesbrough rooted to the bottom!) and then I think they'll accept a sensible offer.

Every manhas his price, Debrby arent rolling in it, we need a RW so id ather overpay for a young unproven RW like Barnes then going for a proven more expensive RW like SWP. He might be worth £6m but i think give derby £7-8m and he'd come.

Ian Murtagh is a Toon fan so don't know how much of this is made up. If we get Campbell and Robson it will be a bit of a letdown considering some of the names that have been mentioned:

KEV TO FIGHT HARRY FOR SOL

By Ian Murtagh

HARRY Redknapp is set to deliver a second snub to Newcastle by foiling Kevin Keegan’s bid to land Sol Campbell.

Keegan wants the 32-year-old central defender to be his first Toon signing.

But the Portsmouth boss, who turned down the Newcastle job nine days ago, will tell him Campbell is not for sale.

Keegan has spent several hours with chairman Chris Mort discussing transfer targets for both the short-term and the summer.

He will make a move for Manchester United’s Geordie midfielder Michael Carrick at the end of the season – when he is expected to be handed a £50m budget by billionaire owner Mike Ashley. And Manchester City’s Micah Richards, David Bentley of Blackburn and Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Williams will also be on his shopping list then.

But his first priority is to bring in three players before the transfer window slams shut.

He's already enquired about Bayern Munich stopper Daniel van Buyten, who had a spell under Keegan at Manchester City.

And Dundee United's goalcoring midfielder Barry Robson, 29, could be a surprise recruit this month.

But Keegan has identified Campbell as the ideal player to spark a Toon revival.

During his first spell at Newcastle, one of Keegan's first acts was to bring in veteran centre half Brian Kilcline and though he was only a regular for 12 months, he still calls him `my most important signing.'

And he sees Campbell as a similarly inspirational figure.

“I'm not thinking of bringing Kevin Kilcline back but these players just need somebody to talk to them more middle to back.

“To bring in three players in the next two weeks would be fantastic but I don't want to park players here.

“We've got a very small squad here and if you look at the side, you've got players who are new to the Premier League.

“I know the three players I would like but I might not get any of them. This is a difficult time to look at players.''

Campbell — who recently signed a new contract — missed Portsmouth’s victory over Derby amid rumours that the England defender is unhappy at club’s lack of ambition.

Redknapp said that Campbell missed the game with a back problem, but one caller to a local radio station claimed the 33-year-old had been seen shopping in Winchester on Saturday afternoon.

Campbell joined Pompey from Arsenal 18 months ago, but has since criticised the club for their lack of spending in the transfer market. He has also hit out at the poor training facilities, and after the FA Cup win at Ipswich he questioned the commitment of Pompey owner Sacha Gaydamak. 

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie hit back at Campbell for his criticism, but has now dismissed reports that he was on his way to St James’ Park.

A Pompey spokesman said: “As far as he is concerned it is utter rubbish."

Ian Murtagh is a Toon fan so don't know how much of this is made up. If we get Campbell and Robson it will be a bit of a letdown considering some of the names that have been mentioned:

KEV TO FIGHT HARRY FOR SOL

By Ian Murtagh

HARRY Redknapp is set to deliver a second snub to Newcastle by foiling Kevin Keegan’s bid to land Sol Campbell.

Keegan wants the 32-year-old central defender to be his first Toon signing.

But the Portsmouth boss, who turned down the Newcastle job nine days ago, will tell him Campbell is not for sale.

Keegan has spent several hours with chairman Chris Mort discussing transfer targets for both the short-term and the summer.

He will make a move for Manchester United’s Geordie midfielder Michael Carrick at the end of the season – when he is expected to be handed a £50m budget by billionaire owner Mike Ashley. And Manchester City’s Micah Richards, David Bentley of Blackburn and Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Williams will also be on his shopping list then.

But his first priority is to bring in three players before the transfer window slams shut.

He's already enquired about Bayern Munich stopper Daniel van Buyten, who had a spell under Keegan at Manchester City.

And Dundee United's goalcoring midfielder Barry Robson, 29, could be a surprise recruit this month.

But Keegan has identified Campbell as the ideal player to spark a Toon revival.

During his first spell at Newcastle, one of Keegan's first acts was to bring in veteran centre half Brian Kilcline and though he was only a regular for 12 months, he still calls him `my most important signing.'

And he sees Campbell as a similarly inspirational figure.

“I'm not thinking of bringing Kevin Kilcline back but these players just need somebody to talk to them more middle to back.

“To bring in three players in the next two weeks would be fantastic but I don't want to park players here.

“We've got a very small squad here and if you look at the side, you've got players who are new to the Premier League.

“I know the three players I would like but I might not get any of them. This is a difficult time to look at players.''

Campbell — who recently signed a new contract — missed Portsmouth’s victory over Derby amid rumours that the England defender is unhappy at club’s lack of ambition.

Redknapp said that Campbell missed the game with a back problem, but one caller to a local radio station claimed the 33-year-old had been seen shopping in Winchester on Saturday afternoon.

Campbell joined Pompey from Arsenal 18 months ago, but has since criticised the club for their lack of spending in the transfer market. He has also hit out at the poor training facilities, and after the FA Cup win at Ipswich he questioned the commitment of Pompey owner Sacha Gaydamak. 

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie hit back at Campbell for his criticism, but has now dismissed reports that he was on his way to St James’ Park.

A Pompey spokesman said: “As far as he is concerned it is utter rubbish."

Kevin Kilcline - just noticed that - can probably disregard this then.

However I don't think we'll get him this window - Derby have invested heavily and brought in a lot of new players in an attempt to drag themselves up the table. To let go of their prize asset would all but condemn them to relegation and undo all the work they've done in this transfer window. So I can't see it happening myself.

Best hope for us getting Barnes is for Derby to go down (Not that I wish them relegation, I'd much prefer to see Sunderland and Middlesbrough rooted to the bottom!) and then I think they'll accept a sensible offer.

Every manhas his price, Debrby arent rolling in it, we need a RW so id ather overpay for a young unproven RW like Barnes then going for a proven more expensive RW like SWP. He might be worth £6m but i think give derby £7-8m and he'd come.

Of course every man has his price, but the cost to Derby of getting relegated is massive compared to getting £7-8m for their best player.

I'd be massively surprised if Derby sold Barnes in this window. They'd be throwing away far more money than they could recoup from his sale.

Of course every man has his price, but the cost to Derby of getting relegated is massive compared to getting £7-8m for their best player.

I'd be massively surprised if Derby sold Barnes in this window. They'd be throwing away far more money than they could recoup from his sale.

Well it comes down to how much profit they want and how muchthey need the money, i think they know that they arent staying inthe premiership and it comes down to whether they want £4-6 million in the summer in the Championship or £6-9m now for the Championship, deep down the people in charge will know they are going down.

Well it comes down to how much profit they want and how muchthey need the money, i think they know that they arent staying inthe premiership and it comes down to whether they want £4-6 million in the summer in the Championship or £6-9m now for the Championship, deep down the people in charge will know they are going down.

I don't think Derby have given up hope of staying up. They've brought 5 new players in and are looking to bring at least another 2 in during this window. They've got a massive task ahead of them and it would be nothing short of a miracle if they stayed up, but that's what they're still hoping for.

Anyway, time will tell. I'd be delighted if we got Barnes this window but I just can't see it. No harm in us asking the question though.

Guest LucasUnger

just splash the cash on every single player we are linked to.

would cost us about 150 mil and gives us a squad of 50 players......

:)

Every player we're linked with is a defender just about! :lol:

I know, what is going on?  We get the return of our most attack minded manager ever, we draw at home 0-0 and we get linked with nowt but defenders, the world has gone mad.  bluelaugh.gif

Nicky Shorey = Overrated.

Exactly, flavour of the month if you ask me

Pretty hopeless defensively, we get forward well though. Fairly predictable Keegan signing.

Completley unnecessary though if Keegan actually has any belief in Enrique.

Pretty hopeless defensively, we get forward well though. Fairly predictable Keegan signing.

Could be a back up signing, think Enrique needs to improve attackng wise.

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2244196,00.html

Keegan prepares audacious bid for Richards

Louise Taylor

Monday January 21, 2008

The Guardian

Micah Richards is one of three players Kevin Keegan hopes to sign for Newcastle United before the transfer window closes at the end of this month. Although Keegan is already understood to have made contact with the Manchester City defender's representatives, Sven-Goran Eriksson is unlikely to accept the loss of one of his team's brightest talents.

Keegan's only hope of a deal is that City are unwilling to pay the versatile Richards, still only 19 but already a full England international, the £70,000 a week he is demanding and might sell him if offered enough money.

Keegan is also keen on another of his former City players, Daniel van Buyten. Now out of favour at Bayern Munich, the 29-year-old Belgian central defender impressed during a loan spell in Manchester in 2004 and his agent, Christophe Henrotay, said yesterday: "Daniel would like to carry on doing his job at Bayern but I have said to Kevin: 'Anything can happen; the truth today is not the truth tomorrow.' And Daniel appreciated Kevin's management at Manchester City."

Newcastle's new manager is also interested in Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips and Wayne Bridge, Tottenham's Jermain Defoe, Blackburn's David Bentley, Manchester United's Wes Brown and Dundee United's Barry Robson, but admitted: "I might not get any. To bring three players in - and I know which three I'd like - during the next two weeks would be fantastic.

"Last time [in his first stint as Newcastle's manager] we fetched in players who some people didn't think were right. We weren't going to get the very best and we sometimes got ones with warts on that had had a problem somewhere. I'm not saying we want difficult or awkward players but that's what we did last time."

Any signings are likely to boast Premier League experience, "players who don't need much settling in," said Keegan, who has recruited his former mentor Arthur Cox to his staff. Cox, 68, is unlikely to have met anyone in football as eccentric as Mike Ashley, Newcastle's owner. "Mike asked me to sign his [replica] shirt," said Keegan. "I refused. Only kidding - we've got a fantastic owner, he's given us a lot of responsibility and we've got to make sure we encourage him to stay in this for the real long haul. We don't want to do anything that's going to make him despondent and that's the challenge for us. If we get this place going we will have the best owner in the country."

Could be a back up signing, think Enrique needs to improve attackng wise.

Other areas are more important, we need players who will come into the first team immediately first, not squad players.