Keegan wants three players in the window, ready made prem stars

Guest Toon83

Think we'll probably end up getting Van Bueyten on loan and nobody else. (EDIT: Maybe that Barry Robson fella on the cheap as well)

In a week or so Keegan will realize how ridiculous prices for established premiership players has become and will just end up saying "f*** it.

"20m for Bentley! That's more than I payed for Shearer!  :rant:"

Aye, if only they had internet and TV up in Scotland, cos prices were cheap until 3 years ago.

Think we'll probably end up getting Van Bueyten on loan and nobody else. (EDIT: Maybe that Barry Robson fella on the cheap as well)

In a week or so Keegan will realize how ridiculous prices for established premiership players has become and will just end up saying "f*** it.

"20m for Bentley! That's more than I payed for Shearer!  :rant:"

Aye, if only they had internet and TV up in Scotland, cos prices were cheap until 3 years ago.

You can't deny that prices have skyrocketed in the last year or two.

Reckon we would have gotten 10m+ for Jenas if we were selling him today.

I don't think there will be any big signings myself.

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

OK, only 3 players, but transfer fees have been ridiculous for years. I'm sure Keegan is aware of it, worst thing now is we'll have a reputation as being money-bags and teams will look to screw an extra few million out of us.

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

OK, only 3 players, but transfer fees have been ridiculous for years. I'm sure Keegan is aware of it, worst thing now is we'll have a reputation as being money-bags and teams will look to screw an extra few million out of us.

Prices for world class players have always been bonkers. It's the price of upper-middle tier talent that has been inflated so much in recent years. cf) Darren Bent - 16m, Ashley Young - 9.75m, Michael Carrick - 18m, Yakubu - 11.25m, Craig Gordon - 9m etc. etc.

It's not that Keegan wouldnt' be completely unaware of this, it's just that the reality of how completely ridiculous things have become will only hit home when he has clubs asking for 10m+ for anyone with decent premiership talent.

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

Prices for world class players have always been bonkers. It's the price of upper-middle tier talent that has been inflated so much in recent years. cf) Darren Bent - 16m, Ashley Young - 9.75m, Michael Carrick - 18m, Yakubu - 11.25m, Craig Gordon - 9m etc. etc.

It's not that Keegan wouldnt' be completely unaware of this, it's just that the reality of how completely ridiculous things have become will only hit home when he has clubs asking for 10m+ for anyone with decent premiership talent.

Which is why our priority should be investing in our scouting network as Arsenal have done over the years.  The price of players these days, you could invest £10m in your scouting setup and if they turn up just one decent player you get your money back.  There are plenty of quality young, cheap players out there that don't come with the "Premier League experience" premium.

Guest Deep456

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

Ashley is worth 9.75 million tbh.

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

Not at the time he wasn't.

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

Young players do have a future value that need to be taken into account.

Otherwise N'Zogbia would be worth no more than £3m.

I'm quite sure Ashley and Keegan are well aware that the cost of doing business in the Premiership has risen sharply. And I'm sure they're also aware that Sky and international TV money has risen sharply as well. Taking inflation into account, the prices aren't all that silly.

Besides, when you're a billionaire, what's 10 million between friends?  If Keegan really wants a player (and can lure him to us), he will get him.

Juan Sebastian Veron

1998 - £15m

1999 - £18m

2001 - £28m

2003 - £14m

Rio Ferdinand

2000 - £18m

2002 - £29m

Nicolas Anelka

1999 - £23m

2000 - £20m

2002 - £12m (Keegan)

2005 - £7m

2006 - £8m

2008 - £14m

Young players do have a future value that need to be taken into account.

Otherwise N'Zogbia would be worth no more than £3m.

Sure. But then, Young could have gone either way. He wasn't worth £9.75m at the time, he might be now, but he wasn't then. He was playing for a poor team and could quite easily have slumped, a la Bent.

The point remains. You have to pay stupid prices for talent in January. Even more so if they're English, even more so if they're young (no pun).

Kevin Keegan's move for Micah Richards could spark a new boom in player wages, driven even higher by the ambition and spending power of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.

Keegan has set his sights on landing the 19-year-old England defender, who has still to sign a new deal at Manchester City, where he is involved in a contract wrangle.

Richards remains the poorest-paid player in the England squad on just £15,000 a week and talks over a new four-and-a-half-year deal at City remain ongoing.

While the situation drags on, Keegan, backed by Ashley's money and an offer in the region of £70,000 a week, is ready to move. And yet another club prepared to pay astronomical wages is certain to drive the going rate skyward.

Richards' plan had been to stay with City and then plot a move to a side with genuine title aspirations, but Keegan has proven in the past that he can persuade players to make decisions they had previously ruled out. Keegan will also have to fend off Spurs, who want Richards as well.

Two more realistic targets are Daniel van Buyten and Pascal Chimbonda. The former, a strapping central defender with Bayern Munich, is available on a loan deal until the end of the season, making him a particularly attractive proposition.

Chimbonda would cost in the region of £4m but there are now doubts about his character after he looked for a second move in two years.

Can someone copy and paste the article about Richards please.

Micah Richards is one of three players Kevin Keegan hopes to sign for Newcastle United before the transfer window closes at the end of this month. Although Keegan is already understood to have made contact with the Manchester City defender's representatives, Sven-Goran Eriksson is unlikely to accept the loss of one of his team's brightest talents.

Keegan's only hope of a deal is that City are unwilling to pay the versatile Richards, still only 19 but already a full England international, the £70,000 a week he is demanding and might sell him if offered enough money.

Keegan is also keen on another of his former City players, Daniel van Buyten. Now out of favour at Bayern Munich, the 29-year-old Belgian central defender impressed during a loan spell in Manchester in 2004 and his agent, Christophe Henrotay, said yesterday: "Daniel would like to carry on doing his job at Bayern but I have said to Kevin: 'Anything can happen; the truth today is not the truth tomorrow.' And Daniel appreciated Kevin's management at Manchester City."

Newcastle's new manager is also interested in Chelsea's Shaun Wright-Phillips and Wayne Bridge, Tottenham's Jermain Defoe, Blackburn's David Bentley, Manchester United's Wes Brown and Dundee United's Barry Robson, but admitted: "I might not get any. To bring three players in - and I know which three I'd like - during the next two weeks would be fantastic.

"Last time [in his first stint as Newcastle's manager] we fetched in players who some people didn't think were right. We weren't going to get the very best and we sometimes got ones with warts on that had had a problem somewhere. I'm not saying we want difficult or awkward players but that's what we did last time."

Any signings are likely to boast Premier League experience, "players who don't need much settling in," said Keegan, who has recruited his former mentor Arthur Cox to his staff. Cox, 68, is unlikely to have met anyone in football as eccentric as Mike Ashley, Newcastle's owner. "Mike asked me to sign his [replica] shirt," said Keegan. "I refused. Only kidding - we've got a fantastic owner, he's given us a lot of responsibility and we've got to make sure we encourage him to stay in this for the real long haul. We don't want to do anything that's going to make him despondent and that's the challenge for us. If we get this place going we will have the best owner in the country."

If we get Richards it'd be absolutely fucking immense. I've got no real desire for any defenders, but he is arguably England's next best and it would really outline Ashley's intentions. I think just about any club in England (and afar) would have him.

Be fairly happy with Richards in all fairness.  :lol:

But aren't City absolutely loaded too though? Be absolutely idiotic of them not to give Richards a big contract, he's top class.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Who knows with Thaskin? :dontknow: