The One Thing We Need, Above All Else...

Shak

Just seen this thread and it's pretty much on the button. The one thing people should rest assured about (those who weren't around last time Keegan was here) is that we will buy top forwards. Keegan likes his strikers and if he needs 2 he'll buy 5. I can't recall for certain but I'm pretty sure he took to the field with Beardsley, Asprilla, Ferdinand and Shearer all in the same  team last time round.  :lol:

Just seen this thread and it's pretty much on the button. The one thing people should rest assured about (those who weren't around last time Keegan was here) is that we will buy top forwards. Keegan likes his strikers and if he needs 2 he'll buy 5. I can't recall for certain but I'm pretty sure he took to the field with Beardsley, Asprilla, Ferdinand and Shearer all in the same  team last time round.  :lol:

Yes, It will depend on his backing, which from all accounts should be a large treasure chest, and his knowledge of who's out there.

we need a striker like defoe and another tall striker who he can play off?

we are shit atm, simple as that

we need a new centre midfielder who can pass the ball about to the correct men!

also a new centre half, so basically our team is wank and we need a different type of squad to be successful

Guest Micktoon

What we need is a midfielder with a footballing brain and vision. I've lost count the amount of times in the last few games when Owen has a clear field in front of him, just waiting for the ball to be slid in and the midfielder in posesssion hasn't seen it or has chosen the wrong option.

These Keegan quotes from The Journal on Saturday at least show we now have a scouting network: -

“We are beavering away but we are not looking for lots of people,” he said. “If we get anyone it will be from the domestic game, unless an absolutely massive opportunity drops on our doorstep. We have good people here who know every player all over the world. We have all the data and the computer can pull (their details) up. If an agent calls about a player we can see four or five reports on them, see them playing and make a decision, but we have tended to say that is for another day. We are concentrating on players from this country who are available – I looked at the list and, with the greatest respect, you like all the players on it but know you are not going to get some of them because of price or they may not want to come somewhere where they won’t yet play in Europe.

“So when you get around to the realistic targets – and there are not many – if we can’t get them in we won’t make any signing in this window, in or out. We have had inquiries for some of our players but don’t want to get people out, we have not got a big enough squad. Even if it were part of a swap deal I would be very reluctant.”

Owen's not a bad team player, or at least he would be if he got it to feet.

He's serviceable in that department, but he doesn't worry opponents at all until he gets inside the box.

Plays quite well within himself. I'm really quite pleased with my Inzaghi comparison, sums him up well IMO.  :smug:

I don't think it does Shakster, as Inzaghi is far better than the current Michael Owen in my eyes.

Don't agree tbh, put Inzaghi in our team instead of Owen and he'd be equally as inneffective, if not more.

These Keegan quotes from The Journal on Saturday at least show we now have a scouting network: -

“We are beavering away but we are not looking for lots of people,” he said. “If we get anyone it will be from the domestic game, unless an absolutely massive opportunity drops on our doorstep. We have good people here who know every player all over the world. We have all the data and the computer can pull (their details) up. If an agent calls about a player we can see four or five reports on them, see them playing and make a decision, but we have tended to say that is for another day. We are concentrating on players from this country who are available – I looked at the list and, with the greatest respect, you like all the players on it but know you are not going to get some of them because of price or they may not want to come somewhere where they won’t yet play in Europe.

“So when you get around to the realistic targets – and there are not many – if we can’t get them in we won’t make any signing in this window, in or out. We have had inquiries for some of our players but don’t want to get people out, we have not got a big enough squad. Even if it were part of a swap deal I would be very reluctant.”

So we've not signed anyone because their agent hasn't called us yet. Small-club-tastic.

We have good people here who know every player all over the world. We have all the data and the computer can pull (their details)

We have Paul Montgomery as head scout & the team of scouts he is building up + a computer system called Scout 7.

Guest unrealterrorist

A top class striker isnt good enough if he has no quality service to feed off, the one thing we need about all else is a good midfield with quality play makers.

Totally agree if we can get service to owen and martins they will score. O0

Guest maznislav

We need a tall, powerfull striker with fierce shooting and excellent heading, who will not fear to battle for every ball in the penalty area, someone like Zlatan Ibrahimovic in another thread I said that I think Johan Elmander for the perfect signing that we have to make in front. Get someone who have confidence in his skills and who is not afraid to lead the team in tough battles. Owen is not Shearer, he is not someone who can lead the team and score goals, if he doesn't have excellent support from the midfield. Bring Elmander or Huntellaar from Ajax and then I will be happy and I am sure that we will have a lot of good moments in the next years.

We need a tall, powerfull striker with fierce shooting and excellent heading, who will not fear to battle for every ball in the penalty area, someone like Zlatan Ibrahimovic in another thread I said that I think Johan Elmander for the perfect signing that we have to make in front. Get someone who have confidence in his skills and who is not afraid to lead the team in tough battles. Owen is not Shearer, he is not someone who can lead the team and score goals, if he doesn't have excellent support from the midfield. Bring Elmander or Huntellaar from Ajax and then I will be happy and I am sure that we will have a lot of good moments in the next years.

Jesus wept. People do realise WE CANNOT ATTRACT THOSE PLAYERS don't they?

Darren Bent.

Not doing much at Spurs so he might be available in the summer for far less than they paid for him.

Depends how much they want for him. They paid miles more than he was worth IMO, so I can't see why they'd not want a majority of that back.

He'd give us good pace, a decent touch and a knack of scoring goals though.

I dont understand how people write off our strikers saying they're crap or have lost it, yet the same people will say we arent creative enough and need a creative midfilder, am i the only one who sees the link ther?

First and foremost we need to be able to have a  centre midfiled that can dominate the team who are below us and other teams who we should be on par with, for me the most important player in a centre midfiled is the DM, its a psition we are very weak with at the mo. Get that bt sorted and the rest should follow.